SG Special Ltd Review

9.4
 9.1
review (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
SG Special Ltd Reviewed by: g_tab_man, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is a Gibson SG Special ltd. This model is a limited edition with a blue mist finish. It was made in America. Its neck is really nice and it plays like a wet dream. It is playable right from the store, but you might want to lower the action just a bit, but it's not too bad. The finish isn't gloss, and i forget what the actual name of it is, but its nice. However, after a couple of days, there was a small spot on one of the horns that looked like the finish had been worn. Not a big deal, and it didn't spread, but it's still a minor imperfection. It has the usual tune-o-matic bridge, which is fine. It has nice electronics; if you're used to Gibson, these will be fine for you. It has a three way toggle Switch with two tone and two volume control knobs. The tuners aren't locking, but it stays in tune just fine. Not sure of the brand. It came with a Gibson hardshell case. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds amazing! It fits any musical style just fine. (I wouldn't recommend it for country, but if you play country, would you really be getting an SG anyway?) But I have a very split personality when it comes to music. I love everything from The Beatles to heavy metal. It fits both just fine. It can growl when it needs to, and play out those soft blues tunes when it needs to. I play alot of chorus and wah with it. They both sound great. Its not noisy at all. Those humbucker pickups do their job just fine. As I said before, this guitar can do pretty much anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty nicely from the factory. As I said before, the action could have been lowered a bit, but it was still very playable. I already mentioned that spot on the horn. So yeah, the finish was alright. But the limited edition blue mist finish makes up for it. The back of the neck and the headstock are all the same color as the body, and that was the first time I had ever seen that in a Gibson. The pickups were just fine. I still have the stock pickups, and they still play great. Basically, not much wrong with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable. I haven't had it for very long, but i still know that it is durable. The hardware is sturdy and you shouldn't need to replace any of it. The strap buttons are nice and solid. So long as you have a decent strap, you should be fine. I would totally use it at a gig without a backup. And again about the finish on the horn, I think it was just a spot where they missed the clear coat at the factory. The rest of the finish should be fine for a long time, so long as you clean it every now and then. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will fit any rock style. As far as it compares to my other guitars, this can rock all their socks off. This was my first Gibson, the rest were kind of off brands. But they are still good. If this were lost or stolen, and I had the money, I would go straight back to buying this guitar. I love pointy guitars, and this guitar is a perfect match for me. If you are looking for an SG, that's not red or brown, (which I was,)then this is the guitar for you. I had compared this to a Fender Telecaster, which I was also considering, and this guitar is better. No Doubt. As far as I'm concerned, this guitar is just plain incredible. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Special Voodoo 9.2 Electric Guitars 06/09/2014