Summit CT Review

8.8
reviews (3) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Summit CT Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2011

Price paid: A$ 1000

Purchased from: The Guitar Store (Malaysia)

Features: Mahogany neck Ebony Fingerboard 16" fingerboard radius 24 3/4 " Scale 1 11/16" nut width Solid Mahogany body Highly figured carved flame maple solid top 2 x Seymour Duncan humbuckers (Alnico 2 neck / '59 bridge) Controls: 5-way switch, 1 x Volume, 1 x Tone, 1 x Godin High-Definition Revoicer Comes with gigbag. I chose gigbag over hardcase so its lighter to carry around. The Godin Summit is an absolute beauty. I got mine in Trans Black. Damn Cool. Its a Les Paul shaped guitar. Well.. a messed up Les Paul but still looks cool. This guitar is quite light. // 10

Sound: I mainly play Rock n Roll and Blues. Things Like Slash, Guns n Roses and AC/DC. This suits it very well. I use a Marhall MG10CD Amp together with my Boss ME-50 and it sounds amazing. The High Definition Revoice turns the pickups active so I get quite a rich creamy sound. This guitar is very versitile. I tried playing some metal stuff aswel and sounds damn good.The ebony fretboard also give a good sound and its easy to move around. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory Setup was Great! It was down tuned but that dosent really matter. The strings are set up perfect. Nothing wrong with it at all. Pickups were all fine nothing. The wood and everything was great. I looked for flaws on the guitar and there is nothing I can find. Its PERFECT! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not played it Live yet but from what I can see it will defenetly withstand live playing and I can't wait to use it live. The strap buttons are great. Nothing wrong. I can defenetly depend on thia guitar without a backup. The Finish would defenetly last for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Rock n Roll and Blues. This is a fantastic looking fantastic sounding guitar. People usualy just buy brand names like Gibson or Epiphone. I tried a Gibson Les Paul Studio and its no where near as good as this and this is cheaper! I would defenetly buy another if it was stolent. The Design and shape is awesome! If you are looking for a quality guitar for a good price you should seriosly consider a Godin Summit. Godin is better than most Epiphones I've tried and low end Gibsons Like the Les Paul Studio. Great Guitar! // 9

Summit CT Reviewed by: whammykid2000, on january 20, 2011

Purchased from: Foulds (Derby)

Features: Godin Summit CTs are made in Canada, at Godin's main base. It's a really awesome guitar, it's crammed with so many features, such as 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers that coil tap into single coils, a HDR Switch (which basically switches the pickups from passive to active, giving you a boost) and a mahogany neck to die for. The mahogany body has a flame maple top, and the shape is quite unique, it isn't really copying anything. It also features a Tune-o-Matic style bridge, Volume and Tone controls, a 5 way Switch (because of the coil tap) and Godin Tuners. It comes with a deluxe gig bag, etc. // 9

Sound: Trust me, this guitar can do anything. It's such a versatile guitar, you can do from Death Metal to Fingerpicking on it. Just plug it straight into an amp and hear smooth and warm cleans, filthy solos, screaming leads, twangy country. You name it, this guitar can do it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it, it had been set up outstandingly. The action was flawless, all the set up was just right. The only flaw was that I've had to send it back to the shop to get it fixed as, due to a manufacturing error, the 12th fret Mother of Pearl inlay was too small for the cavity and has meant it needs a new neck. I'm only giving it a lower score because of that. That aside, outstanding. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is a very hardy guitar. The hardware seems very substantial and hard-wearing. It's a very dependable guitar, I would use it without a backup, it's that good. Even if a string does go, it stays in absolute perfect tune. It features a very thick looking finish, so I don't think it will wear away easily. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd recommend this guitar to anybody, it really is a beautiful piece of kit. When it comes to sound, this axe covers all bases. It's brilliant for me as I play bits and bobs of everything. If it was stolen, I would probably replace it with the same model. I love how you can coax so many sounds out of it yet it's got so much simplicity about it. And I love the HDR switch, it really brings your solos out to the front. It's a shame about it having to get the neck replaced, but these occasional things just happen. Overall, a brilliant quality instrument for your money. Just buy it, i guarantee you won't regret it. // 9

Summit CT Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2011

Price paid: C$ 999

Purchased from: MusicPro

Features: I had a chance to try out a Summit CT at my local music store today. I almost bought it online, but I'm glad I got it in my hands first, because it was a huge disappointment. I'm putting in this review as a warning that it's definitely not going to be for everyone. The features are well documented in the other reviews, but there was a key flaw that no one has mentioned: the placement of the volume knob. If you do heavy palm-muting or strum near the bridge, you will bloody your knuckles on it, guaranteed. Because the Bridge is incredibly low (cool feature) the volume knob is actually taller than the bridge! It is placed just forward of the bridge, and not far enough away that I didn't make contact with it quite often as I was testing the guitar. It actually got quite painful. On that fact alone I couldn't buy it, despite all it's other pros. It killed the guitar, making it unplayable for me. // 1

Sound: The guitar SOUNDS great. I was able to get lots of good tones, although the HDP was disappointing. I was expected more out of it after all the hype. It does NOT bring the sound up to the serious tone of active pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar looked BEAUTIFUL. It had a nicely bookmatched flame burst finish, but the maple they used to top it had a flaw that was symmetrically placed on each half of the body. Some people would call it character. To me it looked like an imperfection. The setup was low and fast, with barely any buzz. I could see a lot of people liking the action a lot. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything on this guitar looked quality, and I would assume that it would hold up well. For a Grand it better be. // 10

Overall Impression: After 17 years of guitar, this is the only guitar I've ever run into (other than $30 pawn shop prize acoustics) that has been literally unplayable to me. In anything other than a seated position, the volume knob placement left me in physical pain. It's possible I could adjust my technique to get around it, but I don't think that it should be necessary. It's just bad ergonomics I've never seen anywhere else. Because of that, I can only give this guitar a middling grade at best. // 6

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013