Sonex 180 Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Sonex 180 Deluxe
It is definitely a character instrument and has great potential. Heck its a legendary name and has a great sound.
 7.2
 8.2
 6.2
review (1) pictures (5) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Sonex 180 Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: trade

Features: Made in the good ol' USA. 22 small frets with a Big maple "C" shaped neck. Body is Rosinwood with a tone wood core. Great Les Paul Shape But HEAVIER than any I've tried. Tune-O-Matic bridge with passive Gibson Zebra pickups. It's a 180 Deluxe so not the Dirty Fingers pickups. Two volume and two tone controls. With three position toggle close to pots. The tuners are stock Gibson but no badge on them. Mine came in a trade with an aftermarket case. // 9

Sound: I like guitars with personality. I don't really care where they come from, but if they don't sound good then I won't buy. I had a newer Ibanez with character issues, so I traded it for the Gibson. It has many sonic possibilities from that woman tone Slash is famous for to metal or blues punk, anyway its versatile. The neck pickup on this one is louder than the bridge for some reason. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Being a trade I did get it in excellent condition with the exception of a scratchy toggle switch. Sometimes I find string bends on the guitar a little on the difficult side for the higher notes. That's where I miss the Ibanez. All hardware still performs perfectly but the bolt on neck has a gap at the body which causes some tuning problems sometimes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have used the guitar as a backup and it can be my main guitar for bluesier songs. The hardware is good quality and strap buttons seem fine under the great weight of this guitar. I need strap locks for continued playing or when I'm feeling acrobatic. Good paint on the guitar and black tends to hide everything (except under a light). // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a singer/songwriter and play acoustic lots. When I want to get on the wild side the Gibson is there to wail. I have a couple Ibanez Roadstar's that I really like, and a great Mark Three Traynor amp from the 70's. The Gibson shines with this setup too. I despite the Gibson's quirks it is definitely a character instrument and has great potential. Heck its a legendary name and has a great sound. If it were stolen I would try to find another and feed it to whoever stole the first one. Then buy another on top of that one to actually play again. It would be nice to have the coil tap feature that the customs have. It's way better than an Epiphone or cheap Strat. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ 120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune 7.1 Electric Guitars 08/15/2014