SG Menace Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: SG Menace
For the heaviest headbangers. All the blistering power of the Menace series with a pure metal SG body design.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Features: 9.3
 9.2
 9.6
 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 62 comments vote for this gear:
SG Menace Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I don't know what year it was made, but my guess would be 2002 because Gibson publicited this model in 2002, it is made in the US. It goes with a 22 fret neck, it has got golden jumbofret inlays, the fret board is out of ebony, and it has a golden brass knuckle in 5th fret, its a solid top guitar and both body and neck are made from mahogany. I would say that the guitar is flat black, and of course its a SG. It goes with golden hardware, Tune-O-Matic bridge, and active electronics, 2 tone controls, 2 volume controls and a 3-way switch. It's a H/H setup, with a 490R Smoky Coils w/brass stud at the neck and 498T Smoky Coils w/brass stud as the bridge pickup, and oh yes, the tuning pegs are Grover's. // 8

Sound: I play hard rock and metal, and it rocks totally on stage! It's the best guitar I've ever had, I use it on my Marshall MG30DFX and my Line 6 Spider II 212, its clean sound is actually pretty clean even thoug it could kill a man with a little distortion, it can play screaming tones and all the way down to deep growling sound, its really the perfect guitar for me. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was already in tune the day it arrived at my doorstep, and the action is just perfect the pickups where a little to low in the front but nothing serious, it doesn't have any flaws at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've already used it live, and I had no problems with it, the hardware seems pretty strong, so, I dont think it will break, the strap buttons are really solid, no problems here, so I would take it to a gig without a backup guitarthe finish is going to last, I won't wear it of. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and hard rock, and this battleaxe is the angel of metal, it rules. I've been playing for 1 year, and I have a Behringer Strat copy, a no name acoustic, but I've playd a lot of other guitars, I'm sorry I didn't ask them how they make such beautyful guitars at Gibson, I would go on a manhunt to get it if someone took it away from me. I really love the tribal body routings and the brass knuckle inlay, I can't come in thought of something I hate about it. I've been looking at the SG godess and the Menace is just so much more heavy, it would be nice if it came with a case but hey! You won't get everything huh? // 10

SG Menace Reviewed by: Gibson122, on november 09, 2012

Features: Nice Thin Neck great speed and playability. Neck has bronze frets and a brass knuckle inlay. Black Hardware and black Pick guard. Brass output Jack, and the pickup switch is brass with a black cap. Came with a black Gibson Hardshell Case. Non-locking tuners(the guitar never goes out of tune).Special Gibson symbol on the head of the guitar. // 10

Sound: I Play mostly AC/DC and man can this thing ROCK! Great Pickups that sound HOT! Nice Full Sound. I play through a Peavey valveking 100 watt tube amp and this guitar Makes me feel just like Angus.I'm sure that you can play any type of music on this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Took it home and the action was perfect, nice height and zero fret buzz. Very comfortable to play. Nice Matte Black Finish. There wasnt any flaws and i wouldn't change anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for two years and the matte finish has worn to almost a gloss where my arm rubs but other that that it has a very tough finish. I would easily take this as my only guitar to a gig. I think that this guitar could withstand anything that you could possibly put it through. // 9

Overall Impression: I Have been Playing For About 3 years now, and i'm sure that i will never regret buying this guitar while i could(Limited Edition).I love everything about this guitar and i wouldn't change a thing.If your interested in buying a Gibson SG Menace they are very hard to come by, but i have seen them pop up on eBay and other sites.I Highly Recommend this guitar to any type of guitar player. // 10

SG Menace Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 1000

Purchased from: Avenue Guitars

Features: Read the former review for the features in-depth... 490/498 humbuckers, all mahog body with a rosewood fretboard. Light. Gold/black chrome hardware. Faded trans-black. The 498 can take some getting used to as it is Hot! // 10

Sound: I play an SG Standard, Raw Power and Menace. The Menace is my fave for anything from clean tones-guitar and Vox only, for blues rock metal too... This IS the most versatile SG I have played, and only play SGs. The bridge bucker is a screamer, the fret bucker is warm, but much ballsier than your 57s. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit, finiosh and action are perfect. I took a long time choosing the right axes. The grains through the finish are perfect, unplugged it sounds like an Acoustic guitar, the action is f'n fast-i don't shred but I'm sure those guys would have no problems. This guitar is solid and perfect. I am interested to see how close the Goth series and the Voodoo is to the Menace, and hope Gibson contiues these ltd SG Specials. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only reason why I have one of my other Sgs for back up is purely for the variations in tunings... The reliability of thi sbeast is no question-it has proved it WILL get the job done-alone! // 10

Overall Impression: I play 60s-70s acid rock, grunge rock, some industrial. I would not purchase it again, I would hunt the SOB down, beat him with the guitar, and take it home and jam because its that meaty! // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Grace Potter Signature Flying V 7.8 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014