Tribute Legacy Review

manufacturer: G&L date: 03/18/2011 category: Electric Guitars
G&L: Tribute Legacy
The G&L Tribute Legacy guitar sets a dramatic new standard in the popular price range by bringing unique G&L features and quality together in a surprisingly affordable guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Features: 9.2
 8.7
 8.9
 8.4
reviews (5) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Tribute Legacy Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2006

Features: This guitar has 22 frets ans has perfect size frets (in my opinion). It is a solid body in the shape of a Stratocastor. It is a laminated body. I'm not sure of the body wood but it has a maple neck, which feels great. The bridge is a G&L style bridge with. There is three single coil pickups with a 5-way pickup Switch. The neck and middle pickups are placed straight while the bridge pickup is in a diagonal position. // 9

Sound: I play anything from blues/rock to metal. This guitar fits my style perfectly. I have a traynor amp with a crybaby wah, a grunge distortion pedal, and a phaser. This guitar sounds great with all of the effects. Using the neck and bridge pickups alone can prove noisy, but other than that the sound is clean. Depending on the settings you set the guitar and effects on, the guitar can have a rich, full sound, or a thinner sound, like '60s rock. The guitar has great harmonics. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up well and the pickups were adjusted great. The bridge is in the perfect place and this guitar doesn't have any visible flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is perfect for live and personal playing. The hardware will last for a long time, and I would never use a backup guitar for it. The finish seems thick and doesn't look like it will wear off with lots of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for anybody who plays guitar. I have been playing for almost 4 years and I used an Epiphone les paul special, which made me angry all the time. I got this guitar about a month ago, and it was amazing how much better it felt than my old guitar. The only thing I dislike about this guitar is its noisy pickups, which on distortion can get pretty loud feedback. Compared to a Fender Strat this guitar is the same quality, maybe even better! I only wish the whammy bar holder was a screw in, so the bar wouldn't fall out. // 9

Tribute Legacy Reviewed by: The Young Page, on august 15, 2006

Features: Made in the US, this guitar is a great beginner's guitar. With 22 frets marked with pearl dots beginning at the 3rd fret, it has medium-sized frets and looks just like a Stratocaster. It has three Standard Stratocaster pickups and a string-thru body style bridge, complete with a 5-way pickup switch a volume dial and 2 tone dials. It has chrome, non-locking tuners and a floating tremolo, so be careful when you detune. Includes soft case, whammy bar, srap, cable, and tuner. // 7

Sound: It is great for blues and classic rock, which is what I play. I suggest using it with a nice Fender tube amp; personally, I have a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212. I don't use any effects with it and it plays best with a rich, full sound, with the tone knobs all the way up and the pickup switch in the 1st position. It can go very loud, although it doesn't have much variety and since it is single coil it tends to buzz a lot if you add gain. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar brand new and there weren't any problems with it at all. This guitar is great for it's low price and it was extremely well-made. Everything was adjusted properly and set up for me. The action was good and the pickups were adjusted rather well. The bridge was properly routed and top properly bookmatched. There weren't any flaws. However, maybe a year after I bought it, the intonation was out. I just took it back to the store and it was fixed in a day. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar many times while playing live and it sounded great. It will withstand the test of time since it was extremely well-made. However, it is only a good beginner's guitar. I would suggest buying a nicer, better-sounding, unfortunately more expensive guitar after a few years. The finish is good and will not wear off and it is very dependable; everything is tight on this guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a good match for my style, which is blues and classic rock. I have been playing nearly 2 years and I also own a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 tube amp. If I needed a new guitar, I would buy a different one, preferrably a Gibson (one can dream). I love the feel of it; it is very comfortable to play. This is my first guitar and I love it and if anyone wants to start playing and doesn't have much money to spend I would suggest this guitar. // 7

Tribute Legacy Reviewed by: ScruffMcGruff, on november 16, 2007

Features: Setup just like a Strat, only with the G&L touch. I've been playing this guitar for quite some time now, and have grown very attached to it. It's unique look and feel set it apart from other guitar players I'm around. The bare wood finish and red pick guard are really big eye catchers. It's pickups are of course from G&L and are great quality single-coils, you can cancel out background noise by using two single-coils at once with a flick of the pickup switch. The Floyd Rose it came with allows you to take the whammy bar right out of it's socket if you don't use it much or if it's getting in your way. The neck doesn't have any lacquer finish, so there's hardly any friction on your hand when moving up and down the 22 fret neck, great for fast playing. The fretboard is made of rosewood, and gives a great contrast in color to the bright mahogany body. I couldn't have asked for anything else, love this guitar. // 10

Sound: The tone from this guitar is rich, and great for clean playing, even without an amp. I wouldn't recommend playing it without an amp in public places though, especially with other guitars being played around. Since the wood is more dense the sound can't resonate as loudly as lighter woods can, so it can get drowned out easily. I got to try it on my practice amp, a 15-watt Behringer GM108 and a Fender tube amp at someones house and there was a huge difference. This guitar's sound should be held back by a fair amount if you use a cheap amp. It's great for blues and classic rock, and even metal which is my main style of play. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Just about everything was setup the way I would've liked it to be when it was shipped. No flaws, to this day have been found on the guitar. Everything seemed like it fit in snuggly during assembly, except for the Floyd Rose bridge, which was slightly unaligned with the pick guard. I'm kind picky about that stuff. It had moderate-low action and still does. I haven't had to make any adjustments to it. I've used the same strings since the day it arrived to my house (although I shouldn't be). I've cleaned them well, and made sure to make note of any loss in tone over long periods of time. I haven't run into anything yet, so they're very good strings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been through a few times where I accidentally bumped parts of this guitar's body to certain objects, but no very hard. The finish holds up pretty well. Regardless of how many times I've hit it on stuff I've seen absolutely no scratches on it. The strap buttons have unscrewed from time to time, so If you purchase this guitar I'd advice you to check to see how loose they are on a weekly basis or so, and tighten them with a screw driver if necessary. It's only gone through about 9 months of playing, an average of 2 hours of play per day and I'm already seeing some wear on the frets, but nothing too extreme that it causes significant fret buzz or loss in tone. Also, the locking screw for the whammy bar never shipped so when I tried using it, the bar fell out easily. It took 5 months to find the right size screw so I could easily use it without worrying about it falling out. Then finally the nut that seals the output jack came loose, it was kind of frustrating trying to put it back together so keep an eye on that too. // 7

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and metal mainly. Lately I've started learning the blues scales so I've been doing some blues licks to and they sound delicious on this guitar. I've been playing for about 9 months, great beginner guitar. All the little remedies I had to go through were worth it for this guitar, it's value alone encourages me to play more. Great for all styles of play in my opinion, unless you're in a really hardcore/dark band, you should get the sunburst version so it matches the band theme better. // 8

Tribute Legacy Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2010

Price paid: C$ 649

Purchased from: Buds Music Centre

Features: Made in Indonesia, it has a rosewood fretboard with 22 frets. The body is swamp ash and the neck is maple. Strat body with a transparent blueburst finish and a pearloyd white pickguard. Its got a vibrato bridge, a 5-way selector, and 3 fullerton-made Vintage style alcino V single coil pickups. There are 2 knobs for the tone and 1 volume knob. Non-locking tuners, I'm not sure what brand they are. Came with a gig bag, an Ernie Ball guitar strap, and a hell of a lot of picks. Wouldve been nice if it included a hardshell case, but the free gigbag still does the job. // 10

Sound: I play lots of rock. Not really one specific genre, but whatever sounds good to me. Its perfect for everything I play, but I lean towards softer stuff rather than heavy rock. It takes care of all the songs I want to play pretty well. I use a 65 watt Fender Princeton amp. The guitar sounds amazing clean or distorted, but I personally like the clean sound better. It puts my old Silvertone to shame (obviously lol). I think this is equivelant to some american strats I've played, except this guitar is cheaper. You can get some great country twang out of it, and bluesy stuff sounds great on it as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action seems fine, the pickup height seems fine, everything plays great, no adjusting was needed. The only problem was that the output jack was a little bit loose, but I tightened it and I haven't had any more problems with it. It fits nicely in my lap, and the body is very comfortable. Something that bugged me was that the volume knob on this guitar is a little close to my hand when I'm playing it, so when I was first using this guitar I hit it sometimes with my knuickles. It took a little bit of time to get used to, and now I'm not bothered by it. All strats have the volume knobs in the same spot though, so its not this model's fault. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar hardly ever needs tuning. I take very good care of my guitar, I've knocked the headstock a few times, but thats the worst I've done to it. I would be comfortable using this guitar witout a backup, its very durable and its all I need for the music I play. The finish hasn't changed, I leave it out in the sun sometimes and it still looks as nice as the day I bought it. // 9

Overall Impression: Its great for all the stuff i play, and I've been playing for a bout 4 years now. I used to own a silvertone, I'm not sure what model but it was a piece of junk. I sold it right after I bought this G&L. Like I said above, it wouldve been nice to get a hardshell case with it, but as for the guitar, its all I would ever need. If it were stolen I would probably get another one, or I might get a G&L ASAT special, also with a bueburst finish, cause it looks amazing. // 9

Tribute Legacy Reviewed by: dmiller56, on march 18, 2011

Purchased from: JC's Guitars

Features: Made in Korea in 2003 with US hardware. 22 frets with a Maple fretboard and feels great. Laminated top, swamp ash, with a blueburst finish. Very very pretty. It has the G&L Standard bridge. 3 single coil G&L pickups with a 5-way selector. The tone knobs control bass and treble, an unexpected plus. // 10

Sound: I play rock, Indie rock, and experimental music. It plays it all great. I have had a Line 6 Spider II 150 watt that I was planning on selling after I bought the guitar. The amp has never sounded good. I plugged in the guitar. Normally the amp is supposed to help make the guitar sound better. The G&L made my amp sound better. Absolutely crazy. So full and no noise on clean. The sustain is pretty rad too. Harmonics are all in line. Compared to my friend's American Deluxe Strat, it is very close to the same sound. Very very impressive. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know if the action was set-up by a previous owner, but it is perfect. I put some Elixirs on it after slightly adjusting the saddles and it sounded sooooo good. Everything is put together so well. Pickups are still the same and have not been adjusted. I went through all the hardware when I first bought it and everything was in line. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played it out yet, only for jamming so far. All the hardware has lasted this long, so I am hoping it will continue to last. There is normal scratches from wear and tear in the laminate. Strap buttons are right in place. I would totally gig with this. // 9

Overall Impression: So far the guitar has matched my music very well. I have played guitar for about 5 years and own a Takamine from their Natural series. I wish I had known about G&L before I bought my last electric guitar. I had no idea that Leo Fender had started this. Sounds like an off-brand until you find that out (makes it worth researching). I only wish that it had come with the whammy bar, but it was used, so that was understandable. I absolutely love how radiant the finish is when in the light. Definitely would be cool on stage. // 10

More G&L reviews rating category latest review
+ Climax 8.5 Electric Guitars 03/11/2014