VOS '57 Gold Top Re-Issue Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: VOS '57 Gold Top Re-Issue
Made In 2010 in the Gibson Custom Shop this guitar is based off the 4th Version of Gibson's Gold Top.
 8.6
 8.8
 8.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
VOS '57 Gold Top Re-Issue Reviewed by: KenG, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Eddie's Guitars

Features: Made In 2010 in the Gibson Custom Shop this guitar is based off the 4th Version of Gibson's Gold Top (ie Humbucker Equipped 1957 model w/ ABR Bridge and Stop Tailpiece) This guitar has the Standard Gibson Les Paul specs..... - 22 Fret Madagascar Rosewood Fingerboard w/ thin binding and red tortoise Dot side markers - 24.6 Inch Scale (Approximate) - 1/4 Sawn Single Piece Honduran Mahogany Neck wtih 17 Degree pitch angle on the headstock. Mounted to the guitar at 4 Degrees pitch vs USA Model 5 degrees pitch. - 2 Piece Maple Top - single piece Premium Honduran Mahogany Body - BurstBucker 1 & 2 Humbucker PUs w/ Nickel covers - Nickle plated ABR (non-retainer wire) Bridge - Lightweight Aluminum, nickel plated Tailpiece - Holly head veneer Came with COA and hang tags & Custom shop case // 9

Sound: I'm a Les Paul guy all the way and this guitar is what a Les Paul is all about. I like classic rock, Blues, modern rock etc and the LP is made for this kind of music. The guitar is quite loud and clear unplugged and sustains quite well. Sound wise it's very much like my R0 as the PUs used are the same and so is the basic construction & quality of materials. Classic Les Paul sounds as expected with 50's wiring, 500K Audio Taper Volume pots vs 300K on USA models and Bumble Bee styled caps. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up when I received wasn't totally to my preference but much better than Gibson USA setups out of the box! The action was a tad high but the tailpiece was all the way down to the top. Pickups were a little high as well. The workmanship is great, no ridges were the binding was handscraped, the inlays are clean with no trace of fillers, the nylon nut is well cut, but a tad high for me. The Low & High E strings are properly set back from the edge of the fingerboard. The strings travel nicely down the neck and line up well under the PU polepieces. The Top carve is very nice and the rosewood dark. The weight for a solid guitar is quite good at under 8.5lbs. Nice choice of blanks by the CS. Note this guitar came as a VOS (Vintage Original Spec model) and so had gunk on all the HW and finish to make it looked aged. This is not my cup of tea but no gloss models were available at the time and this one was hand selected from a large sampling as very light weight, resonant and great playing. So I went for it anyway. The good news is with some careful stripping down and cleaning the guitar now looks like a gloss model! Silver Polish cleaned all the PU covers, Bridge and Tailpiece. Goof Off removed the VOS brown gunk applied to all the screws & Virtuoso Cleaner removed whaever was on the finish restoring it to a high gloss. The neck is 50's style but not a huge as an R7 can be at times. This one is very close to my Traditional neck and so qute comfortable for me. No issue with the rest of the guitar, I'm going to score this a little lower since I don't like VOS. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Reliability on the guitar will be high as are all well-made Custom Shop guitars. Nickel hardware will now age gracefully without the VOS gunk on it and cleaning the stuff of the screws should ensure they don't rust or get heavily oxidized before their time either. I always replace the Standard strap buttons with my preferred locking types (Schallers) to avoid any disasters. The nitro finish is well applied and even and should with care last for many years as intended. I also use a dry rag and at time Gibson pump polish to maintain the nitro finish. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my fifth Les Paul since 2004 when I first bought my Elitists. I currently have a 2010 Traditional in Honeyburst, a 2010 50th Anniversary R0 V2 (1960 Re-Issue) and now this R7 Gold Top (1957 Re-Issue). I have a Peavey Bravo112 Amp which isn't seeing too much time in right now and a Vox VT30 amp which is in the bedroom where I mostly play so my family can still watch TV uninterrupted. The only thing I didn't care for was the VOS treatment on the guitar but thankfully with some elbow grease it is gone. I don't understand why people want this, I prefer to age the guitar myself rather than get one already aged. But to each their own I guess. If you've never experiened a Custom Shop model I urge you to try one out if looking into buying a Gibson. Yes they are more money but you also get quite a bit more for that money. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Special Voodoo 9.2 Electric Guitars 06/09/2014