G5135 Corvette Review

8.5
review (1) pictures (3) 25 comments vote for this gear:
G5135 Corvette Reviewed by: whatbox!!!, on may 27, 2010

Purchased from: Guitars ect

Features: These are the features stright from Musicians friend Solid mahogany body Mahogany neck (24.6" scale) Rosewood fingerboard 21 medium jumbo frets Bone nut (1-11/16" wide) Vintage style machine heads Dual Mega'Tron pickups 1 tone 2 Volume G-arrow knobs Anchored Adjusto-matic bridge Bigsby B50 vibrato tailpiece Gretsch knurled strap knobs Chrome hardware // 9

Sound: I boght this guitar mostly for Indie rock as well as punk and blues. I've tried playing numerous other styles with it and I found only two that it doesn't do wel in Metal(the pickups generate too much noise and have too much midrange) and Jazz (pickups are overly twangy) but when your buying a Gretsch your buying it for that Gretsch sound which is one of a kind. The bridge pickup has plenty of twang for country afficianados and I found that the neck pickup has plenty of meat for most rock playing. The magic setting though is right in the middle where you get the best of both worlds. I put this in to the crunch channel of my Bugera and was amazed. Normally with my SG I hate that channel but this guitar makes it rock // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar set up almost as soon as I got it but according to the tech who did it he barely had to do anything. The ony problem was that the bigsby needed to be re secured and that the pickguard doesn't quite fit. I'm going to chalk these up as flukes though. One thing I must mention in this section though is how comfortable this guitar is its incredibly light and is contoured so that it fitts very nicely to my body where I have it adjusted. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this guitar too long just under a year but beyond the initial needing for the bigsby to be resecured I've had no problems with it. The strap locks on this are very solid although with the bigsby I wouldn't reccomend doing anything crazy with it. I've had no problems with the finish. Also the tuners despite being non locking stay in tune very well despite the bigsby. Its only when I do extreme bar dives that I get any trouble. I always gig with a back up guitar in case of string breaks but I wouldn't be at all nervous playing with just this. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm in love with this guitar I'll be honest I get a joy playing it. Its unique it plays great I've had no real trouble with it if it were stolen I would hunt down and destroy whoever the hell took it then buy another anyway. In all seriousness though this is a great guitar for any one to have in their aresenal. // 9

More Gretsch reviews rating category latest review
+ G5434 Electromatic Pro Jet 8.6 Electric Guitars 09/29/2014