GLP100 Review

manufacturer: Gould date: 08/19/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Gould: GLP100
This guitar comes with all the Standard Les Paul features.
 7.7
 8.2
 7.1
review (1) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
GLP100 Reviewed by: GaryBillington, on august 19, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar comes with all the Standard Les Paul features. Mine has a sunburst finish which does a great job of showing off the flamed wood. The usual LP setup of 2 humbuckers controlled by a rhythm/treble selector and 2 volume & 2 tone controllers is all there in the right places and works flawlessly. The maple neck is just the right thinkness and plays very smoothly. As I purchased 2nd hand I'm not totally sure when it was made, but I don't think it's very old - perhaps a year or two at most. Everything feels pretty solid and nicely worn in, rather than worn out. // 8

Sound: I play mostly rock music, my main influences are Slash & Billy Duffy, so this guitar suits me perfectly. I'm using it with a Marshall AVT100 amp and it gets a great sound on all 3 channels. There is no unwanted noise on any setting, the volume & tone knobs provide a smooth transition from quiet to loud, although the transition from absolute silence to quiet is a bit "all at once", as is often the case on any guitar. Both pickups make some great noises when played through the clean & crunch channels of my amp, the only slight downfall in this area is that when playing rhythm guitar through the distortion channel using the neck pickup it doesn't sound perfect - can't quite put my finger on what is wrong, but it's not quite as good as some of my other guitars. Playing lead in that setup is fine, and I've not found any reason to fault the Bridge pickup in any situation. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't comment on factory setup as I purchased second hand, but when I bought it everything was just as I like it. It's one of the few times I've bought a guitar and not had to make any changes at all. That either means the factory setup was good, or the person I bought it from likes things just the way I do. I'm guessing it's the first option. There are no obvious flaws in the guitar, everything seems to be made of quality material. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not in a band at the moment, but when I do next join one, this will be one of the main guitars I use for both rehearsals and gigs. I would never go without a backup, but I doubt I'd need it for anything more than a broken string. This guitar is well built and I can't imagine anything that will go wrong with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I've owned both Gibsons and Epiphones in the past, and while Gould obviously aren't up to the standards of a full-on Gibson, I prefer this to any Epiphone I've played. Considering that the RRP for this guitar is only 150, making it less than half the cost of the equivalent Epiphone, this guitar is an excellent purchase. In fact, the price almost makes me prefer it to the Gibson I used to own as I'm not worried about dropping this one so I'm more relaxed when I play it! The usual deciding factor in these reviews is the question "If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else?". I don't intend to wait until it gets stolen or lost, I'm already watching out for another one on ebay and will be buying a second GLP100 as soon as possible. // 9

More Gould reviews rating category latest review
+ ST 6.9 Electric Guitars 08/23/2011