Tribute ASAT Special Review

8.8
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Tribute ASAT Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2005

Purchased from: Croatian distributor

Features: Made 2004 in Korea. Telecaster re-worked in G&L style. It's heavy. 22 frets 9" neck with jumbo frets, ash body in cherryburst finish, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. Pearl pickguard. Bridge: G&L designed Saddle Lock with nickel plated die-cast saddles. Pickups: 2 large rectangluar Fullerton-made G&L Magnetic Field Design high output single coil pickups. Two knobs, and a 3-way lever for pickups. Usually comes with a gig-bag, but here in Croatia it wasn't so. I just got the tuning kit. Not that disturbing, but it makes the price almost double the one in the American stores. // 9

Sound: My guitar stile: easy-picking clear tones of brit-pop, and heavy riffs of Audislave. For the latter I suggest wider set of strings (from .10 or .11). I am using this almost exclusively with virtual amps (VSTs): JCM900 and Twin emulators, Native Instruments Plexi and FreeAmpSE, and a set of emulated stompboxes (SD1, TS1, PS1). I also seldom use the Zoom GFX 707 effects unit. This guitar sounds really convincing. Sustain is amazing, this is a heavy, well balanced guitar. A little more muscle and roundness than a Standard Telecaster, but very tone-aware, even when rocking with heavy distorsion. Neck pickup is softer, more bluesy, while bridge pickup rips it like nobodys business. Tone control actually works making a subtle difference in cleaner settings. I was afraid I wouldn't get enough groan without the humbuckers, but belive me, it's there. I'm not tuning it to D or lower anyway, so I couldn't get that kind of sub-roar. My computer set-up enables me to control the noise level quite well, but generaly the noise never gets in my way. I'm very satisfied with the sound of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well, just a little fuzzing on 5th and 6th string, but some of it due to the fact that I am not that cleana player. Finish is flawless. No comparison with most Ibanez guitars I saw in the shop. Wood seems to be of the top quality. Hardware IS crome. The jack-in slot seems to get unscrewed quite easily (after two weeks use). Other than that, this is built like a tank. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think it will last me a long, long time. It is only used in a studio, for now, and after 3 months I cannot complain much. It holds a tune, Switch works well, nobs are in place, and are mostly smooth, (volume knob does sometimes make a click in a very high amped settings). The finish looks like it could outlast ME (I'm 33). Strap buttons look sturdy and rigid. // 9

Overall Impression: I am a singer-songwriter and a sporadic guitar player. I play it for 15 years but never as a dedicated player. I previously owned a custom made soapbar Stratocaster copy, and a basic acoustic guitar. I compose using PC and program most of the stuff, except the guitar. I was quite unimpressed with this guitar when I got in the shop, mainly because of cherryburst colour and pearl pickguard. But, Telecaster fan as I was, I plugged it in and was stunned. After that it didn't matter that they didn't have it in another colour. I didn't wan't to miss this one, even if it was twice the price of some Ibanezes I was checking out. I only wish I had bigger hands/fingers, since the standard Fender-sized neck makes some grips very hard for me. But Morello made that 'jazzy' hold popular again, so. This guitar really got to me, and I'm playing a lot more than before, the sound and the overall feeling forces me to. I would buy it again, OK, maybe in more "alternative" colours. It's a Tele with a unique character, and I love it! // 10

Tribute ASAT Special Reviewed by: delizio37, on january 12, 2010

Purchased from: A "Sound" Choice

Features: Made 2004 in Korea. Telecaster Body w/ F hole. It's light. 22 frets PICKUPS: 2 large rectangular Fullerton-made G&L Magnetic Field Design high output single coil pickups BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash NECK WOOD: Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood fingerboard NECK RADIUS: 9" (228.6mm) NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8" (41.3mm) TUNING KEYS: 18:1 ratio, sealed-back, non-locking BRIDGE: G&L Saddle Lock with nickel plated die-cast saddles CONTROLS: 3 position pickup selector, volume, tone FINISH: 3-Tone Sunburst with Pearl pick guard and Rosewood fingerboard Gig bag included // 9

Sound: I play mostly Country, Soul, and Rock and Roll. I think is sounds great with it. I have a Peavey Valve King 112, Roland Cube 80x, Vox Valvetronix VT 30, and a Roland Micro Cube. Each amp adds a different characteristic to the instrument that just makes it even sound more enjoyable to play. The bridge pickup is not as bright as a solid body Tele but it still has that cutting edge to rip solo's. When it is cleaned up, it becomes a country players dream, it still has that snappy ness but with a hollow feel which is a very unique tone that is remarkable. When the switch is in the middle position, that's when the true tone comes out of this guitar. It has that "woodness" sound to it which makes it feel very backwoods like. Almost like that classic southern rock sound when put through distortion. The Neck pickup has a great blues vibe to it. When some "crunch" is added, it can have that Stevie Ray Vaughan type Texas vibe. If you play slide then this is the pickup you want to use because how clean and smooth is sounds. I have a Dunlop Wah 535q, TS 808, Boss Compressor, Boss fuzz, Boss Digital Delay 6, Boss Chorus, and an Ibanez tuner. The guitar does no lack tone when it is run through this setup. The guitar can get noisy at times depending how close you are to your amp and other electronics. When you have the pickup selector in the middle position, it cancels the noise out. I also on occasion will play Van Halen, Pantera, and Metallica and this guitar sounds great on those high distortion settings. I find that sound of playing slide isn't all there. I do it and it sounds good, but not as good as a solid body or a guitar with humbuckers. That's the only time it lacks in sound in my opinion. I also think that the tone knob is good but not great. Out of 10 I give it a 6 on the knob just because when it's turned 3/4 of the way down, it cuts out all of the treble. But, That can get replaced and a better one can put on for very cheap. My guitar teacher did that and it sounds so much better on his Tele. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup great. I had 10's on it but I wanted more of a fatter tone so I bumped up the gauge to 11's and it sounds even better. The sunburst finish is very appealing as well. No signs of rust yet, but I also clean the whole guitar once every couple of months to prevent just that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar live and I had people constantly coming up to me saying that they just love my tone. I would gig with out a backup but I always have another guitar with me. The finish is still intact after two years and doesn't show any sings of wear and tear yet. The strap buttons are solid and my strap hasn't come off yet "knock on wood". // 10

Overall Impression: I think this guitar was a match made in heaven for me. It fits me perfectly for the style of music I play. I've been playing for 6 years now and this is one of the best things I have bought. I own a Fender Strat as well and that sounds superb to but I feel that this baby packs a little more punch. I love everything about it from the tone right down to the finish. It also stays in tune which I am surprised for not having locking tuners installed on it. If it were stolen, I would probably kick the ever living s**t out of that person. I feel that these guitars a made better than Fender guitars. With Fender, you're paying for a name now rather than quality. At least with G&L you're paying for quality a reasonable cost. I would buy another G&L in a heartbeat for my next guitar. I tested out other models and they sound great as well. The only thing I wish it had was a G&L Dual Fulcrum vibrato and a B-Bender installed so I can get those classic pedal steel tones from it. Other than that, what a perfect instrument for me. Note: I don't believe in giving guitars a perfect ten because not every guitar is perfect for everyone so even though I feel like it deserves a 10, others may not. I'll rate it a 9.2 // 10

More G&L reviews rating category latest review
+ Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top 8 Electric Guitars 07/17/2014