SG Supreme Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: SG Supreme
The new king of the "solid guitars", the SG Supreme is a direct descendant of Gibson's original solidbody guitar, the Les Paul.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 7.7
reviews (6) pictures (4) 80 comments vote for this gear:
SG Supreme Reviewed by: disposablehero7, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: axe in hand

Features: 2001-Hand made in the USA, 24 Jumbo frets, Solid AAAA Maple Top, 2 Volume 2 Tone 3 Way Switch, Gibson Burstbucker 2(bridge) 3(Neck), Passive hum, Mahogany with Maple top, Maple Neck with Ebony Fingerboard, Transpartent Burst Flame top, SG Body, Tune O Matic, Grover Kidney Tuners, Medium Neck Jumbo Frets, Hard Case. // 10

Sound: I play anything from folk to deathmetal and this does it all I use a Boss DS-1, dan-o-wah,and milkshake chorus No i repeat No noise when distorted, get feedback when you want it. Neck is rich and full while the Bridge is Bright and killer. It produces sounds from jimmy page to slash to kerry king and back with a flik of a Switch or two. I love it, i cant quit playing it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it from Axe in hand which is a high end dealer so the action was good when i first played it and they set it up even better. Pickups were perfect, everthing was perfectly done Cudos to the dude kevin at Gibson that built that body. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Gold Hardwear is durable and beautiful. Straps are solid as the day i bought them, i can pull all the tricks and i walk around on stage with it hangin off my back and they still hold up. Ive been using it for 3 years with out a backup and its never failed me. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, great for all styles of music (even that punk emo crap). Ive been playin since 1998 and play through a Kustom and Crate amp. I played this thing in the shop for about 4 hours before i bought it so i learned it all. If it were stolen id find the a$$ wipe and work him over with a baseball bat. Ive played strats and teles before this and while the Fender customs are good Gibson is God. Cant wish for nuthin else. If ya can afford the high price it would be well worth it to get one, never have to buy another guitar again. // 10

SG Supreme Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: The features on this guitar are pretty nice right out of the box. Handmade in the US just like all Gibson guitars, you can tell right away that this thing was meant to be played. I have the faded cherry finish, which is absolutely gorgeous. The Tune-O-Matic bridge is pretty nice, though I had to adjust it a little bit to get it how I wanted it. The strap buttons are kind of iffy, and I didn't decide to gig it until I put strap locks on it. Besides that, the guitar was pretty good stock. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of different kinds of music, anything from progressive rock/metal to classic rock. The guitar is amazingly versatile, and can pretty much play anything you want it to. I play through either a Marshall MG100HDFX and 4X12 Marshall cab, or and Orange Rockerverb 100. For effects I have an Ibanez Vintage Tubescreamer Reissue, an MXR Pedal Phaser, MXR 10 band equalizer, Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb, among other things. The guitar handles all this madness so well, which is pretty amazing, because it is pretty obvious that I like to experiment with effects. Without effects though, the guitar sounds badass through my Marshall, and absolutely stunning through my orange. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings were not bad, though I lowered the action a bit, and adjusted the bridge to my pretty exacting specs. The pickups were not bad, though I replaced them a little later with a pair of '57 classics, but kept the original pickups just in case I wanted to change back. The original pickups were nice, but with the '57s this things screams, absolutely positively screams. Because this is a Gibson, none of the little things were done wrong, and overall I have no complaints about the fit or finish of the guitar. I have to say that the finish looks like it will age quite well, and that is something that I look for, because I can promise I will be keeping this guitar for quite some time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged this guitar without a backup numerous times, without hesitation. After putting the strap locks on the guitar, I have had absolutely no fear of the strap falling off, which makes for much more worry free playing at the gigs. The hardware is real nice, though on the nickel pickup covers, something seems to be slightly building up. Besides this, everything has exceeded my expectations. This is the first guitar I have ever trusted enough to gig without a backup, which is saying quite alot. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar more than handles every type of music I play, considering I play everything from prog metal/rock to jazz, that is quite a feat. I have been playing for 5 years, and play about 3-4 hours a day, sometimes I skip homework so that I can play longer, I don't recommend that, but I digress. I own a Fender players Strat, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and Martin and Ovation acoustics. This is the guitar I play the most by far, this is my favorite, my baby. My favorite feature of this beast is the neck, butter soft and blindingly fast, after I lowered the action a bit, it was perfect for what I wanted. This guitar will beat anything in the price range. I directly compared it with equivalent Strats, Musicman's, Jacksons, ESPs, everything, and this thing trounced them all. Don't bother spending the extra money for any other guitar, buy this, you definitely will not regret it. Don't bother to buy the 61 reissue, it's cheaper just to buy the '57 classic pickups and retrofit them on this guitar like I did. // 10

SG Supreme Reviewed by: Billymack1933, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar has got some sweet features, the pearl inlays, the pearl machine heads and chrome hardware, I love my SG, sick guitar. It's 100% American made 22 frets and the fret board is made of rosewood and the body is mahogany. It's wine red colour is sick. 3-way selector and it comes with a gig bag. // 10

Sound: This SG has a killer sound that will rock you hard. Hooked up to a Line 6 Spider II amp, it suits all the types of music I play which is classic rock, punk and blues. Sound is amazing on this guitar it has a pure Gibson tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is flawless, the pickups work perfectly, the finish is not marked or scratched and its just in amazing condition. I can shred up and down the fret board quickly, so the action is great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was built to play live, the quality of this guitar will last throughout its life, it will probably gain value once it is older. I would use this SG at any gig without a backup. The finish is outstanding ad is made to last. // 10

Overall Impression: This Gibson SG is great for my music style, I own a Fender Strat which I like, but the SG blows it away. I have been playing for 1 year. If it were stolen I would track down the ass that stole it and beat him to crap. I would have liked all gold hardware but I'm happy with it. // 10

SG Supreme Reviewed by: H4T3BR33D3R, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Retrotown music.

Features: The SG Supreme is a double cutaway solid-body guitar by Gibson. It features a AA flame maple top, mahogany body, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard with split Diamond inlays, body and neck binding. This model is an '01 and comes with P-90 pickups as apposed to the dual humbuckers of the more recent models. The hardware is the same as the current model, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 3-way toggle switch, and Grover tuners. The guitar comes with a hardshell case. // 9

Sound: I play this guitar through a Laney VH100R. On the clean channel using the bridge pickup, the guitar is quite bright and twangy. It's very reminiscent of a Fender style single coil albeit a bit fatter sounding. The rhythm pickup is very fat sounding, great for chording and Jazzy stuff I reckon. Moving on to a Rock style distortion, the guitar gets very aggressive. The bridge pickup is very nasty sounding (not in a bad way mind you). It almost growls. The guitar still retains clarity, and it sustains quite a bit. The neck pickup is very creamy, leads are very smooth. Kicking on a Metal style distortion, the guitar screams in the bridge position. Leads just jump out. Riffing isn't all that great with this type of distortion but leads are humongous. The neck pickup suffers a little bit with this style distortion, it starts to get muddy but is still plenty usable. I thought I should also mention that this guitar is very quiet, I couldn't hear any of the 60 cycle hum that is usually associated from single coils. This is due to Gibson throwing in a dummy pickup in the control cavity, which acts as a hum-canceler of sorts. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up great from the factory. The action was a bit low for my tastes so I raised it a tad. The pickups were adjusted great. The top is gorgeous and was properly book matched. Everything was routed without flaw. The only gripe I had with this guitar was the nut wasn't cut all that well. I filed it down some and it was fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played this a guitar Live at a couple of clubs and it held up great. The hardware is quality and seems like it will last a long time. The strap buttons are pretty solid but I'd recommend some form of strap locks. Nothing is more embarrassing and infuriating than dropping your guitar while playing, especially if it breaks. This guitar is very dependable and I would probably gig without backup but you can never be too careful. The finish is great and will probably last longer then myself. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from pop to metal. I've been playing for two years and own many guitars. This guitar is one of the best if you want a no holds barred, hard rock tone. The cleans are also magnificent. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy the guitar again. I highly recommend this guitar. // 9

SG Supreme Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: freind

Features: Maple top with mahogany back and neck P-90 pick ups its a double cutaway with tune-o-matic bridge and grover tuners it doesn't have push pulls and no pick guard so the wood is going to be very scratched up from the pick. Also the jack input was lose and the cable would fall right out until I had it replaced. // 7

Sound: This guitar sounds like crap my friend bought it for $1500 from eBay and hated it he sold it to me for $500 cause he hated it the P-90s buz like crazy even when your playing I play through a solid gold tipped cable and that didn't help at all can't imagine what it would be like through a regular cable. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was good the low e buzzed a bit but nothing major if it had humbuckers it wouldn't be so bad the 24 frets are a nice change from 21 or 22. But its supper light I'm a Les Paul guy and picking this thing up was like picking up a tooth pick it was so light when I sat down and put it in my lap the headstock weighted more so it started falling out and the maple cap looks fake must just be the ugly tobacco sunburst. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Everything seems like good quality such as the tuners and bridge just hate the pickups like I said if it had humbuckers and weighted 3 or 4 more pounds it would be rockin. I would also change the color maybe like a 59 burst or just a solid the tobacco is ugly its colored like piss around the pickups. // 7

Overall Impression: I bought it to resale not to play and I did make some profit but if Gibson would have spent the same amount of time designing this as the Les Paul it would be good I recommend one with humbuckers the P-90s suck and it weights to little I would put a 5 pound weight on the strap to keep it steady during a live gig. // 4

SG Supreme Reviewed by: Ralphnaderchop, on november 09, 2012

Features: No idea when mine was made, although I know how to check the SN, I haven't yet. This instrument has 24 frets, ebony fingerboard, and a very thick(half the body is maple and half is mahogany on further inspection) maple cap over a mahogany body. Split Diamond inlays and headstock crown, multiply binding around the headstock face, and single binding around the fingerboard. Mine is an Emerald Burst finish. Came with passive pickups, 57 Classics from what I've read up on, could be burst buckers though, I've changed my bridge out to a custom shop Seymour Duncan SH5 with a Gold cover. Quality Grover tuning machines. Even with the laundry list of tone in this thing, it's still very light weight. Feels like the neck outweighs the body. Mine did not come with a case, I bought a SKB case with it though, and it fits well in said case... // 7

Sound: The sound was ok when I first got it. Acoustically it was strong, plugged in was well, meh. I bought it because I thought it was a good deal at the time. It needed the electronics reworked due to a bad/broken toggle, and one of the pots wasn't working well. I got an RS Mods wiring kit and a custom ordered SH5 pickup, and had my local tech install them. I have a Mesa F100, Peavey 5150, and a Peavey Vintage Butcher head w/a Mesa Cabinet. Bridge position now has balls, and the neck while I never paid much attention to before, isn't all that bad now. Very responsive in all positions of the pickup selector and controls, thru effects, straight in to the amps or just a wah in my signal chain. Drop tuning doesn't sound weak, and my tone doesn't suffer. I feel comfortable playing Hendrix to 5FDP on this now. That's not easy to do. I'm wondering what a P90 would sound like in the neck. I have mostly all original hardware, but I have a Les Paul with a brass bridge, and I'm thinking about getting one for this thing. There are so many tonal upgrades out there, from tonepros, wilkinson, shaller, Callaham. Now you can install a Bigsby with out any finish damage using a special install kit. Cool huh? // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got mine well used, and gigged, and it shows. The gold finish has mostly worn off(quite literally in some places), except for the new pickup I have in here. If your new to Gibson, they use a "Nitro" finish, and some plastic/foam on guitar stands react bad to it. As does leather straps if you leave them on the guitar while in a case for long periods of time. Mine has bears the proof of these comments. I didn't buy it for it's looks though, I bought it due to it's comfort when playing(My other guitars are Les Pauls), and how well it played at the time. I'd say action is an easy 9/10 in this area. Fit and finish is subject to opinion and you haven't seen meet ex wife yet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It was still working when I got it. Broken toggle switch and all. Someone gigged the hell out of it before I got it. I had the wiring redone by a tech, with an RS upgrade kit, which solved my toggle switch issue, and a weak pot. The bridge upgrade was due to one of my Les Pauls' also having 57 Classics in it, and sound better in a LP. I think the pickup I chose fits my playing and tone well, and was an overall improvement. Every thing was point to point wired and soldered, no quick connections anywhere to interfere with the tone. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a fine guitar, and if you can find one in decent condition, expect to pay some good money for it. Even beaters command a fair value, as they play and sound very nice. You do get quite a bit of guitar for what you pay, you get a comfortable playing instrument and depending on how you like your tone, a pickup change away. And the Emerald Burst is beautiful. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Grace Potter Signature Flying V 7.8 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014