Montreal Review

manufacturer: Godin date: 01/23/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Godin: Montreal
The whole guitar is made of mahogany except for the fretboard which is 22 frets long and made of rosewood. The body is absolutely stunning with a single cutaway design with a glossy finish on the body.
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Montreal Reviewed by: taylor_158, on january 23, 2009

Features: The specific Godin Montreal I'm reviewing was purchased on Janurary 28, 2008 and was made in Canada (and I believe assembled in the USA. Not sure). The whole guitar is made of mahogany except for the fretboard which is 22 frets long and made of rosewood. I found the body was absolutely stunning with a single cutaway design with a glossy finish on the body. So enough about the looks, let's get talking about what makes this guitar special. Robert Godin seems to really enjoy giving you a lot of bang for your buck. The guitar is equiped with 2 gold humbuckers which not only sound great but both of them can also be used as single coils as well so you get both the humbucker and the single coil sound and of course you get the Standard volume and tone controls. I think that's pretty awesome. The guitar also comes with an acoustic pickup with volume, bass, middle, and treble controls on it. What I found interesting about this guitar is that it has two jacks each performing a different function. One jack is used for just the dual humbuckers while the other jack is a mixture of the acoustic pickup with the dual humbuckers. There is also a blend control between the volume and tone controls which allows to... blend the acoustic and electric pickups. While that may not sound that amazing, it really gives you a huge difference in tones which I'll cover later. One of the neater features is the tuning heads. Instead of stringing your guitar normally you simply thread the string through, tighten the head, and start tuning. This process works very well, keeps the guitar in tune, and is much easier to use then the regular guitar. The guitar came with a gig bag which saddened me a bit. Considering how much of a nice guitar this is, I wish a hard case was included. // 9

Sound: Before I begin, I'd just like to establish that I play a very large mixture of music including: Classic Rock, Jazz, Blues, Folk and just generally old music. I'm also currently playing this guitar with a Limited Edition Fender Red Tex Blues Junior Amp. The guitars sound is definately the best part about it. The multitude of sounds you can get is simple mind blowing. The gold pickups are amazing, the acoustic pickup is fantastic and blend Switch is such a nice touch. You can really get any tone you wish out of this guitar. Although overall I find that the guitar has more of a brighter tone and I haven't found a way to get a good tone for playing metal but if you're buying this guitar to play metal then something is wrong. Overall, the sound is simply amazing. There isn't much to say. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I personally believe the guitar came out of the factory in prestine shap and the action was set up perfectly. But as far as action goes, each to their own. The pickups were nicely adjusted, the brige is set up nicely, and everything was set up great. I've searched the guitar looking for any flaws and I only saw one teeny scratch but that was from someone playing at the store so I'm not going against that. I see no reason to critize this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar is meant to be kept in your house in a way. There's no way it would look this nice otherwise. But if you want to gig with it, the guitar would last the gig easily. It doesn't go out of tune easily and the hardware is very sturdy. Warning: The guitar is heavy. Think Les Paul heavy, but heavier. The finish seams very nice and thick so it should be durable. // 8

Overall Impression: In the end, this guitar was a perfect match for myself because it sounds amazing, plays everything I want, and is just a very high quality guiatar. On a closing note, I ask that you play this guitar and then play a Gibson ES-335. If you can honestly can say you like the Gibson more, then I shake my head at you. // 10

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013