SG Z Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: SG Z
There are two humbucking pickups in the guitar. The neck position pickup is very warm, and has an extremely good bassy tone to it (great for playing blues, incredible for playing distorted power chords).
 8.4
 9.2
 7.5
reviews (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
SG Z Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Shop

Features: This guitar was bild in 1991 and was made in the USA. Double cutaway mahogany body, slim tapered mahogany neck, 24 fret bound rosewood fingerboard with pearl split diamond inlay, Tune-O-Matic bridge/Z-shaped stop tailpiece with strings through-body, blackface peghead with pearl Z/Gibson logo inlay, 3 per side tuners, black chrome hardware, pearloid pickguard, 500T single coil/490R humbucker exposed polepiece pickups, volume/tone controls, 3-way selector toggle. // 10

Sound: It's perfect to play hevy distorted tunes as wel as clean tunes. I'm playing it with a Marshall MG100DFX. And it's realy a joy playing this guitar. Is an exellent guitar to play punk rock. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is 14 jears old thats as old as my brother, but it's still in perfect shape and I don't have any problems what so ever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would never play a gig without a backup guitar you never know what can hapen. But if I just had this guitar I'm sure that I will not have any problems what so ever. This guitar is bild to restist. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk rock, rock 'n' roll, ska, and if I'm in the mood maybe even metal. And realy It matches perfect. I've been play now for abouth 3 years an practice minimum 2 hours a day. I take lessons every week but I can't read notes? I think its a waisting of time. Music comes from the soul and not from paper. I own a Mexican Fender Strat Tom Delonge series, a Les Paul Standard, and a Tensor acoustic guitar. I hope they never steal it because I probebly would find the 1991 version anymore. I love it sound. The negative site is that when you play it with a strap it leans forward. // 10

SG Z Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Gibson SG Z is your american made guitar, it was made limited edition in 1997, and its really hard to get a hold of now adays. It has 24 frets leading to a solid top. The body is mahogony (I believe) and it has a 3 way selector toggle Switch, 1 volume and one tone nob. It has a Gibson 496 (single coil) in the neck, and a Gibson 500T in the bridge. The finish is odd, it looks grey under some light and blue under some. Its SG style body has a String through body and a tune-o-matic bridge black hardware, grover tuners (keeps it well in tune, very precise), rosewood fretboard, that is slimmer than any other SG I have played, and its a bit less wide. // 8

Sound: I play alot of music, everything from jazz to metal to hardcore, and I play through a Peavey 212, this guitar, when you arent playing, it's not noisey, and when your playing, (out of the bridge) you get an amazingly full sound. (Depending on your amp settings) you can get amazing highs, or amazing lows. The really unique thing about it, is that you can put the toggle Switch in the middle, and get the sound of the Single Coil and the 500T, this sound is truly unique and is never found in any other guitar. The body is amazingly light, yet gives awesome sustain with lots of gain, however, when the neck pickup is on by itself, it doesn't have nearly as high of an output as the 500T, but if you turn up the vol and use that pickup all the time (jazz) its sound is wow. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything on this guitar came perfect, low (but not to low) action, the pickups were fine, (but I moved them both up for "my sound") awesomely done. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar was made solid, and is very dependable, but I ran into one problem. The finish is really thin! The slightest knock could chip it, so beee carefull! // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar seems to be the long lost cousin of the Gibson SG 90, which also has split diamond inlays, a similar pickguard, if not the same and also same style of knob configuration. The SG-Z was made for the 98 production year and thats it. I do not think I will ever sell this guitar because it is a collector's item and it also sounds great and plays great as well. I have only seen two of these on Ebay since I bought mine a year and a half ago. I was very lucky to get one and for relatively cheap. I think my favourite feature is the neck, it plays and feels smooth. // 8

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Grace Potter Signature Flying V 7.8 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014