Radiator Review

manufacturer: Godin date: 08/31/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Godin: Radiator
Rock Maple neck; Rosewood or Maple Fingerboard; 12" fingerboard radius; Chambered Silver Leaf Maple body; Low-Noise, Godin-Design single-coil pickups; Volume, Volume, Tone.
 9.3
 9.6
 8.9
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Radiator Reviewed by: Asomodai, on august 06, 2003

Purchased from: Hobgoblin music (Bristol)

Features: By the serial number on the back its made in 1999 like most of the radiators. it has 24 frets, solid top, it has two seperate volume controls for the pickups rather then a selecter Switch to get a great blend of sounds. S/S p/u config Godin custom designed pickups. Passive electronics Chambered Silver Leaf Maple body Solid colour with slight glitter ((pace blue)) It's a Radiator style body :S basically its like a cross between a Telecaster and a les paul but with a gigantic scratch plate Stop tailpeice Godin bridge Gotoh copy tuners seems good enough Fat neck with meduim frets rock maple hand finished neck with rosewood fingerboard Came with a 12 month warranty and a gig bag as standard with all godins // 8

Sound: My musical style is a sort of feeder/acoustic/new wave style of playing, this guitar suits it perfectly, it has zero sustain because behind the gigantic scratchplate, there is hollowed out chambers, and in all it sounds like a cross between a rickinbacker and a Telecaster. Very good on acoustic and phaser/flanger sounds, light distortion is fantastic, just dont expect a metal machine! I'm currently putting it through an old custom sound 100 watt amp with 15inch trucker, and a Boss ME-30 multi effects, it's a very full sound on the neck pickup but the bridge pickup is a little bright for my tastes, it has a very responsive tone control and can have tones that range from dark ((but not muddy)) to jangly and jazzy. because there is no pickup selector and instead there are volume control, you can make a variety of sounds and blend them in. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high (as usual) but most shops will set it up for free. No fret buzz, the neck was straight as an arrow and very very smooth (hand finished). The pickups were adjusted perfectly, although if you tend to palm mute alot, the neck pickup will get in the way. As far as I can see there are absoloutley no flaws in the guitar. Although I have heard from other owners that the control knobs have a tendancy to fall off. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will stand anything, it's rock solid, although as allways I would fit strap locks/washers. Apart from the control knobs it will survive a nuclear war. The finish is extremly good, not a scratch on it, and the varnish is about as thick as a good lincolnshire sausage. I would depends on it definatly. I wouldn't have to gig without a backup because I have a Telecaster handy :) // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 7 months only, I currently own a Vintage Telecaster with a seymour duncan hot rails pickup in the bridge, a custom sound 100 watt amp, and a Boss ME-30 multi effects pedal. I tried this guitar many times before, and the owner knew that one day I would buy it lol. I would defnalty get this guitar again! no question about it, very good value for money and a 24 fret neck thats hand finished and straight as an arrow? damn yeh! I love the looks of the guitar, very fusion/retro, not everyones taste, but this is my opinion! I love the neck, i cant put it down once you pick it up, the only thing i really hate about the guitar is the bridge pickup, but I might get a mini humbucker like on my tele. I compared this guitar to a Fender Telecaster and a Jaguar copy, I chose this one due to the sound quality, the neck and the companys reputation, and also because it's a little different. My little shared advice is, dont look at what the stars use, pick up a guitar and play it, if the shoe fits wear it, if the shoe looks nice but pinches, chuck it :P // 10

Radiator Reviewed by: False_God, on june 28, 2006

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: This guitar was made roughly around 2000 in american tho the parts are of Canadian roots. Rock maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 12" fingerboard radius, 24 3/4" Scale, 1 11/16" nut width with medium frets. Describing the body is sorta hard, the body has a cavity that takes up the body of the guitar and a fibre glass cover which gives it a very unique sound as it is a hollow body, the fibre glass is like a mirror so I can check myself on stage for the ladies. The body is what I like to call a Tele-Paul, it's like a Tele fused with a Les Paul! It has a un-usual bridge that I can't describe. The wiring of each of the Godin single coil pickups with its own volume control makes for a wide range of tones. The tuners are non locking but they a very good. I got a gig bag, strap, cable, picks ect with this. // 10

Sound: I play in 2 band punk and metal and I only use this for the punk band as it suits it beautifully, but when I'm recording with the metal band I use it for the cleans. I run it through a Hughes And Kettner Warp 7 which is a great amp but it doesn't get the full potential outa the Godin. But it's good none the less. Like all single coils at high gain levels a buzz comes but it isnt too bad with the Godin as they are noise less pickups. This guitar varies a lot if I'm using it, I'll belt out Master Of Puppets and some Lamb Of God outa this baby and then play some blues after. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it it was all perfect, setting was not too low and not too high, no flaws of yet, and I hope never will. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since I got it 2 days ago, I have played a 2 hour gig and practised with my band for 4 hours so I think it will witstand a lot of gigs in it lifetime. Well so far the guitar is 6 years old and not a bother with it. I would gig without a backup but usually with my luck, strings always seem to snap so I'm not risking it. The finish looks like it could survive a nuclear bomb so I'm gonna take that risk! // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything and everything and this guitar handles it without trouble. I have played many Fenders but this destroys them all even the high end Fenders. Now if they threw in a humbucker it would be a dream but I'm not that lucky. I love everything about it really, The only thing I hate is that people always check them self out on the body as it's like a mirror. Overall a brilliant guitar for the price. // 10

Radiator Reviewed by: Brigade, on august 31, 2011

Price paid: C$ 230

Purchased from: Kijiji (Like Craigslist)

Features: This guitar was made around 1999, and doesn't really look, or feel like it. It's got 24 frets, which is very cool. As to what body type it is, it's kind of a wierd guitar, it has large resonating chambers carved into the body, covered with something akin to a giant pickguard. I know the neck is made of rock maple, I know - fantastic neck! The body might be made of the same wood too, but I'm not sure. Sorry... The finish? It's like thick blue paint on the body, which has proved to be SUPER thick and tough, only a few little chips in mine, but hey, it's vintage! The neck is a clear, thick finish. To be honest, I like satin more, but it's still an amazing neck. The body's just got one cutaway, and I think it looks great! Not too much like a Les Paul, but it's very comfortable, with those great contours carved in. What type of bridge? Tune-O-Matic, I believe. It's very nice! The electronics are all passive - no batteries to change, so that's all good! As to volume and tone controls, there are two volume knobs - one for each pickup, and one tone. You can squeeze a tonne of sounds out of this axe! The only thing is replicating those sounds... For pickups, two singlecoils, I believe, though you wouldn't know it to play it! This is my most comfortable guitar I own for palm-muting! I'm not sure who made the pickups, but whoever did knew what to do! The tuners are great, again, I'm not sure about the make of the tuners - all I know is I only have to tune the thing once a month! I bought this second-hand, but I'm sure It comes with a gigbag, All Godins do. It's a solid bag, too. // 9

Sound: I play Alt-Rock like Switchfoot, all the way up to hard stuff like Thousand Foot Krutch, Linkin Park - that sort of thing. It suits these things perfectly. It also sounds GREAT for blues, and probably anything else you'd play with it... For an amp, I am still confined to a crappy Fender Bullet, with a Zoom multi-FX pedal, and a Kaoss Pad. The sound this axe makes is very diverse, a little on the brighter side. A light overdrive really brings out the sparkle. For punkier sounds, it would be perfect, as it has that bright edge. Though it doesn't articulate as well as some of my others. This guitar can really do it all. Crunchy, soft and smooth, dark and heavy - anything. The variety still blows my mind. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure, as the to factory setup of this particular guitar, since I got it secondhand, but I did get it set up at Long & Mcquade, and it plays like a dream now. The pickups we ajjusted perfectly, no reason to complain there! As far as how well-asembled this guitar came, it appears to be flawless! I've never noticed anything wrong besides player-induced damage. The only thing I'd say is that the control knobs have a habit of slowly working themselves loose over time. All you have to do is take the knob off, screw the "thing" underneath it back in tight, and pop the knob back on - anybody could do it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is so solid, I would doubt my ability to smash it. Well, I'm pretty sure I could, but I'd still be swingin' by the time the gig was over. The hardware seems very tough. This is a guitar that would survive the zombie apocalipse and come out looking like new. The strap buttons are great - for non-locking buttons. Someday I'll probably swap them out for some Schaller lockers so I don't have to worry about my toes, or my guitar. The only reason I wouldn't gig without a backup for this thing is because I prefer some of my other guitars for different styles of music. But could I depend on it without a backup? HECK YES! I have total Faith in the durability of this thing! No! The finish on this thing would scoff at a flamethrower! It's very tough, and only seems to wear off when the guitar is smashed into another hard something... // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for anybody playing blues, punk, classic rock, alt rock, country... The only thing about this guitar is it's incredibly polarizing looks. I love the looks myself - it's very retro, I think, but not everybody does. I've been playing for around a year now, but, due to my eight years of piano, have advanced far quicker than I suspected I would. Aside from this thing, I play a Godin Freeway Classic (I'll do a review for it too, soon) And a home-made axe that I love. If it was stolen? I'd pity the guy who stole it, and I'd TOTALLY get another one - huge bang for the buck, and I know I'll be playing this one for years to come! What do I love the most about it? Sheesh! No idea... I do sort of wish it had a satin finish on the neck, and maybe a pickup selector. Aside from that - it's perfect! Good job Godin! // 9

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013