Shred V Review

review (1) pictures (2) 71 comments vote for this gear:
Shred V Reviewed by: MegaCommandant, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 1074

Purchased from: Steff Music

Features: The Shred V is a guitar build for metal! The Shred was a part of the Guitar Of The Month series in 2008 as the August model and production was limited to only 1000 models. The Shred contains 22 frets on a mahogany ebony fretboard with black acrylic Dot inlays. The Scale Length is 24-3/4".The body is also made in mahogany and is formed like a Flying V. The finish is in black, so it gets the metal look. The bridge is a Kahler 2215K tremolo system which gives you the opportunity to make insane divebombes or just a little tremolo vibration. The Locking Grover tuners keep the guitar in tune no matter how hard you push the Kahler. The Shred has 2, 85 active EMG pickups to give it a great metal sound. To control these 2 beasts, there are a volume, a tone control and a 3-way selector. A special designed hardshell case follows with the guitar. // 9

Sound: I play a a lot of different music but mostly metal which is the reason that I bought it. The EMGs create a fantastic sound and I can't believe how I have survived without the Kahler before. But the guitar is not only good to metal, you can use it to classic rock and other more peaceful music styles. But I would recommend you to buy the Shred V if you want a metal guitar and blow the money on a Les Paul if you want to play blues. I use a Roland Cube 60x and a Boss Metal Core pedal. The guitar works excellent with these 2 and I can only imagine how good it would sound with a Marshall stack! The Shred Got a rich sound and divebombs with the Kahler is really easy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is solid build, the neck is put together with the body and everything sits where it should sit. All the hardware is working good and in the year I owned it there hasn't been a problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would put my own life in the hands of this guitar if I could. I have played life with it a couple of times and it has never failed me. I trust Gibson's reputation of making excellent guitars and this one is certainly no exception! // 10

Overall Impression: If you are seeking a good solid guitar for metal, the Shred V is perfect choice. I love the the details and especially the hardware on it, but if your paycheck isn't in the highroller class you should consider another guitar. The only thing I could miss on this guitar was maybe some more creative fretboard inlays and more tone controls so I could create a kill switch. But the Gibson Shred V is an amazing guitar build for metal and quality! // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ 120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune 7.1 Electric Guitars 08/15/2014