Triumph Review

reviews (2) pictures (4) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Triumph Reviewed by: MWest, on october 28, 2009

Price paid: C$ 570

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: My Triumph was built in Canada and assembled in the USA in 2008. It comes equiped with a 22 fret Indian Rosewood on Rock Maple neck and Silver Leaf Maple center with poplar wings on the body. It is finished in a gorgeous blue sparkle (other colours include Red, White, and natural mahogany). The body style is a single cut with a fantastically comfortable contour. It hugs you and balances perfectly over the leg. It features a string through body bridge that really brings out the sustain. The three pick-ups are Godin low-noise single coils. They are a lipstick style pick-up with a lot of volume with no annoying Strat-like hum. A 5-way selector enables you to get a variety of sounds (see below). It has a single volume and a single tone control. It came with a lovely soft shell gig bag with lots of pockets and storage spaces. // 8

Sound: I play styles ranging from pop-rock to hard-rock and prog-rock. This guitar lets me get an incredible range of sounds, from classic Beatles Rickenbacker to Carlos Santana PRS to Adrian Belew to Mike Oldfield. It also lets me have a unique sound that is somewhere between a Tele and a Les Paul and a Rickenbacker. It has flavours of all those guitars, but its sound is its own. The guitar is very quiet, even at full volume. The rear pick-up is nice and bright, the center is strong and powerful, and the bridge is clear and full. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect except for the low E which was set a little low. A little tweak with the supplied tools was all that was needed to stop the string from hitting the last few frets. I did not discover any flaws in the guitar in terms of finish, set up, alignment, cut, or fit. No tightening was required for any parts. The selector and nobs were clean and noise free. The quality of the finish is outstanding. It is truly a beautifully made guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do not play Live so I cannot comment on the durability of the guitar. I play and record strictly at home with friends. The finish is nice and thick. It seems quite rock solid all the way around. I have chatted with other Triumph players on MySpace, and they do find the guitar reliable in Live and studio situations. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for someone who plays a lot of different styles. It has a nice jazzy sound that is perfect for pop, hard rock, and prog. It is not an aggressive guitar though. I would not recommend it for metal, very hard rock, or Alt Rock. The guitar is too subtle and complex to really Shine in those situations. For those styles I would choose a heavier Godin like the Summit CT or the LG HB. // 9

Triumph Reviewed by: parkerhatcher, on march 04, 2013

Purchased from: A friend

Features: - 2007 - Rosewood fret board - Blue sparkle finish - 3 low noise single coil pickups - Locking tuners - 5 way selector switch - Sort of a Les Paul cut, but with a Strat like feel. - The pickups are a Godin brand. Got it with a hard case. I gotta say, I've played tons of guitars over the years and this one feels and sounds AMAZING. The pickups have surprisingly rich tone. All three of them are extremely HOT and sound unbelievable. Just because the guitar is sparkly, doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously. Its got serious personality. // 10

Sound: Got it with a hard case. I gotta say, I've played tons of guitars over the years and this one feels and sounds AMAZING. The pickups have surprisingly rich tone. All three of them are extremely HOT and sound unbelievable. The pickups are very quite for single coil. The bridge pickup is bright but not overly bright, the middle pickup is very similar to the neck pickup. The neck pickup is very rich and punchy. You can play just about any style of music with this guitar. I usually play Indie rock and it seems to be perfect, although I like to play hard rock, and metal sometimes. And this guitar would suit that as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is amazing, the playability is way better than I expected it to be. The fretboard is smooth and sits nicely in the hand. The neck is thin, and easy. Just because the guitar is sparkly, doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously. The finish is flashy but extremely pleasant to look at. The guitar seems like a Les Paul/Strat hybrid which is great if you are a fan of either. There were zero noticeable flaws in my guitar. I didn't get this guitar factory so I am not sure how they set it up but the way my friend set it up was great, so you can set it up to your liking easily. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This would be a great guitar to play live, it sounds fantastic. It is extremely versatile. Mine has upgraded locking tuners, I recommend trying that out. I haven't tried the original tuners yet. I would gig with this if I was able to gig! The finish seems to be applied nicely and should last. The strap buttons seem to be fine, I wouldn't worry about them or their ability to keep the strap safely on. I believe that the hardware will last quite a few years, the only concern I have is that the pickups are very close to the strings which would leave them susceptible to scratching, aside from that its nearly perfect. // 9

Overall Impression: Great for rock, indie, metal, clean, dirty, blues. Seems to be good for just about everything. Canadians sure know how to make a good guitar. I have been playing for about 14 years now, and have gone through a lot of guitars. I own Les Pauls, a marauder, a Godin Kingpin Avenue II, a Hofner Verythin, and I go through tons of guitars. This one has seriously impressed me. It's one of the best bolt on guitars I have EVER played. LOVE IT! If you can find one, I recommend you pick it up ASAP and NEVER let it go. Video from YouTube:

// 10

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013