Slash Goldtop Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Slash Goldtop
As the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses, Slash singlehandedly revitalized the electric guitar with some of the most blistering, colossal riffs known to mortal man.
 9.2
 9.4
review (1) pictures (4) 36 comments vote for this gear:
Slash Goldtop Reviewed by: rock.meet Slash, on november 09, 2012

Features: Ah I chose to work all summer at the right time! I was saving up for a Les Paul, had ALMOST chose a new Traditional, but then I saw that there was a Slash Goldtop coming out... So I did the right thing and waited for a month to get this beaut. Brand New, they let me open the box. It was the coolest thing ever! Now down to the nitty gritty. This guitar is a 2008 model, 1 of 1000. It doesn't tell you what number though, I'll have to look it up sometime. Gibson means made in the USA though, so build quality is top notch! 22 frets, rosewood fretboard over a mahogany neck, mahogany body with maple top. That Nitro finish is amazing! The bridge rocks, a Tonepros Tune-O-Matic TP6, just perfect. It's got the amazing sounding Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro's, bridge and neck. They sound just incredible. There are 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs, and the neck pickup tone knob has a special circuit that makes it not lose tone or volume when rolled back to the "woman tone" that Slash uses so much. The tuners are just the Standard tuners (green key) that Gibson uses on most higher end guitars nowadays, so that's ok, they are nice, stay in tune for the most part. I changed out the strap holders for Schaller locks, I just didn't want to risk droppig This Girl. It also came with the case, very nice, white velvet, Slash's charicture on the front, Certificate of Authenticity (hand signed by Slash!), it had a bag of humidifying stuff, it's still in the case, no strap or top hat though, it's no Epiphone =] but I had my mind set on another strap anyways, big leather one with metal bullets =] so all in all, I have put more than $2300 USD on this guitar. Oh, and I love it so much that I named it. Kayla. // 9

Sound: This baby rocks so hard for just about everything, it sounds really wierdly cool in really low tunings, because of the low-output humbuckers, but I usually play Rock N' Roll, and a lot of Guns N' Roses, because it sounds just like that Slash tone on all his albums, I'm playing through an early 80's Marshall 5210 (it's solid state but kicks some cheap tube butt) 50 watt combo amp. The guitar has a nice thick, warm, but still bite-your-ass tone, those Seymour Duncans keep it under control. The cleans are nice and warm but still bright enough to keep it out of the mud. Dirty they just rip, so thick and juicy and... ahhhh... it's hard not to play this guitar at all hours of the day. The pickups can go from a close SRV tone (neck volume and tone both full, and attack hard!!! ) I use 11 gauge strings, as I believe that Les Pauls need the thick strings to help that thick sound along, and with the neck pickup at volume full, tone rolled back all the way, it's a nice November Rain-esque tone. It's VERY nice. Bridge pickup volume, tone full sounds so raw and dirty like the Appetite For Destruction tone, it KILLS! But honestly, work with it and you can get whatever sound you like. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This was one of the first guitars to come out of the Gibson factory with the Plek'd setup, and wow. That's all I have to say. It was set up just PERFECTLY! I haven't messed with anything yet, except tuning (1/2 step down for the 11's, to keep the tension right) The action is pretty low, just low enough to play easy and not have any buzzing. The pickups are at good heights, the neck pickup is flush with the body, and the bridge pickup is up closer to the strings for more tonal difference. I think the only thing that I found to be disappointing was that there was some dirt in the corner of the neck and the neck pickup, which was really hard to clean out, but it just got dirty again, so I don't worry about it anymore. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Without a doubt in my mind, this guitar could keep up with any Live rig, and after being to a couple of local shows, I noticed that just my guitar is more expensive than the whole band's setup. That is really sad to me. The hardware is professional quality, but I didn't feel comfortable with just strap buttons, as I said before, so they are Schaller strap locks now. I now depend on it like it is a life and death issue, and it hasn't put me to death yet. I would use this at a gig with no backup, but you know, there's different sounding guitars for different styles of music, so I would probably bring some different guitars if I were playing a variety of music, even though this is pretty versatile on it's own. The finish is cool, I am waiting for when it gets an aged, distressed look though, I think it should look awesome. A lot of my friends give me crap because I have a bunch of buckle rash on the back, because I play standing up like everyone should if they ever plan on playing on stage! I don't care what they say, it just makes it more of MY guitar. I'm not worried about resale value, I am NOT planning on selling this baby. I guess this is a personal preference thing, just like everything else in this review, but whatever. // 9

Overall Impression: Rock and f-ing roll baby! This guitar just screams it, just like the man Who it was inspired by. Slash is my Idol, my main inspiration, and I swear, he has to be my real father too lol. I have been playing 3 years now and Angus Young and Slash have kept me going the whole time. I own a crappy Washburn that was my first guitar, a Jackson RR3 Rhoads with EMG 81/85 pickups that I now pretty much hate after hearing my new axe. I'm not an effects kind of guy, so I have a wah pedal and a talkbox. Slash signature guitar, Slash Wah, and I really want a Slash amp, but that's too far. I'm not Slash, and I know it. I'm just heavily influenced and like the same gear as him. So when I bought it, I asked ALL the questions that I could think of, so I thought I had a pretty good idea of how this guitar would feel and play like. It blew me away. If somehow it got away from me, I would kill to get it back, or at least search high and low for another one. I just love it, but it would probably be pretty hard to get my hands on another one, being that there are only 1000 out there. I love that too, for the exclusivity. I also was told that I am the ONLY person in Oregon with my guitar, because all the other ones were shipped out of state. I just love my guitar! I compared it to all the other Les Pauls that I have ever played and this one kicked everything else's butts. Playability, unique-ness, the Slash name on it, they all had a profound influence on my dropping so much money for a guitar. Most kids my age don't spend that much on a car! // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Grace Potter Signature Flying V 7.8 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014