6122JR Review

manufacturer: Gretsch date: 05/04/2004 category: Electric Guitars
Gretsch: 6122JR
Fretboard: Ebony, Neck: Maple, Body: Maple, Pickups: Dual high sensitive FiltertronTM adjustable pickups, Controls: Tone, Volume, pickup slector, Make: U.S.A.
 9.3
 8.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
6122JR Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2004

Features: Okay, I got to admit, my certain guitar has a little problem in this area. The top strap button came loose, but that happens to me with every guitar I own. I guess it's the way I play or something, I don't know. It's got a great finish, though, and it still lives if I forget to polish it. I guess it is as tough as a lightweight hollowbody can be, slamming it around is not a good idea for any guitar of its class. The hardware is solid, and other than the strap button problem it's pretty durable. // 8

Sound: This guitar may be a junior to other Gretsch's in size, but it is definitly any guitar's match in sound. The Filtertron pickups do an amazing job of conjuring that sublime, rich sound that Gretsch has come to be associated with. The clean is this guitar's best quality, and I doubt that there are many guitars that could compete with it there. The distortion is not as heavy as some would want with a metal or hard rock band, but covers everything else. It can produce a jazzy twang, or a grunge crunch in overdrive that I have come to appreciate. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, jazz, alternative rock, grunge, metal and classical. This guitar fits my style as long as I'm not playing one of our heaviest songs. When it comes to clean, none of my other guitars are a match, so bleh. I'm not that experienced, only been playing since I was 13, but I know when a guitar sounds good. When I was deciding on what to buy, I was confronted with the 122JR, the Gibson es335, and a Schecter c-1 hollowbody. Well, it wasn't hard to make up my mind after plugging them in, I fell in love with the size, the smooth neck, and most of all the sound immediately. // 10

More Gretsch reviews rating category latest review
+ G5434 Electromatic Pro Jet 6.8 Electric Guitars 09/29/2014