SG Special Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: SG Special
With the classic horns of the SG body, the power of dual humbucking pickups and a choice of traditional or modernistic finishes, the SG Special offers the best combination of features and value in the SG line.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 8.8
 8.5
 8.8
 8.1
reviews (24) pictures (5) 56 comments vote for this gear:
SG Special Reviewed by: S0ulja23, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Charles Music Store

Features: Alright, so this is an american made 2004 SG Special (Wine Red). It has 22 frets, pearl dot inlays, a rosewood fingerboard and a 24 3/4" scale. The double cutaway gives great upper fret access. It's equipped with 2 alnico humbucking pickups (490r/490t). The local music store where I got it from came with a case, which is great for protecting this instrument. // 10

Sound: I play mainly blues/rock type of stuff and the alnico pickups were just great for that. The treble pickup is a bit too twangy when played without and distortion though, so I mainly use the neck pickup. I am currently running it through a Line 6 PODXT and a Vox V847 wah, and this guitar sounds great through all of the presets. It's quite versatile and it can go from playing blues to hi-gain metal. Other than that treble pickup being to twangy, this guitar is great! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I got this used, the action was a bit too low when I got it. Thanks to the Tune-O-Matic bridge though, that problem was easily fixed. Also I noticed that its a bit noisy when switching pickups, and the fingerboard is a bit coarse (just a little bit) but other than that, it's great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar in about 3 gigs already (my only gigs) without a back up and there were absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. The hardware seems like it'll last a decent amount of time, and the strap buttons are ok. I've never had it fall of its strap during a gig, although it did fall once while I was playing at home. I recommend installing strap locks. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is great for the price. I've found that it suits the blues perfectly although I might swap the pickups with '57 Classics for more versatility and better tone. If this thing were ever stolen or lost, I'd probably assasinate whoever stole it, as this guitar means a lot to me (this is my first high quality guitar). I love the wine red finish, it makes it seem so elegant, and the dual cutaway horns gives great upper fret access. I also love how light it is compared to other Gibsons. Compared to other guitars in this price range, this is great. // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Sound: I play mainly pop-punk and pop-rock and it sounds amazing. My old band was doing a harder kind of rock, almost screamo and this guitar fit perfectly as well. I play my guitar out of a Crate GLX1200H 120W Head and some old '80s Fender cabinet (I don't know the model, sorry) and it sounds amazing. The clean sounds are great and the distorted sounds are incredible. There's no hum on this at all. I love everything about this guitar, I have no dislikes whatsoever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it at Guitar Center used. The guitar is 7 years old and it was set up amazingly. The pickups were and still are amazing. The only problem I've had is that the D string tuner fell off. But I was told that's because the tuner is faulty. Otherwise, nothing else was wrong. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pop-punk and pop-rock and this guitar is a perfect match. I have been playing for 4 years and this is my dream guitar. I own 2 Fender Tom Delonge signature models, a Fender Precision Bass, a Fender acoustic, Vesporo classical acoustic, and Peavey Raptor Plus and this guitar is byfar the best out of all of those. If this guitar were stolen, I'd find the person who stole it, kill them, and get my guitar back. If it were lost, I'd buy another one in a second. I love everything about this guitar, there's nothing to dislike. I compared it to the Epiphone G400 and the Gibson SG Special Faded and this one blew them out of the water. I chose this one because its basically my dream guitar. I wish I could get one of these in white, but thats a discontinued color. I guess I'll finish this by saying that I always thought I'd want a Les Paul. I played one and I just didn't like it compared to my SG. I like the SG because they're so lightweight compared to the Les Paul and they are so easy to get high up on the neck with. Buy an SG Special or an SG Standard, you won't regret it. // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: SeanX3187, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: My guitar was made in Nashville, Tennessee USA on April 29th 2004 (Serial Numbers for the win!) It has 22 frets, with a 50's style comfortable thick neck profile and also has a rosewood fretboard. Solid top, all mahogany neck and body with a high gloss nitrocellulose finish. Average Gibson SG body shape that's very thin and lightweight. Tune-O-Matic Bridge. Passive electronics that include 2 volume and 2 tone pots with a 3 way Switch. 2 humbuckers, volume and tone knob for each pickup, and treble setting on Switch activates the bridge pickup, the rhythm setting actives the neck pickup, and the middle is both. Non-locking tuners, Gibson Deluxe brand. It came with a bag and a strap but I bought it used, I think Gibson includes a gig bag with the purchase of a new one. // 10

Sound: I play punk and ska, and I think this guitar is incredible for both. I use this with a JCM 900 4100 Head and a 1960AV cab. It's not very noisy, but not dead quiet (although that's very difficult to come across). Gibson's 490R and 49OT uncovered pickups (R for rhythm and T for treble) give you the flavor of Gibson's original '57 Classic pickup, but roll the output and midrange grind upward a few notches. I personally think this guitar can do anything you want it to. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know for sure how it was set up from the factory as I bought it used, but from what I play at Guitar Center, it seems to be just a bit better than mediocre, but still nice. It was much better when I got it. The pickups were adjusted wonderfully (on Guitar Center SG Specials) and even better on my used one. The top isn't perfectly mirrored, but is very close. And the bridge is routed wonderfully. Nothing on my guitar would be considered "flawed" by the description given, so I'm going to say it's "flaw"less. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Mine is only from 2004 so it hasn't been around long enough for live playing to have much of an effect on it, but I know that this guitar will last years and years of Live shows. I had a slight issue with my strap buttons, but I got straploks for it so it would stay on the strap much better, but other than that, the hardware seems mint and will probably stay that way. I can depend on it, and would use it without a backup, but i got an Epiphone g400 as a backup just in case *knock on wood*. Gibson puts this guitar through 15 coats of nitrocellulose lacquer, so it'll be good forever, and will allow the guitar to breathe and encourages natural vibration for purer tone. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk and ska, and I can't think of a better guitar to play it with. I've been playing for about 10 years, and I have a few guitars by Epiphone and Squier, and my Marshall jcm 900 half stack. I wish I asked about the strap buttons so I could have bought the straploks sooner, but oh well. If it were stolen, I'd hunt another one down for the price I got it for in this exact finish and buy it again. I'd have to save for a while because I'm really poor, but I would definitely buy it again. I love how light this guitar is, at just around 6-7 pounds, it's so easy to have on your shoulders for concerts. I don't hate anything about it. I compared it to the new Epiphone g400s, and the Gibson SG Standard, and I decided on the special because it was better than the g400, and simpler than the Standard and costs less. I wish it had a pearl logo, because the gold logo is kind of lame, but that's just a minor detail. I love this guitar. // 10

Purchased from: Raytown Studios

Sound: I mostly play hard rock/metal and this guitar can nail the "grunge" sound I look for. I am using a Marshall Half Mode MF450 stack with a Boss GT-8 effect board. It's not very noisy and it only has 2 different sound without effects. I also don't like how the bridge is so far up the body so it's more difficult to palm mute. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up fine. The neck is a little warped though. The pickups are fine but I put my own Seymore Duncan Dimebag Darrell humbuckers (SH13) in it to make it sound heavier. The pickup selector is also "staticky" when you Switch picups. // 3

Reliability & Durability: The hardware in this guitar doesn't seem like it would last very long because it's already starting to crap out and I've only had it for 7 and a half months. I definetly would not use this guitar on a gig without a backup. The strap's hold fine but the finish is wearing off where I strum my picks. I guess that's probably normal but my other guitars have lasted much longer than this one. // 1

Overall Impression: I play hard rock/metal. This guitar has the right sound to match what I need, just it lacks the palm muting ability. I have been playing for 5 years now. I have a custom-made Carvin DC135 and a '70s style Fender Strat. I bought this Gibson because I've seen many other guitarists with an SG and I wanted to see what the buzz was about. Now I know that there is no buzz for me. My favorite thing about this guitar is the body style. I hate the bridge being so far up the body because it makes it hard to palm mute. I wished I would've asked to try the guitar out for 7 and a half months to see if it would last. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would definetly not buy another one like it. Ever. // 2

SG Special Reviewed by: guitardude98, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Gibson SG Special: - Made in: Nashville, TN - Body: mahogany - Neck: mahogany, rounded, neck joint at 19th fret - Fingerboard: 22 frets, no inlays (on mine anyways) - Color: platinum (super cool looking) - Finish: brushed chrome - Tailpiece: stopbar - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic - Pickups: 2 Alnico magnet humbuckers - Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone and 3 way Switch (lead, rhythm or normal). // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock, some metal, and this guitar is perfect for it. I don't have a very good amp but this guitar still sounds amazing. It sounds great with lots of distortion and pretty good clean too. The lead setting on the three way Switch is great for soloing and the rhythm setting is great for backup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar at a scratch and dent sale, so the only thing wrong with it is a tiny little scratch you can barely see. Other than that, everything fits perfectly. The double cutaway is awesome for reaching high frets. The paint finish looks awesome and everything is sturdy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't play any concerts, but I'm pretty sure I could with this guitar. It's solid all aroud. Sometimes the strap falls off but that's probably the strap not the guitar. I wouldn't use a backup with this guitar, mostly because it wouldn't sound half as good! The finish hasn't worn off at all, but I haven't had the guitar very long. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for rock. I got it for a great price and even though I've only been playing a year I hope I will get better so I can play the SG Special like it deserves to be played. This was the best looking guitar I saw in the whole store when I bought it. It looks amazing, plays amazing, and sounds amazing! // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: angus_young01, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

Features: Well, don't know when it was made, but its an american made guitar. 22 Rosewood frets on a mahogany neck, with medium frets. The neck is a lil wider than I thought it would be, but strangely I can play easier and faster on it. It's a very comfortable guitar, and extremely light, so perfect for a guitarest who likes to move around alot. I won't go into what it says to mention, because that has already been said alot, but nobody has mentioned something I was quite startled by. Being a cheaper model, it comes in a gig bag, and the gig bag is very fine quality. I have a 30 one that doesn't compare to thism, it's lined with fur too! // 10

Sound: Sound, well I had one concern, which I will point out; I was worried that it couldn't cope with heavier things due to the two open pickups, that was very foolish. It easily goes from things like Maiden to things as light and open as The Who. It really is a fantastic sounding guitar. Turn down the mids and you've got some heavy shit, turn up the mids and treb and put the bass half way and theres a perfect blues rock/ AC/DC sound. It can cope with anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I was worried that it would be a "top heavy" SG as many nowadays are, but no, its perfectly balanced. The action was perfect, no buzz at all which is odd being as low as it is. The finish is beautiful, much nicer in my opinion to the Standrad's Cherry red- its flawless. Another thing people seem to complai nabout is the tuner's, but mine are perfect, sturdy as you'd want, and I really like the look of them too. Very nice job, a high quality guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tested live playing yet, but from what I have seen it should well be perfect. The strap buttons are solid, but I use the little plactic Straplocks just to be on the safe side. The finish is lovley and thick, yet really masterfully done, its a gorgeous colour the wine red. The hardware is good, no flaws, but I would still take my crappy guitar, again, just to be safe. Although it is light, it is a very well built guitar, and will easily last years and years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I play mainly AC/DC type material, well, generally classic rock, and there is not a thing it can't handle, I think the open 'buckers allow it to do more than the closed ones of the Standard, having the option for lighter things. Also, Maiden, Ozzy, stuff liek that, and it sounds awesome. If it were stolen I'd get another, and it really is perfect for the price. Overall an amazing guitar. // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in 1999 in the US of A. The neck has 22 frets with pearl inlays, thinner neck than most Les Paul models, which is typical of the SG. The finish on mine is black, and it is flawless. It has 2 volume and 2 tone controls and a 3-way pickup selector. It has two humbuckers, a Gibson 490t Alnico V humbucker in the bridge and a Gibson 490R Alnico II Humbucker in the neck position. It came with a decent gig bag. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds great and has a nice thick full sound thanks to the Gibson Alnico pickups. I'm running this guitar through a Marshall JCM800, a really old Fender Twin and my Fender Blues Jr. practice amp. I can get everything from a bright sound, almost country, to heavy metal. Considering I play just about everything but modern punk this is important. I might recommend a pickup change in the rhythm humbucker because it it is a tad muddy depending on the amp setting but not too bad. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Now, the factory setup wasn't good, however I've seen much worse. After adjusting the pickup heights and lowering the action a little bit it was good to go. I had to file the 12th fret a little bit because it was a little sharp on the edges. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems to be as durable as my pre-cbs Stratocaster I bought almost 45 years ago. But I haven't had any problems in the 6 years I have owned this one besides the pickup selector being a tad loose. The paint job seems solid, well as solid as it can be, since I abuse this guitar a lot more than my precious Strat. There is only one spot on the back where the paint is gone due to a freak accident with the bookshelf. I would have no apprehensions about bringing this guitar to a gig without a backup, as I have several times. // 10

Overall Impression: For any hard rock or metal, this guitar flat out kills. I love the looks and I needed a guitar under $1000 that would still sound like a high end machine because nobody in their right mind would want to bring a pre-cbs Fender or a Vintage Les Paul Standard (Well if I really had a Gibson Les Paul Standard) to a gig. This guitar fits this need perfectly and also has been a great axe to own. I would reccomend this guitar or any rock player, especially the one that plays live and doesnt want to haul around a heavy, or expensive axe to a gig. // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: theguitarplayin, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in the USA. 1 piece mahogony body, 22 frets with a rosewood fingerboard. Tune-O-Matic brigde with stop bar tail piece. 2 Alnico magnetics with volume and tone for each one. Comes with Alnico 490's both bridge and treble but I replaced my treble with another pickup. // 6

Sound: Sounds very nice with the pickup it came with but it's not a bad thing to modify it and replace a pickup to your guitar concerns. It's got a rich sound very smooth. Very nice finish. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this can be easily lowered or made higher with its Tune-0-Matic bridge. It was nicely set up but when I got the guitar the treble pickup only worled for a week then it just blew out. The coils were f--ed so I was forced to replace it whish wasn't bad 'cause I was planning on it anyways. And for some reason after like 2 months of playing it I began to see presuure cracks forming along the strap buttin and outsede of the pickguard. Kinda sucks. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Really well built will last a long time if not its got a lifetime warrenty. Made in the USA ahmen to that. Definitly a live playing guitar with the easy access to high frets. Its place in live is onstage. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this guitar is very very well for my style because it's easy to solo in the high strings with its devil cut body. I would have to buy another one if it got stolen. I've been plaing for liek almost 3 years and it wouldn't have been the same without this guitar. // 8

SG Special Reviewed by: angus is god, on november 09, 2012

Features: Along side it's obvious devil horns, the US made Gibson SG Special has other cool features as well. The pickguard is "overlaping" so it gives the SG a "whole" look instead of the half pickguard that most SG Standards have. With two volume knobs, two tone knobs, and a 3-way selector you can easily get Fuzz-face like effect just by switching to the bridge humbucker and turning the tone all the way down. It has a thin Ash body with a Rosewood 22-fret neck. Gibson deluxe classic tuners keep the guitar in tune for a long time, although the G tuner does tend to tune down a hair but it's nothing drastic that would mess up a song. // 9

Sound: The action is great for solos. The strings aren't low enough to cause buzz but they aren't too high so your fingers wont slide under the strings when bending. The way the guitar is built is a solid guitar (hence SG) the neck does not connect to the body like a Fender would which some people dislike in a guitar so look at what you like in guitar first before buy an SG. Although there is a "tick" that emits from the amp because the humbuckers but it's a very low tick that is barely noticable. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is almost built strictly for playing lead and doing solos, it has a great action, and is very lightweight. The whole guitar only weighs about 5 or 6 pounds at the most unlike it's counterpart the Les Paul. There were no flaws on my SG when I bought it, on the body and neck were equally measured so that the neck wasn't heavier than the body causing awkward play. The humbuckers were adjusted perfectly to get the maximum tone and volume. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's durible, and is reliable on all levels. I've played many gigs with my SG Special and most of the time I don't bring a backup guitar even after it's been dropped, stepped on, burned (only a little), smashed against amps, and sweat on it still playes like Brand New. I even think the sound of it gets better every over time. Since it is light it is easier to jump around on stage than with a Les Paul or a bulkier guitar. I've also noticed that the crowd likes the design better than a Strat or Les Paul. The hardware and tuners stay in place even if you drop it, keeping the guitar in tune while playing Live. Although I never had trouble with the strap buttons, I still bought strap locks just in case. The finish is thick and wear-worthy, but is also east to customize as I did with mine. // 10

Overall Impression: The SG Special is possibly the best solo and Live guitar I've ever had. From cool looks to a reliable build, this guitar kicks ass and takes names compared to other guitars that I've had. You can play anything from blues, to rock, to grung, to metal and it will sound great with all genres. I recommend this guitar to anybody Who plays Live, or if you want a guitar that will last with minimal to zero repairs. // 10

Purchased from: Soho Soundhouse

Features: Made 2003 or 2004 in the USA. It's a stripped down version of the SG Standard and it's fitted with everything you would expect from an SG. 2 Alnico humbuckers, 22 frets, 3-way pickup selector, rosewood fretboard, mahogany body, nothing that you didn't know already. Mine is Ebony, one of 3? colours I think Gibson offered that year (the others being wine red and a ghastly platinum). When buying an SG, I'm pretty sure 9/10 guitarists know what features the guitar's going to have, and this has everything you'd expect. // 9

Sound: I play in a progressive/experimental hardcore band right now. But I've used this for a few bands and a few different styles. It handles all these just great really, from heavy chuggy parts to ambient post-hardcore sections. I chose to use an SG because whilst it can handle enough gain for the heavy parts (admittedly I have to tune down to drop C# and I use 12-54 gauge strings) but it isn't too high gain and has a really warm tone for clean parts and a bright crisp tone when slightly overdriven for quick punk rock type powerchords. So for me this guitar is perfect, but if you're looking for a guitar to play really heavy stuff on this isn't what you want, no amount of gain is gonna make this sound as heavy as an ESP or some other EMG-loaded beast. I've always played this through Marshalls and well, it gives you a pretty cool, Gibson-Marshall tone. Personally I like to crack up the gain, kill off the reverb and boost my mids. All in all I get the tone I want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck on this guitar is pretty thick, it's certainly not for any lightning fast shred, and so I had to lower the action when I got it, also the fact that I put very heavy strings on it meant it wasn't as quick as I could have been, but I sacrificed some playability for sound, you don't have to and it was pretty well set up really, just not to my specifications. This guitar is a work horse, it's lasted me a number of high-octane gigs and it will last years more, having said that, you do have to look after it and the finish isn't very thick, so it'll take a lot of cosmetic damage. Personally I think an SG should look a bit beaten up and look like a road-guitar, so I'm not overly fussed at belt scratches or cracks in my finish, however, if you're looking for a guitar that won't sustain this damange, then keep looking. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As I said in the previous section, this guitar will last, but it'll look like hell. I do beat mine up though, so I can't really say how it would fair with a more considerate owner (we base our Live show on bands like the Dillinger Escape Plan and The Fall Of Troy). I changed the strap buttons for strap locks the day I got the guitar because the guy at the shop offered to do it for free, so why would I decline? but in any case, I can't say if the originals were any good. The bridge has been a bit of a problem. The saddles have burred a lot and have broken dozens of strings, so I have changed them, but that's the only real complaint I have. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is my baby, it's always done me right and it's exceptionally well suited to my sound, but that's why I chose it. It can be adaptedly to most styles of rock music, bar country and death metal. This guitar isn't perfect, the finish wont last forever and it will need servicing over the years as all guitars do, but it'll last, it's well made and sounds good if you know what you want! // 9

SG Special Reviewed by: kjd3116, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This guitar is made here in the USA, and my model was made in 2008. I've had it for over a year now, and I've decided to make a review of it. This guitar has 22 frets, a mahogany neck and body, and a three way pickup selector with two volume, and two tone knobs. My finish is Heritage cherry, and it is just beautiful! The pickups are two passive 4-90 Alnico II humbuckers. It also has a rosewood fingerboard with a tune-O-matic bridge and a stop bar tailpiece. I'm not sure what brand of tuners are on the guitar, but I think they might be Kluson. Also this guitar included a case (Which said "Epiphone on it by the way! ") // 8

Sound: The sound of this guitar in my opinion, is incredible! Clean sounds are very rich and smooth, but you can also give this guitar some distortion and gain, and this baby blows you away. I play mostly hard rock bands like Guns N Roses, AC/DC, Airbourne, Theory Of A Deadman, and more. I also like a few metal bands, and getting this thing drop tuned sound great as well! The sound is very dirty on the bridge pickup, but on the neck pickup it is very smooth and great for solos. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is just beautiful! The finish on mine is absolutely stunning, and it looks even better than the pictures online! There are absolutely no problems with the finish, hardware, nut, etc. But my biggest problems with the guitar, are the tuners, and action! The tuners help the guitar say in tune well, but they are SO loose, that when you try to tune flat, it can be a nightmare! Those things are actually pretty tight when tuning up, but down... Ugh! My other problem is that the action is pretty low, and because of that I am getting the worst case of fret buzz EVER! The buzz is on the low E string, once you pass the fourth fret. Doing power chords there is a pain when you're not plugged in, and all I can here is the buzzing noise. I even had the guitar's tension adjusted to get rid of the problem, but nope! Still buzzing. I plan to have this guitar's action raised, and I will soon put grover tuning heads on it, after that, this SG will be pretty much perfect! // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable, and can take just about anything. There are countless times in which I have banged this guitar into a wall, or dropped it on the floor, and the quality still remains great! (except I have banged it around so many times, I have a few nicks and scratches, but you know... Whatever!) The strap buttons are very solid, but my strap itself is bad, and that's what causes me to drop it so often, but that's the strap, not the guitar! If I was in a band, I would definitely use this on stage because I rely on this thing 100%. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is great for hard rock, as well as other styles of music. The finish is spectacular, and the sound is incredible. I really like how the bridge pickup gives you a really dirty, overdriven sound, while the neck pickup is great for solos. I really despise the tuners, and the fret buzz annoys me to the bitter end, but once you get past that, this guitar is a dream. If I happened to have it stolen, I would definitely have it replaced because of how great it is. For anyone looking for a guitar that can do anything, you must have this instrument! // 8

SG Special Reviewed by: LeoKisomma, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Okay, I really can't say when this guitar was made, as I got it pre-owned, however I can safely say that this guitar is more than capable of standing it's ground against many modern guitars of the same price when new (600). 22 frets, mahogany body and neck with a rosewood finger-board as it Tradition for the Gibson SG, the frets seem to be thinner than jumbo frets, but I would say that they get the job done just as well from experience of using both. The top is simply laminated and jet black for my guitar, because a pitch black SG is about as iconic an image of heavy metal as Black Sabbath. Obviously the SG has the double cutaway, but personally I think this cutaway design works much better for getting to the higher frets than the design on a Fender Stratocaster as there is a shallow groove cut away from the top as well meaning there's less wood in your way. The pickups in my guitar are the same as were installed in it when it was first made, a nice dark-sounding pair of passive Seymour Duncan Hot Rods that work really well for giving this guitar more clarity and bite to it's tone. Personally I've never liked the 'breaking up' type of tone on some Gibson guitars, so I really like these pickups in comparison. 1 tone and 1 volume control for each humbucker pickup, making a total of 4 dials with a 3-way selector switch (bridge, bridge+neck, neck). Non-locking tuners, and they seem to work very well on my guitar, as in the 5 years I've had this guitar, I have had no problems with them. // 9

Sound: In terms of sound I would say that this guitar has a distinctly dark sounds, with that signature prominent mid-range that SG's are known for, which is something that Fender Stratocasters, and even Gibson Les Pauls can lack. I have played it through Marshall JVM amplifiers, my Bogner Alchemist 40 watt head and Bogner cabinet, a Blackstar HT 40 and various other amps that I've used in the past, and I can safely say that modern hard rock, classic rock, heavy metal and blues are very easily achieved with the guitar. Perhaps the surprise of this guitar is actually in it's neck pickups, which is surprisingly natural sounding and quite throaty, which I wasn't expecting on a guitar that was basically designed for overdrive tones. Very flexible in what it can do, and you'd have a hard time finding a guitar that can do more for the same price, let alone for less than this. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup when I got it was slightly out, but it was pre-owned, so I can't say whether that was from the factory or not. Pickups were just the right height for me, and I haven't noticed any other major flaws. There has been no tarnish in the paint-job of my guitar in all the time that I've used it, not even on the black scratch-plate. In terms of how it feels to play, this is one of the best feeling guitars I have ever held. Far easier to play than a Gibson Les Paul, and much lighter too. I would probably say that this guitar neck is ideal for my hands; for those of you wandering about how it would feel for you, it's neck is slightly shallower and narrower than the usual Gibson Les Paul neck. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very, very good. I have had minor issues with several guitars, including Gibson guitars, but I can honestly say that apart from a setup issue that I admit I myself caused by accident, I have no problems with this guitar at all. No pickup malfunctions, tuner breakage, bridge issues, broken dials or switches, no paint fading issues, no unduly loose screws including the strap buttons, put simply, because this guitar is so simple there is barely anything on it to go wrong in the first place. I have a Fender Telecaster that sounds terrific, but it's always a while before I can get it in tune and get it to stay there because of the non-locking tremolo system that's on virtually all Fender guitars. With this guitar there are no such problems, and while I've had to fiddle and adjust all of my other guitars at some point before I was happy, I can safely say that this guitar was put together beautifully and had required no such adjustments yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 5 years now, and I've played to audiences of nearly 1000 people, so I can't afford to sound tacky or tiny. This guitar is one that I almost always use as a backup because I know that it will give me what I need and it won't break when I don't want it to. What would I change? I don't think I could change much without ruining the guitar, as it's made to be simple and reliable. Certainly putting active pickups in this would be a complete waste of time in my opinion, as Seymour Duncan pickups have a nice dark tone to them already. If you haven't tried one of these yet, then do so as soon as possible. Everyone has at least one, or in my case 2 or 3, guitar(s) that they will never sell. This is one of mine, full stop. // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: guitarmonkey4, on november 09, 2012

Sound: I play a variety of styles like metal, punk, hard rock, classic rock, and blues, but this guitar fits everything perfectly. I bought it because it has a rich sound and is very versatile. SGs seem to be most commonly associated with heavy metal music, but they create clean and bluesy sounds just as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I was overall impressed with the way this was set up. The metal hardware all came in good condition, the Gibson factory strings are smooth and easy to play, and everything is set for you to plug it into your amp and go. The pickup selector makes an almost constant humming noise, which varies when I plug it into different amps and change the effects settings. Besides that, I haven't found much to complain about. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely play live with this without worrying about it. The finish is gorgeous except it shows up dirt and dust easily, but regular polishing or wiping with a soft cloth takes care of that. This guitar is very dependable and solidly made, and if it isn't, there's always Gibson's warranty. // 8

Overall Impression: I play this through a Line 6 Spider II combo and it sounds excellent. I compared this to an Epiphone Les Paul and a Fender Strat and this is so much more versatile. One of my favorite things about it is it is very light and thin making it very comfortable to play. For its price range, this is one of the best guitars you can buy. // 9

SG Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I bought this guitar in a local music store of mine. I had played on Fenders, Epiphones, and PRS's, but this guitar blew them out of the water. Before I knew it, it was in my car. This guitar has 22 frets on a Rosewood Neck. It came with Gibson 490 pickups in both the bridge and neck positions. This guitar is fairly standard compared to the rest of the Gibson SG's. // 7

Sound: This guitar sounds good. But, with a little tweaking done to it, it will sound great. I have put a '57 Classic in the neck and a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge. But, the stock pickups were still ok. They were a little muddy in the lower register, but OK. I play Rock'N'Roll, Hard Rock, and Blues and this guitar fits all of those styles (especially the Blues). I play it through a Line 6 Spider II 212 with a Dunlop Crybaby and sometimes a Boss BD-2 and it sounds nice. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought mine used, so I am not sure how it was setup out of the factory. It has many knicks in it (I am going to hunt down and hurt whoever owned this guitar before me because they don't know how to take care of it). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played a contest and a couple of private gigs and this has held up extremely well. I would never use any guitar without a backup, but this guitar is extremely well built, so I can rely on it more than most other guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is a great buy. It is cheaper than almost any other Gibson guitar. With a little tweaking and pickup replacement, you could have a $1500 guitar for $900-$1000. If this guitar were ever stolen, I would take my old, crappy Epiphone acoustic and smash the dumbass Who stole it over the head. Then, I would take my guitar back and his wallet and buy a new Acoustic guitar. // 9

SG Special Reviewed by: Sk8trpunk977, on november 09, 2012

Features: I bought my SG Special in a package deal which included a gig bag, a tuner, a cheap cable, a few medium picks, and a 10watt amp. It has 22 frets which is nice for when I begun playing, but as I progressed I needed more frets than that. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge which you can use to lower the action which needs to be done. It has the classic dual-cutaway SG shape which I love. The tuners that it comes with are starting to not hold their tune and need to be replaced. It comes with dual humbuckers. You'll never get confused on which knob is for tone or volume because it has the words inscribed on the knobs. // 6

Sound: This guitar fits my music style because of the sound. The tone can vary from a full warm bass sound to a bright treble sound thats good for soloing, but not overly tinny sounding. I use a 15watt Crate amp that I bought seperate along with a DigiTech RP80 which can make it scream, or sound even more rich. The pickups are rather sensitive if I have it on certain settings, and I never need to turn the volume up over 5. Acoustic settings never sound good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got the guitar I needed to adjust a few things to my personal preferences, but everything came intact. The bridge needed to be lowered which was a breeze thanks to the Tune-O-Matic bridge. Nothing was loose, but one day my guitar stopped playing through the amp because a wire inside came loose, but I sottered it back into place, and it's held ever since. Also, the tuning pegs are coming loose and not holding their tune. The action is perfect down on he lower frets, but as you go higher the action gets a little high, which is ok for whe I begun, but now starting to solo in higher places isn't that easy. The action can't be adjusted enough to where it's low on the higher frets because it starts to buzz on lower frets even with a thinner gauge string. While sliding my hand up and down the fretboard, I don't feel the frets scraping my hand like most other guitars that are cheaper like this. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would stand live playing, but I would use it more as a backup. The strap buttons haven't come loose, but they don't hold straps very well, so I would buy locking strap buttons. The finish on the body hasn't rubbed off and seems like it will last for a lot longer time. The finish on the fretboard is starting to weather, but it looks even better because it's showing the natural wood underneath; however, for the first year my fingers were black after playing. // 8

Overall Impression: The style of music I used to play used mainly chords and they were a breeze on the lower and middle frets for barring, but now that I'm getting more advanced, I like to solo, but the action is too high. If it were stolen I would buy something much better than this. I don't really love anything about it. I wish that there were 2 seperate volume and tone knobs for both pickups. // 5

SG Special Reviewed by: DirtyFingers000, on november 09, 2012

Features: Okay so this an American made Gibson SG Special. I don't know exactly what year it is but I know that it is new. It has 22 frets on an Ebony fretboard. The ebony fretboard only comes with the Platinum finish. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and grover tuners. they are great, barely ever come out of tune. I think the pickups are the 490's. Two tone, two volume controls, and a three-way pickup selector. I give the features a 10 because I wouldnt ask for any better for 900 bucks. // 10

Sound: These pickups are good, but I am thinking about putting some '85s in. I play it out of a tiny little Ibanez practice amp and it totally blew me away after hearing the difference from my old guitar. sounds great out of a 23 watt amp. Then I plugged it into the Line 6 Flextone III amp, and wow. It really made me not want to change the pickups out for awhile. The only thing I dont really like so much is the neck pickup with distortion. It sounds nice (to me) on clean but I'm sure a lot of people wouldnt like it. It's really chunky. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is great. Really low but not so low that it gets messed up in dropped tunings. I play in drop C a lot with 10-46 strings and they dont rattle around. the only thing I would maybe change is the bridge pickup is pretty far up, I might want to lower that. But otherwise its great. The finish is platinum, which is the whole reason I got the special instead of the standard. I love the way it looks, and it's so different. Every time I would bump my old guitar against something a little chip of paint would flake off, but I've bumped this guitar a few times and nothing. cant even notice it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: this guitar would definately withstand live playing. I mean come on, its a Gibson SG. The hardware will last, the strap buttons are pretty solid but I would recomend (as I would with any guitar) strap locks. If I was gigging, I would always have a backup but I'm sure I wouldnt need one. The finish is good, as I stated above. I've really had no problems with this guitar except a string snapping, but that was my fault not the guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great. I usually played pop punk, alternative, you know that kind of stuff but I have been playing more metal lately and this guitar sounds great for all of it and everything in between. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy another one, simply because they discontinued the Platinum and I dont like the other Specials. I would probably buy an ESP LTD Viper-500 or I would go hunt down the person Who took it and get it back. I love this guitar to death and I am completely happy with it. I compared it to the other SG Specials, the special faded, and even the standards. Didn't like the rosewood fingerboards on the specials, couldn't stand the fadeds whatsoever, and I even prefer this to the standards. The ebony fretboard is the best thing about this guitar and what really sold me on it. that and the platinum finish. I hope this helped. // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I got the SG Special platinum for christmas (2006) and, so far, I can't find hardly any faults with the guitar. It has a mahogany body and neck and two humbucker pickups. The guitar has 22 frets, with no dots or markings on the front but dots on the side, and the neck joins the body at the 19th fret. Mine came with a Gibson USA hardcase and cleaning equipment with a strap, tuning peg winders, three Gibson guitar picks and a 20ft lead. // 8

Sound: I use the guitar with a Behringer amp. To be fair, this isn't a brilliant amp but it does the job. The guitar sounds good with a clean sound and even better with distortion. Admitedly, harmonics (except the usual 5th, 7th, and 12th frets) are hard to pull off, which I find with most gibsons, but when achieved sound great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a high gloss, silver finish and a mirrored area surrounding the pickups. I can't find anything wrong with how the guitar has been set up, everything seems pretty solid so far. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would certainly use this guitar at a gig, I don't think it would break or get damaged. I would be more worried about my amp not working properly. Everything, as I said before, is pretty solid, the grover tuning pegs hold the guitar in tune well and the strap, which also came with the guitar, seems to be staying put. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar matches my style of music (rock/metal) quite well, although I would prefer if harmonics were easier. I've been playing guitar for a good five years now and the only other guitar I could compare it to is my Epiphone Les Paul (Goldtop) and it's a lot better. // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: Smokey192, on november 09, 2012

Features: My particular Gibson SG was made in Nashville, where most of them are made. It has a mahogany body and neck. The fretboard has 22 frets and is made of ebony. It's an amazing guitar to play and hold and really comfortable. I bought it because I fell in love with it at first sight, who wouldn't? The chrome plating finish really gives it a neat edge. The pickups are Alnico magnet humbuckers which give the sound a really good punch. The controls it has are really good quality, with two volume, two tone and 3-way switch. As if this guitar isnt enough it even comes with a hard case complete with the "Gibson USA" logo. // 9

Sound: The sound of the Gibson SG really slaps the crowd in the face. You can get amazing sounds from it and it really is worth playing. With the advanced controls on it the sound it not only has variety but has impact too. It is a favourite guitar for many bands and rockers, such as My Chemical Romance's Ray Toro, rhythm guitarist. If you get a decent amp to go with it you will be the ultimate guitar player. The sound is really good, probably one of the best factors of the SG due to all its electrics and pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, there were no problems with this guitar, and why should there be? It's perfect. Gibson did a really good job of the body and I really like the chrome plating that they equipped it with. It's really cool when your playing it. The pickups are perfect and so is the wiring. It plays like a king and I haven't yet found anything wrong with it, and I doubt I will. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If you would want to play such a fine guitar Live then yes it would be amazing. I haven't played it Live yet, but I play bass guitar (Peavey Millenium 4-string BXP) in the band that I am in, so I don't really get much chance to. The sound and look of the guitar will really make it an excellent thing to play live, and because of the great job of the finish, it will last a lifetime (well a very very long time anyway). Everything about the guitar seems to be really good which is probably why it is so common in rockstars. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, I love the Gibson SG, it's really good, and I'm not just saying that. I have been playing for 5 years and had the SG for a long time. It's still in perfect condition and I haven't had to look after it that much. I would keep buying it as many times as it got stolen, but the first time it dd I would probably kill the guy. I love the sound it makes, and the amazing finish of the body. Chrome! The only problem is that the tuning knobs are a wierd shape but that's not really a problem is it? // 9

SG Special Reviewed by: r0cKst4r666, on november 09, 2012

Features: I really like this guitar. I got it for christmas after extensive searching. it's an american made guitar (made in nashville), and has great sound. I play in a rock band with my friends, and I play out of a Marshall 50 watt amp. it sounds excellent. it comes with a gig bag, a strap, and some tools. The tuners are very good; stay in tune fairly well. mine has a maple neck and wine red finish. it's a cutaway body design, and most importantly, all the same piece of wood. that's what's great about Gibson. the whole guitar is one piece. // 9

Sound: it suits my music style very well. It's allows for smooth sounding jazz, to a hard driving metal sort of thing. I prefer to use the Marshall 50 watt DFX MG series. it sound absolutely terrific with this amp. I also like the sound of it with a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal. the sound it emits is very full, very bright. the guitar can do almost anything you like. Great pinch harmonics, amazing design for tremolo, and bends are easier than ever. I strongly recommend this guitar to anyone who is lookin for a 2nd or 3rd guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: At the factory, this guitar was set up with no faults. No chips in the wood, no misaligned bracing, nothing. It was perfect. the pickups were adjusted fairly well, except for one of them (it's a bit shaky and loose). Besides that, it plays great. the rod that runs through the neck didn't even need to be adjusted. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does withstand Live playing. At gigs, it has great reliability, and the hardware wilmost definitly last. The strap buttons do not come off once they are on. They are a real pain to get on and off if you aren't going to use them constantly, but that's good. I fell extra safe that my guitar won't slip in the middle of a solo. The finish is very good. I've cleaned it with various types of cleaners and polishers, and it doesn't ware down. // 9

Overall Impression: I just love this guitar. I've been playing for a few years, and this guitar really stands out. The thing I like most right where the strings meet the metal towards the back end. It makes for great palm muting and pinch harmonics, ohter guitars just can't do it this easily in my opinion. I play all kinds of music, and this is great for all of them. It is especially good for classic rock. A lil' bit of distortion, a little bit of clean. I strongly recommend this guitar for anyone, because it's such a great guitar! // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: gojaromeiginla, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 1000

Purchased from: Guitarworks

Features: This guitar is an American guitar that came into being in '06. 22 frets with Dot inlay, rosewood fingerboard, and 23 3/4 inch scale. The body is in the regular SG style, with the double cutaway that opens up the high end of the fretboard. The pickups are both alnico humbuckers, specifically the 490r and 490t. The controls are excellent with separate volume and tone controls, as well as a 3-way Switch for each pickup on it's own and both together. The guitar came with it's own case, which is pretty good on it's own, but nothing special. However, the features allow me access to everything I use in a guitar at the moment. // 10

Sound: I play almost exclusively metal, ranging from Nightwish, to SOAD, to Dragonforce. I also dabble in punk, but not very often. Either way, this guitar performs brilliantly in whatever genre I'm playing. I use it with a Line6 Spyder III 120 Watt amp, with the FBV Express footboard. The treble pickup gives clear lead tones, especially with the tone all the way up. It also gives some good rhythm settings, which are also quite clear. This pickup is quite bright, as opposed to the rhythm pickup, which gives a very full sound. I like to turn the tone down on this pickup for a more aggressive sound, but other than that, it doesn't have the variety that the treble pickup delivers. Still, between the two pickups and the neutral setting, I never find myself asking for more. The sound is extremely clean on a basic amp setting. If I turn the distortion up, it sounds exactly as it should, without any annoying extra noise to deal with. All in all, this guitar has an amazing and versatile sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very good the first time I played it. The hardware is set up very well. Everything fit into their proper place. The tune-o-matic bridge has proved useful to achieve the best tone possible, so I'm very happy with that. The finish was well done, and looks great. Overall, I have no complaints in this category. // 10

Reliability & Durability: In the few gigs I've played, this guitar has been great. I haven't done anything weird on stage like set it on fire, but I've played it, and it's been dependable. The hardware doesn't look like it's about to fall apart any time soon, so I expect it'll last a good long time. The strap buttons are very solid, and have held up even with a really crappy strap that I had for a while. On all the gigs I've played, I've used it without a backup, and I'm perfectly willing to continue to doing so. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar fits a metal style nicely, but it could probably pull off anything I'd ever want it to. I've been playing this guitar for about 8 months now, and in comparison to my Squier student model, it's purely amazing. I love almost everything about this guitar, especially it's versatility. I would prefer the prettier look of the normal SG, but the look doesn't mean much. I tried out a number of other guitars before this one, including a Les Paul and a BC Rich Warlock, but this seemed to fit my style best. It would be nice if it had a whammy bar, but it doesn't matter much. I would certainly buy this guitar again if it got stolen, but I might trade up to the normal SG if it was in my budget. However, they're practically the same guitar, so yes, I would buy this guitar again in a heartbeat. // 9

SG Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have an all original 1961 Gibson SG(LesPaul) Special. It has two P-90's pickups. It has two volume knobs, two tone knobs, and a three way selector Switch. It is a little bit beat up but is still in great playing condition. Everty thing on it is original so look up the specs for these year to find any other info. // 10

Sound: Great for blues, rock, country, really anything. I play blues though and it has a great tone for it. I turn my tone knobs to about eieght and play though the neck pick-up and get some Strat like tones. I play it through a couple of diffrent things including a 1969 Fender Bassman 135 half stack (Used with Boss Reverb pedal, and othe distortion pedals for certain songs for blues and rock.), Marshall JVM410 full stack(Used with no pedals for blues and rock), JCM2000-DSL full stack(Used with no pedals for blues and rock), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe(Used with various disrtortion pedals for blues and rock), and a Fender Bluesman(Used with various distortion pedals for Blues and rock). It is noisy and I think I need to have the electronics cleaned or something. It has a very full sound with some ballsy bass. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: From what I understand there wern't any flaw and came set up and adjusted well. No I have medium to high action on it with .12-.56 size strings. The finish on the guitar is red and I'm not sure about the wood. It has some small crackes in the body near the input jack. Nothing majoir thoough. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar could most definatly withstand Live playing. The hardware will last forever I think. I wont gig with it to prevent it from being stolen or broken by some careless jerk. It is just worth to much and way to rare. There is some wear on the neck and a lot to the frets. I will most likly have to get her re-fretted soon. This guitar is 100% dependable still. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues/rock and it is a great match for me and my style of music. I have been playing for about eieght years now. I have to much gear to list. lol I have five Gibsons and six Fender Strats. I have eieght amps and two full Furrman pedal boards. If it was stolen or lost I would go on a mission and kill the person behind it. If it were to break I can honestly say I would cry and I would have it repaired. I will never sell this guitar. I have never played a guitar that is so fast and easy to play with .12's on it. I want to put bigger stings on it like my Strats but am afrade of messing up the neck on such a rare fine guitar. // 10

SG Special Reviewed by: rubbieh, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This is a review about the SG Special in a Satin Ebony finish, not quite "faded", but not the Standard glossy finish. It isn't a matte finish either, it's a really nice deep black that you can see and feel the woodgrain through. It was made in the USA in 2011, 22 frets. Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, tune-o-matic bridge, Kluson tuners. 490R in the neck position and a 490T in the Bridge position, 2 tone and 2 volume pots, 3 way selector. Also includes a hard case, a plus over the faded versions. // 8

Sound: This guitar sounds great. I use this guitar tuned in D Standard and play mostly metal. I play through a Blackheart BH15H with two 1x12 cabs, and my effects chain consists of a Korg Pitchblack tuner, MXR Fullbore Metal, MXR 6 Band EQ, and MXR Carbon Copy. The Bridge pickup is awesome when distorted, has tons of bite and still retains clarity. Nice and punchy. The neck pickup is better for clean tones as one could assume, and sounds very rich and full, with just a bit of high end sparkle. I haven't had any trouble finding good tones with this thing, but I notice it does sound a bit better if you roll the volume and tone back to about 7 as opposed to having them cranked full blast, it can get a little muddy then. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It seemed to have a good factory setup but to be honest I changed it to my preferences almost right away. I didn't have to change much, lowered the action and in turn had to lower the Bridge pickup a bit. The Bridge pickup is high up there but it is supposed to be, I only lowered it so that my strings have clearance and don't buzz on it. I fine tuned the intonation after switching to heavier strings. No glaring mistakes in the setup or finish presented themselves, and I was looking. Electronics all seem to be in good shape as well. I am going to say here that the satin ebony finish is beautiful, and very comfortable to move around the neck. I prefer it over the feeling of the glossy finish on my Les Paul Studio, but don't get me wrong I love the Studio as well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing feels solid. It all was built to last. I would use it without a backup (but I would bring my other guitar to save myself the hassle of changing tuning between songs). The finish shows no signs of wear yet, but I have a feeling that when it does it will only add to the character of the guitar. It doesn't chip easily, but you can put a dent in the wood if you are careless. I love this guitar, definitely a workhorse. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar was exactly what I needed. It contrasts my Les Paul Studionicely, having both of them gives me tons of options in how I choose to sculpt a sound and find the tone I am looking for at a given moment. I would buy this guitar again, without a doubt. I love everything about it. It is basically the SG Special Faded with an upgraded finish plus a hard case. I was very, VERY satisfied. // 9

SG Special Reviewed by: GrantMcDocherty, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: This is a 2005 Gibson, SG Special in wine red. With the usual story 22 frets, standard two volume controls and two tone controls with the high hat knobs. It has a 490R pickup in the neck and a 490T in the bridge. The only thing that is not stock on my guitar is the tuners, which are groover deluxe something or other, as the guitar had been damaged in the shop, 4 tuners were snapped, damage and chips on the finish at the bottom and a bit on the back this combined with a sale was why I got it for 450 new. A Gibson gigbag is provided with these guitars, and to be honest for what you're paying and the quality of the guitar its pathetic, its just a flimsy little back that I suspect would sell for 10 if it did not have Gibson written on it, the bags I got free with my Fenders had much more padding. // 7

Sound: I mostly play bluesy rocky songs, some slow calm guitar pieces as well and love the sound of the SG, its got a good rock sound through the bridge and a nice full bright sound from the neck, but it's not the best sound I've heard. I've played a lot of the worn versions of this guitar and they had a much brighter more sustained sound than its finished counter part, given the choice again I would have bought the worn cherry model instead as this guitar has a bit of a dull heavy feel to it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As this guitar was damaged at purchase I have never played the factory set up, but the one it was given is good, the fret board has a lot of room to play about on with bends and such and the srings are very easy to do big bends on without much resistance. Due to my hand size this guitar isn't really suited to me as it is a rather thick neck and wide fret board. I'm not sure if this is just my guitar or if it on all of them, but where the tail piece of the bridge is screwed onto the guitar there are two light in colour circles around the posts that stick out like a sore thumb, and does not match the rest of the guitar, looks very tacky. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have no doubt in my mind that this guitar will withstand live playing, the hardware seems solid and the wiring looks bomb proof, doub't I'll have any issues with it like I have done with some of my fenders. The finish also came with a lot of warnings about reactions but nothing has reacted, it also isn't as easy to damage as I thought it would have been. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for roughly seven years, I play this guitar through a Vox DA 15, which if I'm honest I'm not a fan of and this may be affecting the sound of this guitar, Over all I think its a very good guitar, but the finish dulls the sound and the odd circles around the posts of the bridges tail piece are a bit annoying. If I had the choice again I would have bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom instead. // 7

SG Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have a 2009 edition of the SG. This guitar is my only guitar at the moment as I have donated my Strat copy. And I have to say. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love it! I use a Vox VT30 amp. And I play stuff from Foo Fighters to Avenged Sevenfold an it sounds great! 22 frets of guitarry goodness joined to a cherry red base with humbuckers and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. Amazing! // 10

Sound: Like I said before. My music taste ranges. It works especially well with the Vox on the track "Strength Of The World". And also makes tracks like "Everlong" and "American Idiot" sound great. On my Vox I can save 8 sounds. 4 on each 'Bank'. I use the red for cleaner sounds and the green for my Avenged/Linkin Park(old)metal sounds. I use Rotosound Purples (Medium/Heavy) strings making th great sound last even longer. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar at a local shop for my 13th birthday! I still don't know much about the hardware (mainly because I am not taking my only guitar apart) but th pickups sound great. Especially when on treble for those infamous Syn solos. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never played a live gig so I wouldn't know. But it has withstood countless jams with friends and an ever growing number of solo headbanging sessions in the bedroom. The finish seems to have stood the test of time. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing since I was 11. I am nearly 15 now and it has lasted 3 years with only a few dings. My mother wanted me to pick the Epiphone in her 'comparison' test where I listened to the same riff being played. She wanted an Epiphone because they are cheaper. I made the right decision. I had always wanted a Gibson. And I loved the double cutaway shape so I thought. Why not get both? // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Standard '60s 9.6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014