G5235T Pro Jet Review

manufacturer: Gretsch date: 06/26/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Gretsch: G5235T Pro Jet
With its chambered mahogany body with set-in mahogany neck, dual Gretsch mini-humbuckers, and Bigsby B50 Vibrato tailpiece, the Pro Jet definitely breaks the sound barrier!
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
G5235T Pro Jet Reviewed by: doublejayy2k, on june 26, 2007

Features: The Pro Jet is American Designed (but made in China) with incredible quality and looks. It's got a Rosewood Fretboard with 22 frets and "thumbnail" fret markers, which are very cool and unique. The body is Mahogany, as is the set-in neck, but the top is solid maple. As for hardware, it's outfitted with 2 Gretsch Mini-humbuckers, an Adjusto-Matic bridge, and a slick Bigsby vibrato tailpiece. The electronics are solid, with single volume and tone knobs, and a 3 way pickup Switch. The tuners are nothing special, but hold a tune well, even with the tremolo (I will probably install locking tuners however). Guitar Center didn't include any accessories, and the accessory hardshell case seems very expensive ($220). // 8

Sound: I was looking for a guitar with a moving, clear, and sparkeling clean tone. I tried a Gibson SG Faded 3-Humbucker first (just becuause I love SG's) and wasn't impressed. I picked up the Gretsch out of curiosity, and was blown away. The sound is very clear and crisp, tune down the tone knob a bit and it becomes a refreshingly thick and warm tone, very jazz capable. Turn on the overdrive and the mini-humbuckers will blow you away with a roar unlike anything I've ever heard. Combine it with a Marshall Amp(like I have) and you get a very unique jet-like roar. It's not a hard-rock guitar, but for a great clean tone, and a very satisfying overdriven roar, it's great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well enough from the factory, but I would definately recommend a pro setup. The pickups were well set, and the knobs and tuners were well mounted. All the electronics and switches work perfectly, and look amazing with their chrome finish. The guitar is very well finished, with a stunning black, almost piano like, finish and a strip of cream binding along the neck and body. The "thumbnail" style fretmarkers are very unique and stylish, and give the fretboard a very slick, almost unfinished look. The pearl pickguard sets it off very nicely. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Everything is very solid on this rig. The finish is solid and wears very well. The strap buttons are large and very sturdy. Everything is chromed or die-cast for a stunning appearance and lasting quality. I have no doubts about being able to play it during a full night of gigs. I'll be hanging onto this guitar for a long time! // 10

Overall Impression: It's a tough, durable, great sounding, and visually stunning instrument for sure. I was looking for a rig to replace my hot-rodded SG so I could start playing more jazz, and this rig fit the bill. Best of all, the price was low enough so that I could keep my old SG! It's such an excellent guitar, I look forward to playing it for years. It is perfect for what I bought it for, clear and sparkeling clean tone, and the overdriven roar is an added plus for sure. If it was lost, I'd would absolutely buy another, if not the electromatic version, then the American made version. Again, an astonishing piece of equipment, if only it had a hardshell case. // 10

More Gretsch reviews rating category latest review
+ G5434 Electromatic Pro Jet 8.6 Electric Guitars 09/29/2014