Velocity Review

manufacturer: Godin date: 10/27/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Godin: Velocity
The Godin Velocity features a double-horned body, comprised of a silver leaf maple center with poplar wings and a gorgeous natural, solid high-flame maple top, unique to each guitar.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 8.4
 9.4
 7.3
reviews (3) pictures (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Velocity Reviewed by: anders.blomberg, on april 25, 2011

Features: SSH pickups, Rosewood fretboard, active/passive switch, trem, 21 frets, one volume- one tone control. How on earth do you rate features on a guitar? Depends on the player. Only issue is that of the single coils not being noiseless. Have to use a noise gate with it. Came with a Godin gigbag of poor quality though. Had it changed but they just rip apart after some months of use. // 8

Sound: Use it with a Mesa Rect-O-Verb at home/at band gigs a.s.f. In the jazz band I use a Roland Jazz Chorus. Sounds awesome. I usually use a clean channel and one heavily distorted. If I need lighter crunch I just roll off the volume. Works like a charm. Sounds a lot more twangy than my ESP eclipse (well, it's got single coils after all). But warmer then a typical strat. The humbucker provides some real fat tones if needed for the metal stuff. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: All good. I adjusted the truss rod because the strings where way to high for my taste. Suppose it would have suited some though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: No issues after two years. I'm not a traveling musician though. // 10

Overall Impression: It's real good for the Hendrix type of playing, got some good space between strings which I feel is good for that kind of dirty playing, and using the thumb on the low E. The sound is warmer then the Hendrix stuff though, but it's still got that single coil twang to it. Suits me well. For tighter stuff, like some metal and jazz I prefer to use my ESP eclipse. I feel the Velocity is way more "alive" though, possibly that's because of the single coils. Simply makes it more fun to play. The guitar is nice to play, stays decently in tune (when not using the trem), sounds good (if you've got the chops) and is good enough looking. I've been playing for about 15 years, not professionally, but really seriously. Have gone though a bunch of different gear, but this is my first guitar with single coils. // 9

Velocity Reviewed by: HyperMuseic, on april 15, 2011

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: This guitar was made in USA from parts from Quebec, Canada. 22 Frets with Indian Rosewood Fingerboard. It is Laminated top. This guitar has Rock Maple for Neck. Silver leaf maple center with poplar wings and comes with 3 finishes. Natural Flame HG, Natural Burst Flame HG & Amber Flame HG (mine is Burst). The body is Double horned with a Vintage bridge(Strat) and with Godin H.D.R. high definition revoicer that makes all your pickups go active to passive with a button. The controls are tone, volume, 5-way pickup Switch and the H.D.R. the config. is S-S-H (2 GS-1 single coil and 1 Sh-5 Seymour Duncan Custom Humbucker(bridge). This guitar came with a nice solid looking gig bag and 2 Allen keys for Truss rod and the Bridge for action. // 10

Sound: I mostly play Muse, Travis, Rage against the Machine and the Peppers and for me, this guitar sounds great. I've tried a Ibanez S420 and returned it and got this one and this is extremely comfortable to play. I've blocked my Tremolo because it really doesn't stay in tune but that's fine, cause of the Vintage trems. The way you set your pups, tone and volume, you can create millions for sounds. Currently I am using a Line 6 Spider IV 15W amp and its pretty awesome. My pickup is REALLY HOT (I think) and I can't really get a clean sound(might be the amp) but if I just lower the volume, it sets up fine. Just the right amount of both bass and treble that make this guitar just fantastic. Great tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar from the Wall of guitars in long and its been there for about 1 year and the action was perfectly set. NO fret buzz at all and even little at dropped A tuning. The pickups were fine but I re-adjusted for my likes so its good. The Quality of this guitar is AMAZING. Godin should be more recognized by the world! No flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand tons for torture. Very solid guitar. I clean my guitar every time I play so yes, the hardware will last a long time. You can always customize your guitar. The strap buttons are very solid. Like I said, the quality is awesome. I sure will depend on it but always, have a backup! The finish is still shining and I can see my face clearly! // 10

Overall Impression: This is my second guitar (first was Yamaha EG112 from a friend) and the guitar is absolutely ah-mazing. I play A LOT of Muse and this guitar suits me perfectly and all the other bands I've listed. I own one Pedal, the Boss DD-3 delay and it works great with it. I've been playing for 5-6 months now and had this guitar for 4 Months. I'm getting better everyday. If this was stolen, I would be sad first, and start tracing for the thief, and get him to my basement, look up one of the ancient torture methods and try them (I'm not actually that violent :D) I would buy it again but my parent are very strict! I love the finish, sound, playability and the SHAPE! I simply love the design and when I get famous, I will endorse Godin! I always wanted to be different, and since everyone has a Fender or ibanez, I would be unique, and it is worth it! After I get good grades, I would buy another Godin for the Rose, the Godin Freeway Floyd. (love the black finish) // 10

Velocity Reviewed by: Chris Schementi, on october 27, 2011

Purchased from: Local Shop

Features: The Godin Velocity is a well-versed HSS superstrat with tricks up its sleeve. There aren't enough reviews around, so I thought I could give some good information. Firstly this guitar is made from woods crafted in Canada, then assembled in the USA (New Hampshire I believe). The neck and fretboard are from silver leaf maple (comes in Indian Rosewood as well), and the body is silver leaf maple with poplar wings. The top in nicely flamed and goes really well with the sunburst I got. Finish is impeccable, even in the body cavities. The neck dimensions, headstock configuration, and the Vintage Tremolo are all just like a Strat. 22 medium jumbo frets, C-type neck profile, and synchronized tremolo. The pickups are in HSS configuration consisting of 2 Godin GS-1 single coils and a Seymour Duncan Custom hum bucker in the bridge. Standard volume, tone and 5 way switch are there, but with a small button next to the tone knob - the HDR or High Definition Revoicer. This switch when activated changes the pickups from passive to active. It's an extremely useful tool, which I will discuss more later. The only thing I would have liked to have are locking tuners, but haven't needed them as it all stays in tune quite well. Came with a nice gig bag with many pockets and good construction. These are all of the features I'll ever need. // 9

Sound: I'm playing this through a Bogner Alchemist 212 tube combo. Immediately I could tell the difference in woods from my mahogany-bodied guitar I had before this. Great attack and note articulation (good for my tastes), but not too bright even on the single coils. Cleans shimmered in the various positions. Treble was pronounced but low frequency undertones balanced out. Picking dynamics and phasing between pickups (in the 2 and 4 positions on the 5 way switch) are clearly evident, perfect for my blues runs. What really pleased me was that whether using the humbucker, single coils, or anything in between, the output is constant. No drop in volume and no crackling using the knobs or pickup switch. Engaging the HDR gives an increase in volume, but with rich harmonics. Noise increases slightly; not bothersome at all though. Singles twang more, and sustain increases on the humbucker. It's almost like a clean boost, but with more harmonic content. Switching to the dirty channel, I get my David Gilmour sound I love. Playing "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is unreal, using the neck pickup and the HDR for a little more grit. This is with gain low enough to overdrive but nowhere near Van Halen territory. The Duncan Custom is great too. With this level of distortion, I get a beautiful expressive articulation almost spot on with Allen Hind's "Falling Up" (look for Bogner Alchemist demos on YouTube and look at his performance). For more gain, I overdrive with a Fulltone OCD on top of the previous dirt settings. Humbucker=Van Halen. Great hard rock power but not overbearing. Rolling off the tone knob give a full sound closer to Satriani in his "Crystal Planet" days. The single coils still come through with this much gain, and can hold their own with the Duncan. The Godin GS-1 pickups are designed with more of a midrange peak, while their GS-2 singles, found on the Progression model, are typical scooped Strat sounding. However, they are not noiseless, but I haven't reached a level of noise that affects my playing. The HDR increases this noise, especially in the 1, 3, 4 positions. With the HDR on this gain setting, the humbucker can get a little too harsh on the treble, but there is definitely more gain. In passive mode there is less gain but the miss and bass are balanced with the treble again. So the tonal Spectrum of this guitar is quite wide, just don't expect to play too much metal. Most wouldn't but this guitar for metal anyway. This is a great versatile instrument the covers all of the genres I play, including blues, jazz, classic and hard rock. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup when I got the guitar was quite good, but the tremolo was locked down super tight. I guess they want to keep it as stable as possible during shipping and storage. However I don't care how it's set up before, because I like to do that myself anyway. It's how I get to know and understand my instrument and adds to the fun of playing guitar for me. Frets are flush with the neck, neck joint is nice and tight, and components are installed perfectly. The nut is cut very well too, something cheaper guitars do not have. Even the electronics cavity is finished well. Nice shielding all around. To make it even better the guitar just looks all out sexy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The build quality is top-notch, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. I have not heard one bad thing about the quality and durability of any Godin. After a year of constant abuse the guitar plays and feels brand new. When set right the tremolo (which I float) stays in tune with even a lot of use. No electronics issues at all. The HDR, pots, and switches are all in working order. One thing I should mention is that I bought this guitar USED. The owner before me had it for a few years. While he took great care of it (the only signs of previous ownership was some tiny scratches in the finish where the pick hit the body while strumming), I'm very happy that the guitar has performed this well. This is definitely a gigging guitar; road worthy. // 10

Overall Impression: I've played many guitars and this is one of the best. If only we had the technology to make a carbon fiber fretboard (like on Parker Fly's) look like maple of rosewood fingerboards. But I dream. Still, it plays extremely well. For the price, I say it's unbeatable. I honestly can't find any significant faults with this guitar. In fact the only reason I'm giving it a 9 is because there are guitars much more expensive and I'm sure there other guitars that play better. But for me, in this price range and playability, its an 11. // 9

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ SD 8.5 Electric Guitars 06/06/2013