SG Robot Review

review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
SG Robot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 1222

Purchased from: dv247.com

Features: Gibson Robot SG finished in Cherry Red made in 2008 in Canada. Neck Neck Species: Mahogany Nut: Corian Nut Width: Standard Gibson: 1.695" +/- .050" Silkscreen: Gibson Logo Truss Rod: Gibson Adjustable Truss Rod Truss Rod Cover: Bell-shaped cover, stamped "SG" Rosewood Fingerboard Number of Frets: 22 Scale Length: 24 - 3/4" Body Body Style: SG Body Species: Mahogany Body Type Solid Body Cutaways: Double Cutaway Hardware Plating Finish:Chrome Tailpiece: Data-Transmitting Tailpiece Bridge:Tune-Control Bridge Tuners:Powertune Satin Nickel Electronics Neck Pickup: 490R Bridge Pickup: 498T Pickup Covers: Yes Controls: 2 Volume - 2 Tone - 3-Way Toggle - (includes Master Control Knob) Control Pocket Cover: Smoky Transparent Acrylic Special Features Locking Neutrik Jack, Charger with Powerplug, Rechargeable Battery Pack Accessories Case: Type: Gibson Hardshell Interior: White Case Exterior: Black Silkscreen: Gibson USA Logo 1/4" jack cable 2m Truss Rod Adjustment Tool 3 Gibson Custom Black Plectrums // 10

Sound: Not sure if it's the guitar or my amp but with both pickups selected and set to 10 in can sound a bit muddy, I tend to roll back the neck pickup to about 6 which produces a fantastic sweet tone which oozes warmth. I have not yet changed the strings it came with as I only got it 2 days ago! This could well account for the muddy sound because un amped notes on the G string sound a bit flat and muted. This guitar is set up for light to medium string plucking and infact on one of the pieces of paper it came with it actually recomended raising the bridge for playing in a more heavy handed style. Although I have play for about 10 years I have only recently started getting seriousd about my playing so I can't really coment on how it suit's different stlyes as I can't play them but it can make a wonderful bluesy tones as well as with the bridge pick up selected produce a great sound for the Pink flyod confortably numb solo! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was a touch high for me but was a piece of cake to drop with he great design of the Tune-o-matic bridge. Pickup adjustment was spot on. Beautifully smooth frets great for bending. Just one flaw undaer the lacquer for which I'm taking it back to the retailer who is going to have that spot re-lacquered. I'm sure this is very rare from Gibson but it happened to me! Wood is flawless. Pickup selector produces no noise. The knobs all turn nice a smooth, however all the knobs barring the MCK (master controll knob for the electronics) turn slightly off center as they rotate. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Will easyly withstand any live playing you want to throw at it. Of course the hardware will last its a Gibson! Treat it right and it will outlive you. Strap feels perfectly solid no hints of it popping off. Would not feel any need for any sort of backup on a gig. If looked after the Nitroselulose lacquer will Live for many many years. My cousin has a 1978 Les Paul Custom also with the same lacquer which has stood the test of time well without discolouring of cracking so I can't see why this wouldn't, it's a Gibson after all. The robot electronics remains to be seen, the first production run were released 7th Dec 07 so hasn't been long enough to find out. But I'm sure they will be fine if serviced and treated well. // 10

Overall Impression: Stunning to look at. Wonderfull rich colour, wonderfull rich sound. Compaired to my Aria Pro II Excel Series which is about 15 years old which I bought 2nd hand 10 years ago, the Gibson holds its tune far better, mostly because the Aria has a Flody Rose. The electronics on the Aria are a bit crackly when adjusting volume/tone and pickup selection. If my uncles 78 Custom is anyhing to go by the SG hopefully wont have these problems in 15-20 years time. If it were stolen I would hunbt the person down and kill him before taking it back! I seriously doubt anyone is going to loose a $3600 guitar but hey if I did I can't replace it as its a limited edition which is now discontinued! But would go for another SG. Things I love are the looks and the super cool robot features! Bad points, well its nothing wrong with the guitar just my preferance but I personally prefer a satin finish nech and this is gloss. I spose because I'm used to the Aria after so long. And still getting used to the 50's style C shaped neck, again most likely because the Aria had a far more Fender type dimentions on the neck. And yes there is something I would like to add! This body shape is nearly 50 years old and it looks 100% modern and aggressive, just goes to show great design is timeless! // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9.1 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014