Detour Review

9.6
 8.8
reviews (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Detour Reviewed by: Danielj, on august 27, 2005

Sound: I play a lot of soft rock, but sometimes hard rock. No heavy metal, although when I have tried it it can easily cope. I play a lot of Blind Melon, Marillion, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Neil Young etc. This guitar can easily change from hard rock to soft rock, perfect for a song like Stairway To Heaven where it gvoes from clean to distorted. On the clean channel, the bass strings have a distorted tone whereas the high notes are rich and full. It is the perfect guitar. I use it with a Roland Cube 15 or a Marshall 30 watt. Works great with both. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have not yet played a guitar with as good action as this one. I'll go to a friends house and play a Fender Telecaster, and not be able to do the solos I do, Comfortably Numb, Stairway To Heaven, etc. It came perfect. No flaws at all except for some discoloration on the fretboard, which I dont mind at all as long as I can play it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock n' roll, a bit of folk and blues, and it is perfect. I've been playing 8 months, and play 4-5 hours a day. l I'm addicted, with this guitar it makes learning much easier. I wouldnt be able to solo like I can without it. I love everything about it, If it were lost or stolen I'd buy anohter in an intant, then track the guy down, take mine back then I'd have two. // 10

Detour Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 17, 2005

Features: Well when I was shopping around for a good beginner guitar again because my previous one was humiliating. I was searching for a guitar that said a lot. After deciding with other makes and models I took a chance with the Godin Detour (Freeway style). Well when playing the guitar at the store I noticed it direct detail everything built on it was hand built to perfection and had a good solid piece. The Detour was made in the USA with hand built parts from Canada. Using some of the finest materials to its maple/rosewood medium neck to its power coated black finish tuners. One thing you can't keep thinking about it's that on some guitars something's on it would stand out more than the other pieces but the whole guitar smacks you in the face. I admired the black metallic finish it since I work on fine luxury automobiles I can tell that the finish was excellent since it didn't have any waves or ripples. It was wet sanded and buffed to perfection and buried under clear. Well after I was day dreaming about the look I paid close attention to mechanics the volume tuner and tone were matching metal black finish as the guitar giving it a strong simple look along with the 3-way selector. The Godin Detour used the floyd rose hum bucker pickups which had the Godin emblem on them. Along came with the guitar was a kick-butt guitar bag ready to take compliments and turn head another thing this gig bag can take is some serious beatings also it has some of the craziest padding I have seen on just the bag multiple pockets to place pens and strings picks and books. It is changeable to the backpack double strap style or the side bag styles to hold it both ways are padded generously. To tell you the truth I was just as much as in love with the bag as I was with the guitar. For the Detour by Godin I give it 5 just because of it's detail and it's friendly feel to me and not only that it's one of the best guitars to buy under $600 CDN for a determined beginner. // 10

Sound: The sound accompanied with a Roland Cube-30 is awesome and really amazing I was exceptionally impressed by the crisp sound it delivered at a low or even high volume. Since the Detour does not come with a tremolo bar is great because I don't use it anyways and I like to have my guitar kept tuned when I am playing, I like the vibrations. The guitar delivered a rich mind sensation sound although it doesn't have tremolo bar the amp helps me out on that one giving me 6 different sound effects, delay/reverb options and chorus/phaser/flanger/tremolo. The combination has an outstanding variety with its bright strong sound to even blues acoustic style crispness. I give the sound 4 since it does not have the option of a whammy bar I feel that would make beginners feel limited and want to try it with one. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup is outstanding and when buying the guitar brand new with the registration papers and everything kinda makes you feel like you bought a car! The Godin Detour came with a card with people's initials who have installed each part by different people and has a signature for quality and functions. The pick-ups were well fitted and adjusted. There were no flaws but only thing that did give me some concern were the frets sticking out about a millimetre of the finger boards. But with a good guitar tech. he or she can file them down for a smooth run along. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since this is a beginner guitar if I had to choose this with others in its class price range and modifications I would most certainly choose this as my weapon of choice. This is a hand built piece that I feel will out last many. It uses some of the finest products and materials I feel confident in this guitar itself. // 8

Overall Impression: I play lots of blues and reggae some of my own style of up and down speeds really put this guitar to work and it delivers! I have been playing for 5 years and I play religiously I do admit I am not the craziest of guitar player but I can battle with this guitar for ages on a Gig. I own a Peavey amp Rage 158, Fender Strat Deluxe (my brother's) and Nova Acoustic. Only thing I wish I asked was maybe why it's not advertised it certainly blows the Godin Freeway away. It is relatively new of a model if it were to be stolen to be honest I am attached to it and I think it's great I would by one again. I love the paint and finishes, the quality, the brand itself that once did not know of and the more home feel because it is a Canadian guitar and I live in Canada so I feel that the service and the word I have from the Godin guitar company other than legendary guitar companies such as Fender, Gibson and Ibanez would make me feel like I'm just another "customer." My fav feature is the combination of the Roland Cube-30 amp and the Detour is outstanding really blows me away. I compared it with brands such as Yamaha and Fender. I chose this one because of its rich sound its fine detail and originality and it was a risk well taken since I once was a big Fender fan! Only thing I wish it has was some crazy Seymour Duncan pickups and tuner locking mechanism. // 10

Detour Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2005

Features: Well, me and my friend where out looking for a good guitar for me to start out with and we looked thru all the guitars: Gibson, Ibanez, Fender, etc. Finaly I found this; the 2005 Godin Detour. It has a slick look with a good sound and came with a tuner and gig bag. All the parts and style to it is Godin and its color was "black pearl." Overall, this gets a 5 in my book. The cool thing is. This guitar will cost you 500$ max, and plays great. I have seen some Gibson's that don't sound this great. And it keeps tune well, also. // 10

Sound: Its sound, as stated is great. It has a amazing variety with lots of settings. It suites all my styles (rock and classic rock) and is good for country too. Overall another well earned 5. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: First off, it was well setup and adjusted. The pickup is on the bottom side like I prefer. It has no flaws what so ever. It also has a great finish and in action is great. It tests in action as well as some Gibons. Although not loaded with style, it's simple and prety yet not overly Godin. A 3.5 or 4 suites it. It's above average, for sure. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It can stand through anything and is solid too. It is increadebly dependable and can last a life time the man who sold it too me said that people find this one of the most reliabile guitars under and over 500$. A Solid 5, well earned. // 10

Overall Impression: My rock and slow rock easily matches this guitar. I have just started playing a while ago and this is by far, one of the best begginer's guitars. It can match anyone tho, making it very versital. If it was stolen, I have a option to get the same one or another for free in the same price range. I would get the same one. I love that it is versitle and recamend it to someone who wants a guitar that is versitle and under 500$. Overall, this guitar gets a 4.5 or 5. // 10

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013