Legacy Review

manufacturer: G&L date: 09/21/2012 category: Electric Guitars
G&L: Legacy
Leo Fender's G&L Legacy model is the pinnacle of the most recognizable guitar style in modern electric music. Playable and beautiful, this model features tortoise shell pickguard paired to a ultra-solid dual fulcrum vibrato tailpiece. Get your hands on an original.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.8
 8.5
 9.6
 7.4
reviews (4) pictures (8) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Legacy Reviewed by: ihatepeas, on february 09, 2006

Features: Actually these things I am not so sure about. I bought this from a friend and I did not get much info on it. All tuning nobs and actually any metal is stamped with the G&L logo and the case is custom with the logo on it as well. The case is a dream and it never messes with the tuning on it. The guitar rarly goes out of tune. It comes with a whammy bar and all of the wrenches to completely disasemble the guitar. // 10

Sound: The sound is beutiful. I play the blues and it flows with me and it is so unbelievable. I use a 25 watt Fender frontman amp that is crystal clear though the overdrive on it is not so good for the guitar. I use a pandora pedal but I generally leave it on a softer or bluesy effect though metal still sounds great with it. Also just with the pickups the sound range is great. It goes from soft clear to a high whine that will do for rock without distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up like a dream. I have found no flaws in the way it was set up. It flows and plays like a dream. I used to play a low quality Ibanez and the only way to describe it is like going from a Volstwagon to a Lamborgini. Basically it practically plays itself. It has a tabaco/sunburst finish and is overall light in color which gives it a smooth feel that I love. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The finish on this guitar has taken more abuse then a dune buggy. I play the crap out of this guitar and it looks brand new. As far as being able to handle live playing, I already did and the guitar performed better than me. It is absolutly dependable and it has given me no problems despite the constant abuse. I mean playing that I have put it through. // 10

Overall Impression: I love my guitar. I have been playing for a few years and it is the easiest and smoothest guitar that I have ever played (and I enjoy going to any guitar shop and putting their most expensive to the test). When I bought it I actually did not know what I had and I was pleasently suprised. Actually all I knew was that it was worth way more then the 300 that I paid for it. If I lost this guitar first I would cry and then I would work on finding a new one. They are fairly rare and most guitar players I know have never heard of the brand despite its prestige. // 10

Legacy Reviewed by: Jesse Pinkman, on september 21, 2012

Features: - 2011 G&L Legacy, made in USA - 22 Frets, pretty thin frets on mine. - Body is made of swamp ash with a toasted maple neck and rosewood fretboard - Transparent blonde finish - Strat body style - Bridge is a dual-fulcrum vibrato. Guitar has a graphite nut and string tree as well - Passive, single-coil alnico pickups (stock, my setup is a little different) - Controls given are a 5-way selector switch with three knobs, a volume knob, and two tone knobs. The tone knobs control treble and bass levels for quick adjustment in whatever room you're playing. - My guitar has two stock pickups, in the middle and neck positions. In the bridge I installed a DiMarzio Tone Zone S. - Guitar came with a certificate of authenticity, a parts list, and a really nice case. // 10

Sound: I play pretty heavy stoner rock on my G&L in the C-standard (2 steps down) tuning. I replaced the bridge pickup for a heavier tone and use the middle/neck pickups for the beautiful cleans that it produces. The guitar obviously has a great sound for blues, the original, stock bridge pickup was very trebly and very clear. These pickups all have a very shimmery, bright tone. I play this guitar very simply, with a Boss DS-1 Distortion and a DD-7 Delay pedal. I switch from my DiMarzio tone zone that I installed in the bridge to the fourth position for a beautiful clean sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The way it was set up is the reason I bought this guitar. I knew I could switch the pickups if I needed to adjust to have my sound. This guitar, at least to me, really felt amazing to play. The action and playability was amazing when I picked her up the first time. The knobs give the right amount of resistance to your turns. I'm not a huge expert on guitars and have limited knowledge, but I had that feeling like I. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was built really solidly. The strap buttons are fixed firmly. The guitar has seen quite a few shows since I've gotten with and haven't needed a backup even once. The finish hasn't faltered after many a night of my sweaty arm being all over it. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. I wasn't crazy about the sound at first, although I had adjusted things to get what I needed out of it. This guitar feels, looks, plays, and sounds beautiful every time. I've had the guitar about 6 months and am still shocked every time I open the case at the beauty and craftsmanship in this guitar. I would recommend for any Strat players or guys who like Strat style guitars. // 10

Legacy Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2007

Features: When I first saw this, I honestly thought it was a Fender Stratocaster, but after two years of playing I can safely say that it's a better guitar than a Fender Stratocaster. It has twenty two frets, which is a nice improvement over the Mexican Stratocasters 21. The neck is just flat out fast, it feels great in your hands. The finish is beautiful with the laminated top over it, it's a transparent red dyed into the wood. Just incredible. A slight annoyance is that the whammy bar doesn't screw in, but I've stopped using the whammy bar for the most part and I haven't missed it. Like a Standard Strat it's got a master volume, two tone controls, five way Switch, but mine also features a second Switch for the humbucker (mine is an H/S/S model). This neat little Switch changes the humbucker to a single coil, with a noticeable difference in sound. Mine came with a soft case and cable, but don't expect a great long lasting cable. // 9

Sound: I'd like to start off by stating that I have played hundreds of guitars, from the highest quality to the beginning starter electric, and if only there were enough words to describe how well this guitar sounds. I have played anything from blues to jazz to metal to rock to punk to soft rock (I like to be a complete player) and I haven't played a better sounding guitar, save my friends Gibson Les Paul, and that was simply for rock and metal. If you're looking for anything with a fairly clean sound this is the best guitar you'll find. I play through a Behringer 60W amp and mind you that's not the greatest amp out there but it sounds phenomonal. If you have something like a Marshall. I can't start to tell you how pleased you'll be. It's a slight disappointment in that the pickups do buzz a little, especially the single coils, but a good hand mute of the strings and they're silent. Rich sound, just incredible. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar the very first thing my friends commented on was the incredible action. Right from the factory the action was about as close to perfect as is possible, and with a little tweaking it plays like a gem. Everything was lined up right, no problems at all, no matter how picky you are. It's a beautiful guitar and it'll feel like heaven in your hands. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar Live multiple times and it hasn't failed me yet, nor do I expect it will. I had a slight problem about a year ago after I'd dropped it in which there was a loud buzz. It became evident that the sodering had come loose on the master volume Switch, so it was an easy fix and it sounds great again. I try to protect this guitar with my life, but obviously accidents happen, and I have yet to have any visual defects with the guitar. That was the only technical problem I've ever had, so simply put, this guitar is a tank. I'd be willing to bet that when I die of old age (I'm 17 now) this guitar will be in the same great condition it is now. // 9

Overall Impression: No matter what I play, this guitar makes it sound great. Everything works on this, shredding, tapping, harmonics, if you can do it on a guitar this guitar will do it. I've been playing for a little over two years but I have a lot of expirience and have played tons of other guitars. This is the only guitar I'd ever stand by this firm, and yes, I have played a Gibson Les Paul. G&L is better than Fender, hands down. Simply put, buy this guitar. // 10

Legacy Reviewed by: its irrelevant, on april 16, 2009

Features: Made in America G&L Legacy, late 80s/ early 90s model, I believe. Included hard case which is simply phenomenal. Doesn't even touch the tuning, got a nifty storage compartment to boot. Also came with a whammy bar which is nice but I don't use it much. A handy feature is the two-point tremolo, which I think is a more even bend and does less damage to your tuning. 22-fret maple neck is a dream. One of the fastest necks I've played (I've only been playing 2 years but I've tried some pretty fancy equipment--this thing far outplays my friend's Gibson SG). Three singles for pickups, and I love the tone. They seem to run a bit warmer and a bit hotter than a Strat, which I really love. Another oddity is the tone circuit. Unlike a normal Strat, where one tone controls the bridge pup and one the neck pup, on this guitar one tone is a low cut and one a high cut. They're both active regardless of the pickup you've selected. // 10

Sound: This guitar can do just about anything, but like any single coil guitar it's better at cleans/bluesey stuff. The bridge pickup is unbearably versatile when used with the tone knobs. I usually put it on the bridge pup with the tone down at like 3-4 for a nice warm distortion tone, it handles gain fairly well this way (I can get a really nice hard rock/punk sound out of it this way). For cleans I absolutely adore the neck pup on it's own with the tone rolled off just slightly to take out the edge. it's such a nice, smooth sound that's great for really anything. Really it can do most anything except for a really tight metal or rock sound. Single coils, obviously, don't have the tight low end that a 'bucker will have, so there's a downfall. It's still passable for the rock stuff though. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Didn't get it from the factory, so I wouldn't know. I assume it was pretty good, and it's held up rather well for how old it is. There is a tiny electronics issue I've noticed with an occasional buzz if I push the tone knob the wrong way, but it's no big deal. The pickup height was a little off, and the action isn't perfect but it's close--however I don't know how much of this is the guitar and how much is the previous owner. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a beast. I haven't managed to break it yet, and that says something (you should see my old Bass... ). The fact that none of the electronics are crackly or noisy should say something, although I have noticed a small ground loop issue if you push the low tone knob too hard the wrong way. Other than that, though, it's held up remarkably well--the tuners are perfect, the bridge/trem is in ship shape. The finish is a little beat and there's a couple dents in it, but this guitar is close to 20 years old, so I'm still impressed. // 9

Overall Impression: Easily the best guitar I've played and by far the best guitar I've owned--it plays like a dream, one of the fastest, smoothest feels I've seen and it's versatility is incredible. Only things I would change would maybe shield it to reduce the single coil hum and maybe get a red Lace sensor for the brige for a more humbuckery tone. I'm more a fan of neck pickup cleans with single coils but really prefer a solid humbucker bridge for dirty signals. It doesn't fit my styles perfectly, but I'll willingly sacrifice that as no guitar I've played can match it's pure playability. // 8

More G&L reviews rating category latest review
+ Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top 8 Electric Guitars 07/17/2014