Freeway EMG Review

manufacturer: Godin date: 01/28/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Godin: Freeway EMG
The aggressive double-cut body of the Godin Freeway EMG Electric Guitar features a silver leaf maple center block and poplar wings for a unique bite and resonance that works with the active EMG-81 humbuckers to provide killer sustain. 25-1/2" scale generates a lot off snap and sparkling harmonic overtones.
 8.8
 8.6
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Freeway EMG Reviewed by: Thanatos920, on january 28, 2008

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: -Made in the usa the freeway emg features a 22 fret 25 1/2" rocking maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard to boot. The double cutaway body is made with a maple center and poplar wings and it has a Graphite finish. This guitar is loaded with two emg-81 active pickups, a 3-way switch, and you're Standard tone and volume nobs. The tuners are non locking godins but It doesn't go out of tune very often anyways (it's a Godin, nuf said about that). This Godin came with the Standard Godin gigbag (if you've ever had the pleasure of owning one you know you'll never need another gig bag) and alan keys to set up the bridge as well as a 9V battery for you're EMGs. The only thing that really bothers me about the guitar is that it has a fixed bridge instead of a tremolo bridge, and for such a great guitar with crazy gain and treble, perfect for metal, classic rock, and rock, it really should have had a tremolo arm. // 9

Sound: The freeway EMG has a beautiful sound, the tone control really gets a lot of different tones out of it. I mainly play '60s-'90s Metal, rock and classic rock. (Metallica, Guns and Roses, Zeplin, Avenged Sevenfold, Black Sabath etc, etc.) and this guitar can suit those sounds perfectly. I do also enjoy some classical pieces from video game scores such as FFX- To Zanarkand and I actually prefer the Tone this guitar delivers compared to my Classical. I use this amp through 2 marshalls for practicing I generally stick to my MG30DFX which is by no means the greatest Marshall amp, but with this guitar it still shines, and when gigging I use my AVT150X which this guitar rocks through, I love the sound, I love the number of tones you can pull out with small tweaks of the tone nob. The only real problem I've had is when using it with my Boss MT-2 (Metal zone 2) pedal, if you crank you're gain up too high it does get incredibly noisy. But that's more the feedback from the MT-2 than anything to do with the guitar (read reviews on the MT-2 and you'll understand). Other than that this is a high gain, high treble guitar, so as long as you logically compensate for that with your distortion settings (active pickups vs passives) then the guitar really isn't noisy at all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: According to the guy at the shop that I bought it, the guitar was less than a month old and he'd only had it in the shop for a few days. I don't know how much I believe that but it didn't change much of anything. The guitar was perfectly set up when I got it, like most Godins are. The pickups were carefully set and not too close to the strings, the bridge is fixed and routed perfectly, no flaws what so ever, The action is amazing. I've had it for 8 months now and still haven't needed to set it up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything on the guitar is perfect, the hardware is AAA no way it's going to fail, I wouldn't gig without a back up, not because I don't trust the guitar, just because it has active pick ups and if they die you don't have time to be fumbling in your case to change the battery. The finish will definitely last. The only thing is it has the typical Godin problem with the strap buttons, I had to change them out entirely. They weren't loose but they aren't the best. // 8

Overall Impression: For my rock/metal this guitar is perfect, I've been playing for about 4 years and own a Godin SD, A Ibanez RG, A Godin Velocity and a Les Paul Studio (1992). If it were stolen I would replace it in an instant, if I could not get a replacement I would buy the Freeway Floyd and Switch out the pick ups to these emgs. I love the sound, really wish it featured a Tremolo Arm and the EMG's really make the guitar. When I bought it I was looking at the Godin LG EMG, The Freeway Classic, Freeway Floyd, and the Velocity. This one kicked the crap out of all of them. The one thing that made me almost not buy this guitar was once again the lacking Tremolo arm, but the great Sound really blew that out of the water, and I may just wind up spending a good 1200$ to get one put in. THe other thing I found annoying is that it only came in Graphite, which is nice, but I really prefer the black pearl Freeway Floyd color. // 8

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013