AV3 Review

7.9
 7.6
reviews (2) pictures (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
AV3 Reviewed by: usetheforce93, on july 29, 2010

Purchased from: pro concert tupelo mississippi

Features: I bought this in 2010, I don't know when it was made. 22 frets with rosewood fretboard, mahogany body, flamed maple top, tunomatic bridge, 2 humbucker pickups, 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, 3 way toggle, set neck, crown inlays, and grover tuners. It has a les paul body style, and has pretty much all the same stuff, like pickups, bridge, ect. // 8

Sound: I play all kinds of music, from rockabilly, to clean rock like red hot chilli peppers, to heavily distorted metal like slayer, and metallica. I am using a small Ibanez amp like a 20 watt or something. It has a very deep, warm, rich tone. Love the deep heavy sound with metal. When you put it on rythm, and turn the gain up, and hit a low power chord it makes a really rich deep sound it is just great. You would have to hear it. Overall the sound is great for anything, but I really appreciate the rich metal crunch most of all. Compared to most guitars I have heard it is at the top. My dad has an 82 ibanez, which cost about $500 back in the day and it is just about even with this. When clean it sounds like it would be a heavenly blues guitar, but I'm not 100% sure because I don't play blues. I have a trained ear, and I would say it is one of the best sounding I have ever played. This guitar sounds great for mostly any music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is a brown with a slight red tint. It has a flamed maple top, which I love. The action is low which I like, but my high e string buzzes a little against the first fret, but nowhere else. I might say the nut is a little low, but think this can be fixed with a small ajustment, and shouldn't be a problem. The 3 way toggle, is very firm, and feels well constructed. The knobs are good as well. The brigh is a tunomatic, and looks identical to the ones on les pauls. It works great. The grover tuners are firm as well, and it stays in tune well, and I have it in Standard or drop d most of the time. Pickups were also good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only had it for a week so I can tell much yet, but I did hit the head stock against a metal edge on a fold out bed. It has a tiny nic that you can just feel with your finger, but the finish stayed intact. The hardware feels very solid, and I expect it to last. I usually play sitting down so I don't know if the strap buttons are good but the look sturdy. The finish seems somewhat thick and durable. I haven't had it long enough to be 100% on durability, but it seems very solid for now. // 8

Overall Impression: It fits all the styles I play which is usually clean or distorted. I hav been playing for about a year. I play my dads ibanez, and my sg, and my Fender acoustic/electric. My only regret is not spending another 100 for a hard case, because the finish is beautiful, and I want it to stay that way. If it were stolen I would buy it again, depending on how much money I was willing to spend. The thing I love about it is the les paul body style, when I walked in the store I thought it was a les paul, and almost didn't look at it because I assumed it would cost 1000 dollars. Also the thing I love is the sound. It sounds great and I was very impressed when I played it in the store. I comper it to my dads Ibanez which is an amazing sounding guitar, they have different sounds, but they are of equal quality. The only thing I wish it had was neck through construction, but a set neck is still pretty good, and in my opinion is better than a bolt on. // 10

AV3 Reviewed by: LeoKisomma, on february 27, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This is a 22-fret guitar with a rosewood fingerboard and a mahogany body. It features separate volume and tone controls for each pickup, a flamed maple top and grover tuners, which to me are definitely a step up from Gibson or Fender standard tuners. Both the bridge and Neck pickups are humbuckers. Bridge is fixed. On the whole this is what you'd call a 'standard' guitar. Not much to brag about, but then again there's not much to go wrong either. The neck feels really good to play in comparison with some Les Paul models I have used before. // 7

Sound: Well, I would say that this guitar is definitely not built for the styles that I currently play. The reason for this is that the pickups have a very low output compared to my other guitars, so it's almost useless if you are playing any genre of metal past the 70's. However, it does hold it's own as a blues style guitar with some nice mid-range tones. I play various types of music, so this guitar can't handle the variety I get with the pickups it currently has, but it does come close. I sometimes get some unwanted squeal from the pickups but I'm almost 100% sure that's due to damage that I've inflicted on it. I have played it through various amps from various makers, but I would still say that this is a guitar for more 'mellow' players. If you want to use this guitar for rock, then switch the pickups for something more powerful as soon as possible. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came used, but it came feeling very nice to play. I don't see any real problems apart from having to adjust the truss rod now and again, but that's a fact of guitar life if you live somewhere with unpredictable weather, like England. Controls all seem nicely fitted, and apart from a problem I experienced with the strap-button falling off (which in fairness was probably due to me accidentally banging it on a wall once), I haven't had any major problems. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Could I use this guitar live? Probably not, as the pickups have become faulty for some reason so they just squeal endlessly under gain. So that's a few points off for hardware longevity. I already mentioned that I have had one strap button fall off, but like I said that was my fault. The finish, I will say, is very well lasting. Because I was a scruffy little kid when I got this, there was practically nothing that I didn't bang it on, but the finish seems to have held up quite well all things considered. // 7

Overall Impression: On the whole I feel that this is one step short of being a good guitar, and that's because the pickups just don't have enough grunt for me, and while it's true that it feels good to play and tunes well, that's not going to help me at a gig if it sounds bad. I would recommend that for this price you could get a stock Ibanez RG, probably various RG models for this price, and they would play a lot better than this, and you could get one with a tremolo system installed if you wanted it. To me this guitar seems like the kind of thing you'd get if you wanted to alter a guitar yourself, and after 3 years of having it I can safely say there are far better things out there for the same price. // 6

More Greg Bennett reviews rating category latest review