Solidac Review

manufacturer: Godin date: 03/17/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Godin: Solidac
The Solidac is the latest Godin model to offer the two-voice concept. It combines the sound of magnetic pickups (electric guitar) with a bridge transducer system for acoustic sounds. This guitar offers players the versatility of a humbucker-single-humbucker pickup configuration along with a transducer-equipped tremolo bridge.
 9.1
 9.4
 8.8
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Solidac Reviewed by: Claptindisciple, on march 17, 2006

Purchased from: Ward Brodt

Features: Mahogony neck, rosewood fingerboard, silver leaf maple body with lightburst quilted leaf maple flametop, 24 jumbo frets, H/S/H magnetics, bridge pickup for acoustic sound, electric and acoustic out, electric and acoustic volume controls & tone, 5-way selector, locking Godin tuners. // 10

Sound: This is a very nice guitar and I am very happy with the sound. It will play anything from blues to metal, but feels and sounds more at home with blues/jazz and classic rock. The bridge pickups produce a wonderful bright acoustic sound and the dual outputs allow you to choose between electric, acoustic, or mix. I love to place classic rock and I am working on my inventory of blues and jazz. This is an ideal guitar for a versatile player who wants a good guitar at a reasonable price. I like the H/S/H magnetics set up, but the single pickup is a little noisey. Overall it produces a nice rich sound on anything from Greenday to blues. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings on this guitar were just so-so and I recently took it back to be tuned up and adjusted. The actionon this guitar is great, although it does have a wide neck which makes for harder solo work, but everything else was very good quality. After I had it adjusted, the string height was excelent and the pickups were correctly positioned. The action of this guitar easily surpasses a Fender or squire and the pickup set-up produces a wide range of tones and styles. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very durable guitar that I would definitely take on a gig without a backup. The finish is very good and does not ware easily (the maple flametop is also very pretty). The strap buttons are solid and the hard ware is good quality. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like this quitar, and it is an excelent match for me. I consider myself a beginner and this is a great instrument to start out on. I do wish that the neck was a little thinner, and that the bridge was aa little different. I love the acoustic features and the magnetics set-up. If it was lost/stolen I would probably cry for a few weeks, then buy it again. It compares well to other name brands despite being an obscure brand itself. Overall I am very happy with this guitar and hope to have it for the rest of my life. // 9

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013