SG Special Voodoo Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 06/09/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: SG Special Voodoo
The SG Voodoo has a swamp ash body, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard with red pearl Voodoo skull at the 5th fret, black chrome hardware and Black Magic pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.7
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (3) pictures (1) 20 comments vote for this gear:
SG Special Voodoo Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Williams Music

Features: Made in 2003 in the USA. Manufactured in: Nashville, TN BODY Species: Swamp Ash NECK Species: Mahogany Profile: Rounded Peghead Pitch: 17 Thickness at 1st fret: 0.818" Thickness at 12th fret: 0.963" Heel Length: 0.625" Neck Joint Location: 19th fret FINGERBOARD Species: Ebony Scale length: 243/4" Total Length: 18.062" Nut Width: 111/16 Width at 12th fret: 2.062" Frets: 22 Inlays: Red pearl acrylicVoodoo skull at fifth fret HARDWARE Plating Finish: Black Chrome Bridge: Tune-o-matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Knobs: Black top hat with red numbers Tuners: Grover kidney ELECTRONICS Pickups: Black Magic double-slug 496R/500T, black/red coils Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way Switch CASE Exterior: Red Python Hardshell Interior: Black Plush Silkscreen: Black/Red 'Gibson USA' logo STRINGS Brite Wires .010-.046 // 10

Sound: I play mostly punk, grunge and metal and this guitar is brilliant for them all! I play using a Fender Deluxe 112 plus amd and I am amazed by the clarity and lack of any buzz whatsoever from the pickups, there brilliant! You can get a great range of tones from this guitar, from very deep bass from the neck pickup, to very high tones from the bridge pickup, or pretty much any other tone you can think about inbetween! These pickups are amazing, they are the best pickups I have ever used and would reccomend them to anyone who wants there guitar to sound pro. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was a bit dusty but still perfectly in tune and mark free, the setup of the hardware was perfect. the only flare I noticed was with the case, one locking bracket had been bent and damaged the case ever so slightly, but not the guitar, this im sure I can live with. // 8

Reliability & Durability: i have not had a chance to use this guitar in front of a live audiance yet but I very much doubt there being any problems at all with it, except maybe a snapped string, I would be confident using this guitar without a backup. The finish is top class, im not sure what it is coated with but you get a special liquid to clean it without damaging the finish. However I have noticed a small amount of wear on the bridge from playing it, hardly noticable but this may become more apparent after time. The strap buttons are standard SG ones, ok for my use but you may prefer locking ones. // 10

Overall Impression: this guitar is ideal for the styles of music I play, I couldnt have hoped for a better guitar. I have been playing 5 years now and own an Encore Strat copy, Fender highway 1 showmaster and now this Gibson SG Special Voodoo. If it was stolen I would definitely buy another, if I could afford to! one thing I am a bit unnsure about is the body material, swampash, although a very nice material, it is strange as it is so light the neck outweighs it, this takes a bit of getting used to! When I was looking to buy a new guitar I also looked at the Gibson SG Standard and the Gibson Les Paul but after doing a bit of reading about this one seemed the better, I'm glad I chose this one. I think locking strap buttons would be a usefull addition tho. If your looking for a reliable, versatile, brilliantly sounding guitar then you should seriously consider the Gibson SG Special Voodoo. // 10

SG Special Voodoo Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This axe is essentially a standard SG with a baddass black and red finnish, an ebony fretboard, and some really hot, loud pickups. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a stopbat tailpiece (pretty much standard for an SG) and grover tuners. It also comes with a wonderfull hardshell Faux Python skin case and an adjustment sool with a phillips head screwdriver and a hex socket wrench for adjusting the truss rod. // 10

Sound: This has a slightly darker louder sound than your average SG which I attribute to the different pickups. I play mostly punk rock and some older metal and it suits those just fine. The only problem I've had with the sound is that in order to get clean tones you have to turn down the volume quite a bit on the guitar which slightly shortens the sustain. But overall this guitar has a huge sound that should work for all types of music. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set perfectly at the factory as was the intonation. Hell it was almost perfectlyin tune when I got it out of the box. The only problem was that the bridge pickup was set way too high but that was easily corrected. I also had to add pickup mounts (the guitar came with the pickups mounted directly to the pickgaurd, which I though looked kinda cheap) doing this also angled the neck pickup which made it sound better. The finish is very attractive and was flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made for live playing (as all good guitars are). The hardware is excellent as (of course deppending on how much you move around locking strap pins may be a wise addition) and looks like it will last a lifetime. I would definitely depend on this guitar but would never play any guitar without a backup (hey random bad stuff happens) but I'm sure this axe could pull through if I had too. As I stated before the finish appears like it will last probably for the life of the guitar with proper care. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for punk and metal as well as most forms of rock and blues. I have been playing now for several years and have gone through several guitars (this and an early '80s Epiphone Strat copy are currently the only two guitars I own) and I can easily see myself playing this far into the future. I love this guitar for its sound and the only thing I dislike about it is its moderate tuning stability problems (which I plan to remedy eith locking tuners) If it were stolen I'd try to find another one (they don't make theese anymore and I got one of the last ones ever produced). I got this as a gift so I didn't get to do much comparison shopping but this is one of the best axes I've evr had the pleasure of owning, the only thing that would make this better would be a Vibrola tailpiece and locking tuners. // 10

SG Special Voodoo Reviewed by: Geritol269, on june 09, 2014

Features: 2002 Nashville, TN USA made.
- 22 jumbo frets with EBONY fingerboard non-binding wrapped with pearl voodoo skull inlay at the 5th fret.
- Fat mahogany '50s profile neck.
- Sticker Gibson logo on headstock and blank truss rod cover.
- SG style swamp ash body with the upper horn slightly longer.
- Black chrome hardware throughout with grover kidney bean black chrome tuners.
- Black satin paint job with red paint rubbed into the finish.
- Passive open 496R and 500T with three way toggle switch with tone and volume controls for each pickup.
- Nashville Tune-O-Matic Bridge.
- Red Faux python skin case with black fuzz lining.
- SG Special pickguard fits the theme of the guitar really well. // 9

Sound: I would not have liked a SG with '57 pickups. I'm glad I got the 500T. I have '57 pickups in other guitars and I REALLY LIKE the 496R and 500T. These pickups are actually too hot. I normally play '57s at 10. These pickups can go 10 on tone and 8 on volume, which is great if you want to push yourself above the mix for a solo. Soloing is a breeze with the double cutaway. This is my first '50s profile neck. I bought it thinking that I would "get used" to it. I normally play '60s profile, but I really like the added girth, tone and sustain the '50s profile adds.

I have this guitar set up to play drop C hard rock/ metal. It has a lot of "chugging" ability without really any modifications to the stock guitar. I play this guitar through solid state 4x12 Marshall with a Dan-Electro Fab Tone for distortion. The guitar in my opinion is for playing rock, thats it. It can go from a very full and fat rhythm with the 496R (but much brighter that '57s) to a very bright tight and responsive 500T. Overall the tone is very special for a SG which is due to the '50s mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, 496R and 500T and swamp ash body. I've been waiting to get into SG and I didn't want to change the pickups. When I found out that it had the 500T, I was immediately sold. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar 12 years after it was made. The guitar had some pick-scrapes on the upper horn and some wear next to the underside of the 500T (like a shredding anchor hand spot). The action was horrific (high) when I bought it. I had Guitar Center (Grand Rapids, MI) set up the guitar for low action Drop-C with Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms (a tall order for a SG Special). Now the guitar squeals, screams and roars. I am very happy with it.

The previous owner had the 500T sticking straight up out of the body. I dropped this back in as much as possible. It is still high which is weird for me to have it out there exposed with no covers. The red Gibson logo on the headstock is cheap and there is some high E open string buzz. Hardware and body are top notch. Guitar suffers from neck dive. Super light guitar no fatigue with standup playing. Guitar basically feels like it was in a time capsule for the last 12 years. No other complaints. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand 4-5 songs without needing to be tuned. Guitar tuning will withstand light to moderate string bending (could be rectified with string gauge). Guitar is made pretty solid (for a SG). Hardware is strong and shows no signs of wear (12 yrs old). Strap buttons were ok but I switched them out for black chrome Schaller strap locks immediately. Of my guitars I would worry about it a little going out at a show. I think that the black satin finish will wear eventually and look SWEET! // 8

Overall Impression: I play mainly hard rock and metal. The guitar has a very commanding, sinister presence. This aspect goes well with the music I play. I have been playing for 15+ years, and I own Gibson LPs, an Explorer and a Flying V. This is my first SG and probably my last because this SG is exactly what I want in a SG. The only thing I would change would be to put binding on the fretboard. The frets aren't rounded enough on the sides and you can snag your hand with doing practice and solos. The guitar has its utility but it is kind of limited in what it can play. If the guitar were stolen, I'd miss it. This would be a very hard guitar to replace. I think this is a very rare guitar, and I'd value it at $1500. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Standard '60s 9.6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014