G1616 Sparkle Jet Review

manufacturer: Gretsch date: 05/05/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Gretsch: G1616 Sparkle Jet
Finished in stunning Silver Sparkle, the Sparkle Jet features a semi-hollow body, two chrome humbucker pickups, a maple bolt-on neck with rosewood fingerboard, a chrome plated wraparound bridge, one volume and two tone control, a 3 way pickup selector, and die cast tuners.
 9.8
 9.8
 9.7
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
G1616 Sparkle Jet Reviewed by: Metallica12_12, on december 17, 2004

Purchased from: Blue Water Music Salmon Arm BC

Features: This guitar was made in 2003 in Korea. Maple bolt-on neck with rosewood fingerboard. It's a 24-3/4" fretboard with 22 frets. This is a visually stunning guitar due to its silver flake finish. It has a sinlge cut away body shaped somewhat like a Les Paul. The Wrap Around Tailpiece bridge looks nice on the guitar and also hasn't come out of tune yet. Comes with passive electronics. This guitar has a 3 way toggle, 1 master volume and 2 Tone controlls. I don't know the modles of the pickups but they are 2 chrome humbuckers, also has non locking die cast tuners. // 8

Sound: This guitar has been able to play any style of music, it was in sort of a strange pick when I got a semi hollow body and yet I play mostly metal, but when I tried it out I was hooked. It plays well clean as well, it has a nice rich tone when played clean and its sound just as good distorted. I only have a Kustom 16R solo (30 watts) but I've played it on my cousins Peavy 5150 stack and it sounds really good on both. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came ready to go from the factory the action is good pickups are good, everything was amazing well made and well set up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a guitar made to play live. Any colour of light that shines on this guitar changes the colour of the guitar. They hardware doesn't have any problems and seems like it will last for a lifetime. The strap buttons are about the best I've seen. This is the kind of guitar that you can depend on. I would take it to woodstock and play it there without a backup. The finish is solid and won't come off any time soon. // 10

Overall Impression: Mostly I play metal which is why I think that this guitar is a strange match for me but it is the kind of guitar that can play anything. I've only been playing for over a year so my gear is limited to my 3 guitars and my amp. I have a Fender Strat, my Gretsch and a Yamaha G-55-1 classical accustic. My only amp is my Kustom 16R solo. I would buy this guitar again if it was stolen because it can just play anything. I love the finish on it I mean it plays really well but the finish on it is amazing. I compared it to a Gibson SG 66, a Fender Tele and a bunch of Epiphone modles, but for it's price it was just way better then all of them. I love it. // 10

G1616 Sparkle Jet Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2005

Purchased from: scarborough music

Features: I have a 1962 Sparkle Malcolm Young edition Gretsch but not an option on the choser thingy. It's made in good old Nashville, Tennesee. I find the neck to be a little thick but all in all very very good. I have dual Filtertron pickups on mine and two humbuckers. Unfortunatle my pickups are passive but I would love to through the two EMG 81-81 combo on there it would be nuts. I get 1 volume and two tone simply becuase of the price they threw in a gig bag for me. // 10

Sound: It's a really odd match considering I play hard rock metal and death metal but the sound out of the guitar is so awsome you can play anything you want on it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first bought my guitar it was a thing of beauty and still is but after on gig one of my dual pickups just died on me. But Gretsch was really good about it and repaired it for free. // 10

Reliability & Durability: When I played live it was absolutly awesome to use. It's good on solos but can be tricky while doing some good stage presence becuase the neck is so thick. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said I play metal hard rock and death metal. I use my 1962 Gretsch into my Marshall DFX50 amp. I use the Metal Zone MT-2, Eric Clapton Crossroads, Boss Power Driver PW-2 and the Dunlop 535Q Crybaby with it and it suits all my needs quite perfectly. If you play any bolues like Clapton or even Floyd use a Gretsch it gives you the perfect sound and tone you will ever need. // 10

More Gretsch reviews rating category latest review
+ G5438T Electromatic Pro Jet 8.8 Electric Guitars 06/17/2013