LG Hmb Review

manufacturer: Godin date: 01/14/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Godin: LG Hmb
24 frets. Bolt on neck. H/H pickup setup. 5 way switching.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.2
 8.9
 9.6
 8.2
reviews (6) 3 comments vote for this gear:
LG Hmb Reviewed by: peachfuzz, on november 01, 2004

Features: I have purchased the humbucker version of the popular Godin LG model. It normally retails for $1099 (or so I was told) so I feel I got a bargain. It's got a solid laminated mahogany body (one piece), mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. 22 frets, string-thru body, one volume, one tone and five way selector: the humbuckers get split to give sort of single coil sound. The pickups are standard Godin models, obviously not top quality but they sound alright. Black machine heads, real solid but I can't say the same for the tuners unfortunately, they are sorta plasticky and a but fidgtey to adjust but once you get the hang of it they'll be good and you can always get 'em changed anyway. The finish is a natural type which is awesome, really shows off the wood. The other finish available is red satin which is pretty cool too. // 8

Sound: I tried all sorts when I dropped into the music store. I was actually shopping for my first electric, been playing acoustic for a few years. Anyway I was trying Washburns, Ibanezs, Yamahas and even the PRS Tremonti which is nice too but the Godin really stood out. Nice rich tone which can be accredited to the moahogany body and the sustain. The humbuckers are split so you can get pretty close to single coil sounds when you want to. Obviously not true coil sound but close enough. I play through a crappy 15 watt something-or-other amp which doesn't really do the Godin justice sound wise but it still shines through. When I plug into my guitar tutor's 100 watt Marshall stack the tone really does blow you away. I know this sounds like an ad but I am really impressed with this baby. I play a wide range of stuff, rock, blues, jazz, even metal and it excels at everything. You'd probably wanna get a good amp though coz as soon as it is plugged in it wants to scream! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was faultless. Action was just right for me, maybe a bit high for others but it feels like an acoustic which I am at home with. I spose that is why they have earned the reputation as a bad shredder but I can't shred anyway so it doesn't matter. And it might be a minor thing but when I put my hands close to my pickups, which you can't really help, because the humbuckers are metal plated, they go all yucky sorta foggy and sticky in appearance. I know most people wouldn't mind I'm probably just anal that way. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank. I know it sounds cliche but it is so solid I don't forsee anything happening to it in the near future anyway. I bumped the body on a door frame and instead of scratching or flaking like I've seen others do, it just bounced off. All I'm left with is a little dent. The Godin guys really have something going on. I wouldn't gig without a backup but that is just common sense. I definetly wouldn't use the backup. There was also a twelve month warranty which is nice. // 10

Overall Impression: This is all I'm looking for in an electric guitar. The sound is awesome and I can see it laasting me long into the future. Man I can't wait until it is played in, gonna be awesome! You might wanna change the action when you get it, or swap the tuners for something else but I am quite happy with it. // 8

LG Hmb Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2003

Purchased from: Jett Landry Music

Features: This is a perfectly finished guitar, absolutely no flaws, at least not that Ive noticed yet anyways. It's a 2003 model, Trans Red high Gloss, 24 frets, bolt on neck, absolutley perfect action and intonation, right from the factory, the store made no adjustments when I bought this guitar. It has an H/H pickup setup, 5 way switching. The bridge is a sort of cros of a tune-o-matic and a string through body design. The neck is a nice size, allthough I have played several LG's, and each one is different because they are hand made. It came with an awesome gigbag, that is at least worth 60 or 70 bucks. // 10

Sound: My style ranges from emo/hardcore to blues, and this guitar suits all my needs. I'm playing it directly out of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112 with only the amps distortion. The guitar can make any number of sounds. The 5 way switching makes it easy to get humbucking tones as well as single coil ones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and intonation were perfect, straight from the factory. This in one beutiful guitar. Everything on it is installed perfectly, and the finish is flawless. Theres not much to say, because it is so perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely gig with this guitar without backup, although I ussually have my Telecaster anyways. The hardware is all good, and the strap button are exceptionally well designed. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the perfect guitar. I would highly suggest this guitar to anyone without the budget to buy a Gibson or high end Fender. This guitar is right up there with the high quality gibsons, and for a fraction the price. // 10

LG Hmb Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 15, 2005

Sound: I play blues and blues rock through a Fender Pro Junior. Sometimes with a Boss Blues Driver pedal if at low volumes, since my amp only has one channel and needs to be pretty damn loud before it breaks up. The guitar sounds great. It also sounds amazing when unamplified, by far the loudest unamp's electric I've ever heard. The fact that I have 12's on there probably contributes, but then again they also contribute to a fat sound. The guitar weighs a lot but sustains forever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Finish was absolutely perfect. You could never find a Fender American Deluxe Strat with this level of finish. Believe me, I tried. The frets, everything, etc. was perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar for blues/blues-rock. The single-coil-ish neck position is great for chords, and the neck humbucker is great for playing lead. I wouldn't sell this thing for even $800 even though I only paid $500. At $1,000, I might be tempted into selling this for a LG Signature, but even then, I'd have to play a bunch of them to try and find one that I really like. I did compare this to a couple LG Signatures before I bought it but just preferred this particular guitar to them. Note: that's this guitar, not every LG that I played. Some I didn't like at all. Play a lot of them before you buy one don't buy online. The weight of the LG's in particular seemed to vary a lot. Mine weights a ton but some were very light, some say heavy is good, others that light is good, I wanted lots of sustain for playing some slide so I went with heavy. Lastly, note that if you buy a generic Les Paul case, you can fit the LG into it. It's a very tight fit and the LG doesn't move at all. But you have to do a bit of carving of the styrofoam in the case to avoid stressing the neck on the LG. Put it in a case and you'll see what I'm talking about, you have to keep the accessory pocket open, chop about 1 inch off the neck support piece, and shave some of the styrofoam from the part where the neck bolts onto the guitar. Sounds like a lot of work but I cannot build anything to save my life and only own a mini hammer and a crappy multi-head screwdriver and I was able to make it work with about 1 hour's trial-and-error work. // 10

LG Hmb Reviewed by: Pig, on may 12, 2004

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: Made in Canada and the US, 5 way position Switch(more on that later), mahogany neck, non-locking tuners, it came with the nicest gig bag I have ever seen. For a guitar in this price range, the features are outstanding. Either humbucker can be split and used as a single coil pick-up. The pickups are Godin's own, and I'm so far very impressed. With the single coils, there is very little noise, and with either of the humbuckers, the sound is top notch, much better than an Epiphone. I couldn't really ask for more, especially at this price range. // 10

Sound: The sound of this guitar is absolutely great. As I said earlier, I play it through a Marshall MG100DFX, which is a solid state amp, but it still sounds just as good as anything I've ever played. It suits my styles, which include mainly blues, metal, and older rock, although I generally play most anything. I haven't yet found something it can't play well. The 5 way Switch helps quite a bit, as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar didn't sit in Long and McQuade for long, so when I bought it, it had only been played a few times. It was set up from the factory very well, the action was great. This guitar is extremely playable, playing it is nearly effortless. Mine is a gloss black, very beautiful guitar. The finish is perfect, not a flaw at all. I hate anyone but myself playing it because I would hate for it to become damaged (although, based on what it has been through, I doubt that it would be damaged just by being played). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable. It would break if you intentionally brutalized it(although I can imagine it would take quite a bit of force), but just about anything accidental will hardly scratch it. Nonetheless, I'd reccomend a locking strap(for any guitar), because dropping your guitar at a gig looks very unprofessional. This guitar could definetly stand live playing, and I could gig without a backup. I definetly would use a back up no matter what I was using, because anything can happen, even with the most durable of guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: Before finally deciding on this guitar, I played many, everything from Ibanezes to Gibsons. I was looking at guitars with 2 humbuckers, and this guitar was much more impressive than the other two I considered (Yamaha AES620, and the Gibson Les Paul Faded). At the store, I compared the Les Paul and this one. The Godin was just a nicer guitar. The other two guitars are great, but this one is just outstanding. I can't really ask for anything more. If you are considering a guitar in this price range (or even higher), I'd strongly reccomend you take a look at this. I'm very happy with it. // 10

LG Hmb Reviewed by: DrivenMind, on july 22, 2008

Purchased from: Atina's Music

Features: I own a 1998 LG. My dad purchased it new in a little music store not far from where we used to Live. I'm putting this in the HMB section, because that's what my particular guitar mosts resembles. But being as it's an older model, before nearly anyone had heard of the company, I've had a hard time distinguishing what specific model it actually is. It has a mahogany body, and bolt on mahogany neck, with a rosewood fingerboard. 24 3/4 scale fretboard. The guitar has a five way selector, one volume knob, and one a two way tone knob. A Godin hard case came with the guitar at the time of purchase. The bridge is the type that anchors the strings in the back of the of the guitar, and goes through the body. I believe the color is Trans Red Gloss, although mine looks a bit darker than the images I've seen of this color. I have never actually seen another LG in person. None of The Music stores within fifty miles of here carry Godin electric guitars anymore, and the only guitars by Godin I've seen since have been acoustics. If you're looking for a guitar with exclusivity, a Godin is a very good idea. It didn't come with the humbuckers I always see in photos of this particular guitar. Mine front pickups are humbuckers but they appear to have two rows of magnets each (for a total of four), as opposed to the single row of enclosed magnetic posts I usually see on LG Hmb's. In 2004 or so, I had my rear pick up replaced with a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker which sounds great playing really heavy stuff, but I have outgrown it (I had it installed in when I was 17. Tone was not my main concern at the time). I'd dock points for the price, considering I've seen these guitars being sold used at much less, but since we bought it Brand New, and it came with a warranty, and a hard case I've got no complaints. // 9

Sound: I tend to jump around genres a lot when I play, but I was brought up playing the blues, and heavy rock. Today I play everything from alternative, to metal, to jazz (which I'm still working on) although the blues influences always tend to show in my playing. I also periodically jam with electronic music in the trance, and house genres. Despite the enormous variety of stuff I tend to play, I haven't found anything it can't do well. The sound is great especially considering the guitars price, and even though I am planning on retiring the Dimebucker pickup soon, it still sounds mean when I'm playing heavier stuff. I also play with heavier gauge strings (11s or 12s) which I've found significantly adds to the guitars sound. I play through a Marshall AVT50 when I play at low volume, and when I feel like being loud I play through my all tube Peavy Classic 30. Played through the overdriven Classic 30, is when this guitar really shines. It's heavy enough to sound mean, but still relatively rich in tone. I've played at a few jam sessions with buddies using solid state Marshall full stacks, and people are always blown away by the sound it generates. For effects I use a Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Pedal, a Dan Electro Cool Cat, and occasionally an MXR Compressor, and Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer. The worst I can say about the overall sound is that it's a little bassy at lower volumes. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Awesome. From the factory this guitar played flawlessly. The action has only been adjusted once in the past ten years, and that was done at the same time I had my pick up installed, so it probably didn't need to be done. This is one of the most reliable guitars I've ever owned. Even without the locking tuners, with me beating on it, and bending the hell out of the strings it rarely comes out of tune. Although it still works fine after ten years of abuse, I think I might need to change my pickup selector sometime in the next two years. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank. The strap buttons out last the straps I put on it, and partly because it's so simple nothing ever goes wrong with it. The finish still looks great, but after ten years of playing, and practicing, I've started to wear some of the finish off the neck and fretboard. I've had careless friends, and younger siblings drop the guitar, and knock it over, and aside from a few more acquired scratches nothing phases it. // 10

Overall Impression: Awesome guitar. Nothing else to it. At the moment, I own a modded Fender Strat with Texas Custom pickups, and a well set up modded Squire, with another set of Duncans, that I keep around for drop tuning. I've owned many different types of guitars, but when held in comparison with my trusty LG, they don't offer nearly the same bang for the buck. My next guitar is going to be another higher end model LG, and I will be perfectly happy, and comfortable making that choice with much hesitation. They are that good. // 10

LG Hmb Reviewed by: nano2009, on january 14, 2009

Price paid: C$ 399.99

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: The Godin LG Hmb that I purchased has 2 Godin Humbuckers, which provide excellent sound quality. It has a 5-way Selector Switch, for changing Humbuckers. It has 22 frets, and a bolt on neck. It features 2 turn dials, 1 for sound, and 1 for Tone. It has a string-thru body, which makes the strings easily changeable. The body is a Les-Paul remix. It has a solid wood body, with a Moahongany neck. The fret markers are off to the side of the neck, which makes them more visible. The Godin name is printed to the left of the fretboard, on the body. The Headstock is much like that of an Accoustic, 3 tuners on each side. // 9

Sound: My music style is everything from Led Zepplin, to Blues, to Even Metal. My Godin handles each very well. I am using a Marshall amp with Digital effects, which greats adds to it's superb sound. It can make many different varieties or sounds. The selector Switch can very well change the sound from solo's, to blues, to whatever you need. Given the right amp, you can achieve any sound you would like. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got my LG, there was a slight problem with the Humbucker, where it had caved inside the guitar. It was a quich stop to the local music store, got it fixed for no cost, and was on my way. No problems beside that, it is very well made. The wood used to create the body, is wood that has been salvaged from the bottom of lake beds, therefore manufacturing this guitar is very Green. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Hardware seems it will last for a very long time. I think you can get atleast 20 years of playing from the guitar. It feels very comfortable while playing, especially while standing, if you have a strap. The Strap pegs are easy to use, no ruining your strap. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression? One of the best, if not THE best guitar made. It can handle all sorts of different sounds. I see myself playing this guitar for all my life. My favorite feature deffinately has to be the body, it's eye popping! If this guitar was made my an American Company, there would deffinately be a 1000$ infront of the original price. This came with a Deluxe gig bag, which has many pockets, so I can store my guitar playing nessicities. Never again will you have to bring a seperate bag for your strap, cables, and tuners. Honestly, if I compared this to an Epiphone, SG, this would kick the SG's arse straight out of your local music store. I honestly believe you wouldn't be playing another guitar form a very long time. Have a good time, I hope you consider playing this guitar. Spencer Mosher. // 9

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013