Freeway Floyd Review

manufacturer: Godin date: 10/05/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Godin: Freeway Floyd
The Freeway Floyd represents the most aggressive of the three Freeways.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 9.4
 9.9
 8.8
reviews (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Freeway Floyd Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Features: - Neck: rock maple - Fingerboard: rosewood w/radius 12" - Body: silverleaf maple center w/poplar wings - Nut: locking - Scale: 25 1/2" - Bridge: licenced, low-profile, floyd rose - Frets: 22 medium jumbo - Neck pickup: Godin NHN2 - Middle pickup: Godin NSM2 - Bridge pickup: Godin NHB2 - Controls: 5-way pickup Switch, volume and tone. // 10

Sound: First of all, I play a ridiculous variety of music, so it's kind of difficult for me to find guitars that are versatile enough for me, but this one manages it, somehow. I play classical, jazz, blues, metal, classic rock, and anything else I find cool. The first thing I noticed about this guitar when I was considering buying it was the great range of sounds it produces. Each different pickup setting has a very unique character to it, distorted or clean, and the tone nob really seems to go the extra mile. I've used it on several amps, at various friends' houses and the store where I bought it, and it sounds decent even on a little piece of crap ten watt. I use a Fender 25R at home (yeah, laugh it up, I don't have a job) and this guitar manages to sound not too bad through that. On larger amps, this has a BIG sound to it, and tends to emphasize the bass end, so you have to adjust some settings if you want your treble to really cut. It's a bit noisy on the middle single pickup, but the other settings are pretty clean (better than expected in this price range). You also get some overtones from the springs in the back with the Floyd Rose, I'll have to cusion them with something. Overall, I'd say the guitar sounds smooth and clear, even when distorted. Usually, the Floyd can cause an intense, bright, harsh sound, but that's not the case here. It just seems to give the sound a certain rich precision, comparable to Steve Vai on the Ibanez Jem. Acoustic sound is great, which is the number one feature I look for in any guitar. If a guitar sounds like crap unplugged, no amount of hardware upgrades can fix it entirely (you might end up paying for a guitar loaded with the best electronics available, though). Playing unplugged this guitar sounds crisp and confident with good volume projection. Overall it has excellent sound for any kind of music, especially for a low-mid priced guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This axe was very well set up out of the factory. The store had to adjust it a bit, but there was nothing major out of whack. It plays really well, the action is hella low and the strings and fretboard feel great on the fingers. The neck is a bit fatter than I would normally choose, but somehow it plays as easily as many of the thinner necks. It has a tiny bit of a flattened cross-section, again, not my usual choice, but I guess you can't judge a book by its cover: After a day of playing on it I loved it. It has a very agreeable, smooth yet powerful feel to it. No flaw has reared its ugly head yet, and I have a feeling nothing major will go wrong with it. The finish seems good, and there's no looseness/buzzing/rusting/crookedness that I've found; Godin does a good job on quality control. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is excellent. It plays any style of music I've thrown at it so far, and it's tons of fun to play. Anything else I've played for under $1000 is blown clean out of the water by this guitar, and for about half the price of some of the others. I'm sixteen and I've been playing classical guitar for ten years and rock for five. I frequently play those two styles and everything in between (whatever the hell I feel like) on this guitar, and it keeps up fine. It looks like a badass metal machine, especially the all black one, but its pretty sophisticated deep down inside. If it were stolen or lost? I wouldn't lose a guitar like this, and once I was done with the poor bastard who stole it I'd probably get this same guitar again one way or another. Bottom Line: Buy it before they start charging what it's worth. // 10

Freeway Floyd Reviewed by: DeathByShoe, on january 30, 2006

Purchased from: Almighty Guitar Planet

Features: This beauty is assembled in the US from parts made in Canada. Great-feeling 22 fret rock maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and small dot inlays set to the left. The Superstrat body consists of a maple center with poplar wings, with a black finish. Licensed Floyd Rose-style bridge, HSH pickup config with Godin stock pickups, 1 volume, 1 tone, 5-way Switch, Godin non-locking tuners (with a locking nut), and comes with a gig bag. // 10

Sound: I play mostly just rock, metal and blues, and this guitar is absolutely perfect for it. I play it through my own crappy Fender Frontman II 25R (soon to be replaced, hopefully), a DigiTech Hot Head Distortion and a Dunlop Crybaby wah, and even through that budget equipment this baby shines. The sound is very balanced. I can get any sound I want or need out of it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a tad high when I got it. The pickups are still the way they came, I haven't had the need to adjust them. Every part is tip-top, no cracks or rust or anything. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand hours of live play. I just wish I could, you know, prove it. I won't ever have to replace the hardware, although I probably will get straplocks for it. I wouldn't do a gig with it without a backup, because that's just stupid. // 10

Overall Impression: This is excellent for eveything I do. I've been playing electric guitar for a year and a half, and this blows my BC Rich out of the water (not a big accomplishment, but whatever). If it were stolen, I would hunt down the man who took it. Then sell his testicles on the Black Market to pay for a new one. There's nothing to hate about it unless you drop tune a bunch, which I don't. My favorite feature is the Floyd. My other option was a Jackson DK2, and for me this was far superior. // 10

Freeway Floyd Reviewed by: will342, on october 05, 2006

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: The Freeway Floyd like all Godin guitars use select wood from Canada and are then assembled in the USA. It features 22 medium-jombo frets on rosewood with a rock maple neck. The body is made of solid Silverleaf Maple and Poplar wings. The finish is absolutly stunning, it's a shiny black pearl color with a slight metallic finish; really sexy looking. The body looks like a Fender Strat, although with longer wings and slightly curvier for a really sleek look. It's also got a matching headstock which is nice. The Freeway Floyd features a low-profile liscenced Floyd Rose bridge. This complements two Godin humbucker pickups on the neck and brige and a single coil pickup inbetween. The humbuckers are NHN2 and NHB2 models and the coil is a NSM2 model. These are controled by a five-way selector and a single volume and tone knob that do not hamper the sleek look of the guitar. Tuning is via Godin tuners with nut locking. This guitar came with a gig bag, three allen wrenches for fine tuning and a detachable tremelo bar. Overall, the guitar is packed with features and comes with all the basics you'll need. // 10

Sound: I play a large variety of music. From Beck to Nightwish, this guitar packs a ton of versatility perfect for any style. I'm playing it with a Crate GX60D double speaker amp. When played clean, the sound is rich and very deep with a really warm tone. In general, the sound is very consistent, especially for bass notes that just seem to sound absolutly perfect. The high end of the sound is also very full and bright sounding as it's very satisfying to play a high solo. When played dirty, this guitar can sound really evil! This is really apparent when using the bridge or neck pickup. Lots of sustain in the notes and it sounds really heavy while still maintaining the clarity of the note. The tone knob really does an effective job of producing any kind of sound you might want in combination with your amp. The Floyd Rose is set up great, huge dive bombs (which sound really cool) are possible without the tuning changing at all. Overall, there is a ridiculous variety of sounds possible, but because of the nature of the Floyd Rose, alternate tunings can take a long time to set up. This is something important to consider if you play using many different tuning styles because everytime you adjust the tension on one string, the rest go out of tune. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set-up perfectly when I bought it. It had never been played at the store and looked pristine in it's bag. It even came with a "quality control" tag on the neck with initials of all the workers that set up each part of the guitar! Really cool! As this guitar is handcrafted with such high standards, there was not a flaw to be found. The pickups are tight, the tremolo bar fits perfectly, tuning pegs move properly. Not a visual defect to be found, absolutly perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a rock. It's a little on the heavy side, but not overly so. The hardware (especially the Floyd Rose) seems really firmly placed and not likely to break. The strap buttons won't move a millimeter, they seem cemented to the guitar. The beautiful finish on this guitar still retains its original luster after a couple months of playing. Suprisingly it does not scratch easily and with a wipedown after playing and the occasional clean/polish this finish should last forever. Again, this guitar is like a tank, I would depend on it. However, I would not play it without a backup at a gig, especially with the Floyd Rose. If one sting where to break then the whole guitar goes out of tune. Restringing is a pretty lengthy process so it would be smart to bring a backup just in case. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is simply awesome. Really good for any kind of music, although probably best for rock and the heavier stuff. I've been playing about a year, although this is my first electric guitar. I started out on a Tanglewood acoustic, when I wanted to try electric I spent about a month going to guitar shops and trying out every guitar I could get my hands on. At this price range nothing came close in any regard to the Freeway Floyd. If this guitar was stolen, I would kill the person that took it and hope it didn't get scratch on it. The real strengths of this guitar is its sheer versatility, awesome sound, downright sexy looks and playabilty. The rock maple neck is incredibly smooth and makes playing a joy. I also find that this guitar stays in tune really well once you've set it up correctly, and of course the Floyd Rose is really cool. Of course this guitar is not perfect. The initial tuning can be really difficult especially with new strings as they stretch. If your hoping to be able to quickly switch to a drop d tuning or similar you'll be out of luck, expect to spend at least 10-15 mins to get it tuned a certain way. This guitar is somewhat high maintenance in that regard. Also some might be partial to the Godin pickups, although I quite like them and am pleased with their sound. Overall I'm in love with this guitar. It plays smooth as silk, sounds wicked any way you want it and looks like it should be put on display somewhere. I'm really pleased with this purchase. // 10

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013