Exit 22 Review

manufacturer: Godin date: 08/29/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Godin: Exit 22
The Exit22 is the latest addition to Godin's popular Performance Series. Featuring a solid mahogany body and a rock maple neck. The Exit22 is the first Godin guitar to combine a 24 scale with Godin's new 22-fret neck.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 8.7
 9.5
 7.8
reviews (5) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Exit 22 Reviewed by: Mistaa Man, on december 17, 2007

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Hand crafted in the USA in 2007 from Canadian parts, the 22 fret maple neck and fingerboard Godin Exit 22 is a beautiful guitar. It looks amazing, especially with that Natural Mahogany finish. To me it almost looks like a Les Paul but a different version of it. The string-thru body makes string changes pretty easy, especially because there is nothing to unscrew on the underside of the body. I do prefer stopbar tail pieces though, they are much easier in my opinion. There is one volume and one tone control with a 5-way pickup selector, meanin it is very versatile. There is one GS1 neck pickup, one GS1 pickup in the middle, and a GHB1 humbucker for the bridge pickup. The Standard Godin non locking tuners stay in tune very nicely so you don't constantly have to re-tune the guitar. it came with a Godin gig bag and there was some Allan Keys in it (truss rod keys). // 10

Sound: This is by far the best sounding guitar I have ever played. I don't care what you say, it is. It is amazingly versatile allowing me to play all my styles on one guitar, them being rock, metal, punk, some grunge and anything in between, and even some bluesy stuff. I use it with a Line 6 Spider III 30 watt amp, which is very loud, but it sounds so amazing with "Insane" mode on. It is only noisy in my room because of al the electronics in there (Playstation, computer, TV, etc.) But that is probably because of the two GS1 single coils in there. If I put the selector on the first and second setting, no noise, because of the humbucker. 3, 4, and 5 are noisy but when you play it stops. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I saw this guitar in the store I was like "holy shit!" and I asked to try it and then I just cranked it and it sounded amazing. The action was very very good and low, I don't think many people played it before me. The pickups sounds great in it and they were adjusted fine. No flaws at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Exit 22 will definitely withstand Live playing for sure. I would use this without a backup guitar for sure man. The hardware, I know will last, Godin guitars are amazing quality, and it was hand crafted too. The buttons see, to be nice and solid, yes. And the natural mahogany finish on it seems like it will definitely last. And since the finish is kind of soft like a matte finish, fingerprints are hardly to not visible. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the perfect guitar to match my playing, rock, metal, punk, some grunge and most of the sub genres of each. I have been playing for 2 years (December 25th) and I own a Fender Gemini II, Ibanez Gio GSZ120, Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and some ION starter guitar thing. I only wish I had asked the price beforehand. Because I rented this guitar to buy it so I pay like $48.50 a month on it to get to 581.50. If this were stolen heck yeah I would buy a new one No Doubt about it. I would hunt down the guy who took it and put salt in his eyes then pull his hair out. I love everything about this guitar. No hates. Compared to anything eles I have ever played, this is by far the best. I wish it had a Floyd Rose floating whammy bar and a bridge humbucker though, so that the noise would be reduced. Oh well, as long as play in the other room away from all then electronics I am fine. I recommend you go and buy this guitar right now! // 10

Exit 22 Reviewed by: Sguit, on august 21, 2007

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Features: This guitar is awesome. I don't regret the money I spent to buy it, it is really worth it, I even found the price low for this guitar. It is handcrafted in Canada. Available in maple or rosewood fretboard, the neck made of maple, the body is made out of mahogany, and it's all transparent finish give the guitar a very good look. It has the normal controls of an electric (5-way selector volume and tone). It has Godin custom pickups, S/S/H. And I got free with it a superb Gig bag that's worth about 80$ so it's a very good deal. // 10

Sound: It just sounds awesome, it gives a nice warm distortion and a rich clean sound, and I can get a very big range of different sounds without even touching to my amp. I can get very heavy sound to a smooth, bright sound, that's something I like very of that guitar. The only it cannot handle is stuff with aggressive sound, like punk. Outside of this, it is very verstile. But nothing can be perfect, in fact some pickups are noisy. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It is just perfect, all guitar is well made. I didn't saw any errors on it. The wood of all the parts is very high quality. It is well assemble. All is straight and well assembled. I saw no problems. It is well finished, all is perfect, there is just nothing wrong except for the pickups are louse but it isn't too bad. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I trust this guitar very much. I don't feel the strings will break after two weeks(a situation I've already saw). The strap buttons looks really tough, I don't think they will break in the middle of gig. The neck is well fixed to the body. The finish is really good and thick, doesn't look like it will go off over time. I could definitely bring it a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Really good guitar in all. The only problem is, even if sound is versatile, the look doesn't fit all styles, it has a more jazzy look. But that isn't a big problem since the sound is awesome, I am playing on a Marshall MG30DFX. I really see a huge difference between this guitar and cheap guitars. Before this one, I had a Barracuda guitar (does anyone know this brand) and this one is way better. If I lost it I would maybe not buy this guitar, but certainly another guitar from Godin, because you can see that are made with compassion. // 10

Exit 22 Reviewed by: Draltos, on january 05, 2009

Features: This guitar is handcrafted in Canada and assembled in the U.S. It come with a maple or rosewood fingerboard (I chose rosewood), a maple neck, and mahogany body.It has a 5-way selector, volume and 1 tone. It has Godin GS1 single/single/humbucker pickups. It came with an epic gig bag and a handful of picks. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds better than anything I've played under $1000 and may sound better than even that. I was considering buying an Epiphone I'd tried down at Long & McQuade even though it was a bit out of my price range, but this guitar just blew it away. It produces a very rich sound both clean and distorted, for which I believe the mahogany body is the culprit. I tried this guitar at Steve's with a 2 and a half thousand dollar Marshall which may have contributed to my amazement at the sound, but even plugged into my diminutive Peavey amp it makes a hell-of-a-sound. My favourite settings are 1, 2, and 5. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Some people don't like the "unpainted wood" look, but I personally love it, especially with the rosewood fingerboard. The action on this guitar was very, very low. Which is very, very good. The pickups on this guitar are great (is it true they use GS1s on Gibsons? ). Solid mahogany body is great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can't really tell you much about it's durability since I've only had it for a few days but it seems like a very solid guitar. I would play this guitar Live without a backup without a second thought. I know that the hardware on this guitar will last a long time thanks to the amazing quality of Godin Guitars and the fact that it's all handcrafted. // 10

Overall Impression: Amazing guitar. If your looking for a guitar in the $400-$900 range I can confidently say this is the best one you'll find. Period. It can play MANY styles of music VERY well. There is a huge difference between this guitar and some of the guitars you can get for cheaper. The only thing I would change is (if possible) make the pickups a bit farther from the strings (sometimes I hit them while playing). If lost or stolen I would definitely get another one. As soon as I got enough money... // 10

Exit 22 Reviewed by: RaziBoy, on march 31, 2010

Features: I bought this guitar from someone on http://www.ayosdito.ph/. Which means it's a second hand guitar. It was made in Canada and assembled in the USA. It's got a 22-fret Maple neck with a Rosewood fingerboard. Good, solid Mahogany body with a natural, semi-gloss finish. I can't wrap my head around what this bridge is called. But it's a really weird fixed bridge. At the back of the guitar, I see the ball ends of the guitar strings and I can look through the hole from the bridge and see the ball ends. So I'm assuming I have to insert the strings through the body from the back and through the bridge then wrap them around the tuners. Controls are 1 volume and tone knob and a 5-way selector Switch that switches through a S-S-H pickup configuration allowing for sound variety. As I said, pickup configuration is Single Coil-Single Coil- Humbucker. Neck and Middle Single Coils are both GS1 pickups. The bridge Humbucker is a GHB1 pickup. All electronics are Passive. The tuners are non-locking Godins. The guitar came with a bag, just as the large sticker with a bar code and serial number said. This bag, however, was not included by the seller. The features were perfect. // 10

Sound: Now, I'm not saying the sound is completely perfect, but it suits the styles I play perfectly, considering I'm not such a Metal-Head or Classical dude. I play, as every guitar noob does, mostly Rock and Alt Rock and the guitar handles the sound well. I play Acoustic sometimes and the Cleans sound great... Oh, lemme rephrase that... The Cleans sound GREAT! A lot of Feedback on a highly distorted setting. The faulty chord I had must've been the cause. So far, it suits the varying styles I play very well. And it is very versatile. I played it through a Marshall MG10CD at first... Yeah, I know, I thought the guitar was the problem but then I played it through a Mesa Boogie and it sounded great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory who was the dude who sold this to me had set it up pretty badly. He had adjusted the bridge in a way that every single note I played buzzed except for the harmonics. The neck was a little off-set too, and I'm getting it fixed. So as far as the setup goes, it was horrible. I tuned it perfectly to Standard Tuning... Oh.. Lemme rephrase that... I LITERALLY tuned it PERFECTLY to Standard Tuning but whenever I play an E chord or a Power Chord, you can hear it... Uh... Wave. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It will last live playing as it seems pretty durable. I'd depend on it to last for decades to come and to last through a rough show or gig. The semi-gloss finish will definitely last. // 9

Overall Impression: My styles vary, so does the guitar's abilities. But I just hope I don't come across a style that will finally defeat this guitar. Been playing for 9 months (But my skills are a bit accelerated). I own this and an Ibanez GIO which I rated a bit too high in my other review due to the dreaded new-product rush. I own a Marshall MG10CD, which is bad, but special to me. I really wanted a Paul Reed Smith guitar but someone had already bought it. If this thing were stolen, I'd try and look for something else. It's not that it's bad, but there are others of this sound quality as well. I love the look of it's body but hate the look of the headstock and the setup. I really wish it had another color rather than a bright, wooden look on the headstock. But other than that, this guitar is pretty good, and I recommend it :) // 8

Exit 22 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2011

Purchased from: Atlanta Discount Music

Features: Assembled in USA with Canadian components in 2004. Beautiful semi gloss maple body and rosewood rock maple neck with 22 jumbo frets. 2 single coils one humbucker, One volume one tone. Passive pickups. Comes stock with straplocks on the body. Very nice weatherproof gigbag included. HardTail which I prefer with a string through body. Nice solid smooth tuners. // 10

Sound: This thing can do anything you want it to do. With the 5 way switch you get 5 totally different voicings. Ceramic pickups that rival expensive alnico mags I have played. I play through a 73 Fender Vibro Champ and a 76 Prineton reverb. Very quiet in all switch modes. Everything from bright Sting to mellow jazz and everything inbetween except for metal. But hey, buy a Jackson for that. Great sustain with the hardtail. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bolt on neck fits tightly deep into the body. You couldn't stick a business card between the neck and body anywhere. The 4 offset bolts allow for very solid connection to the body. Incredibly well built with great attention to detail. Nice smooth neck finish, not sticky from sweat line some I've played. The finish is so nice you want to display it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The finish could only get better with age. The neck feels great and it is built overall like a tank. No nonsense, what you see is what you get. My only beef here is that I had to replace the pots after about 2 years and they are kind of an odd size. Shorter than a Les Paul pot, longer than a Strat pot. I wish there was a 9.5 rating here. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, a little country/folk and classic rock and this thing nails all of them, but not as much twang as a tele. Been playing off and on for 35 years and have played and owned 1000.00 guitars that don't come close to the overall value of this one and I keep comming back to it. That says a lot right there, its my go to guitar. If stolen or lost I would replace it immediately. Probably the only guitar brand I would buy online without playing it. // 10

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013