TR2 Review

review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
TR2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2012

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: House of Music BV

Features: - Made in Indonesia. - 22 fret, 24 " scale, looks like a "flat" u shaped neck, fits quite well even though I have relatively large hands. - Rosewood fretboard, frets play well (12") - Mahogany body and neck, SG style. - Duncan Designed (copy) pickups, give a decent tone imo. - It's hard to get this out of tune after the strings are worn, have to bend ALOT. - You have a separate volume/tone button for each pickup and can select neck, bridge or both. // 8

Sound: I practice alot of different styles, blues/jazz/rock and it seems to fit blues (Clapton/SRV/B.B. King) the best, but you can play even shreds with it. The sound is rich, not really bright. Using it with a Bugera V5. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was poor from the factory, so were the pickup adjustments, but the shop owner gave it a good setup and some fresh strings and it plays wonderful. Seemed the finishing is just fine, got the guitar for a year now and still in mint condition. The jack-in opening was loose though, but the owner saw that and fixed that as well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I did some live playing with friends, but not for long and it was not on a big stage, just a small podium. Guitar stayed in tune, sounded decent. Only have the guitar for a year but it still plays as well as it did when I just got it. Straps are locked in tight, you can pick your angle, there are two straps on the back. // 8

Overall Impression: I play for 2 years now, have an acoustic and this is my first electric. Tried several other brands before buying this and since its my first electric I decided to go for a B brand guitar, mainly to play bluesy music. In the end I'm happy I could play all sorts of styles. If it would get stolen I'd save up money and buy a Fender. I love the low action, I can just glide through the frets, does not get out of tune fast and the design is catchy. Also like the fact that the jack in is besides the volume button, that way I can use an L-plug and don't have to worry about anything sticking out of my guitar. Pinch harmonics/squealies are hard to perform, even when raising the action, compared to other guitars I've tried it on though. I also miss the bright sound single coil pickups produce (at least on the ones I've tried recently). In the end I'm happy I picked this guitar as my first electric, its a good starting guitar. I picked this one because of the looks and the playability back then it just felt so right. Still does, even after trying out Gibsons/Fenders it still isn't too bad going back to the TR2, the Gibson Midtown even felt/sounded worse, but I'm a noob so.

// 9