S60 Review

manufacturer: Guild date: 07/27/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Guild: S60
Mahogany body. Rosewood fret board. Late 70s. U.S.A made. Unusual body style.
 9.1
 8.1
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
S60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 27, 2009

Features: Mahogany body. Rosewood fret board. Late 70s. U.S.A made. Unusual body style. (I think Patrick E. guitars from England are derived from the s60. I would never compare it to a Strat body. Say it has an axe shape... Not crazy about the clunky upper horn... Interesting uniquely shaped heavy bridge. Flawless thin neck. My guitar had a one humbucker. (Some had DiMarzio humbuckers and others, three single coils pickups.) I installed a Pearly Gates because the original was microphonic and I didn't know how to wax pot it (I won't tell the horrors I inflicted on it trying... I still have the pieces of the original pick up, though...) I installed a Fender TBX. I asked a friend to put a push pull pot as a coil tap buthe instead wired it in phase and out of phase. Oh, and he wired the volume pot backward! I've kept it that way for over six years to remind myself of him. // 10

Sound: I use a Fender Studio Bass tube amp, a Fender Stage amp from the late 80s, a Danelectro Dirty Thirty, three old Gibson RVT tube amps, a Kalamazoo Model Two, a Newcomb tube amp, Emerald Echo, a Johnson J Station, Pro Co Rat, lots of Dano pedals, It is never nosiy. It makes rock and roll and blues sounds. THe neck is wide and narrow enough it is very comfortable for finger picking. One of these days I am going to have the original pickup put back together and reinstall it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is a 70s wine reddish over a mahogany body. Set neck. I can actually finger pick on it better than on any other of my electric guitars. I did put a pearly white pick guard on it, and put MOP knobs on the tuners. Action set up is very low. Lots of compliments from guitar store employees when they play it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very well built. It is very reliable. Its been accidentally dropped on the floor and was still in tune. Of the two dozen guitars I own, I would place this above my five Strats, and two Teles, and even my Rickenbacker. Only my Epi Genesis and Epiphone ET 270 compare. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and roll. Some blues, a tiny bit of jazz, with country and surf creeping in. I have been playing off and on since I recieved my first guitar when I was 15, an Airline Reso body Eastwood is now copying. I appreciate the integrity of the instrument, from craftsmanship to uniqueness of the body. I regret that I didn't buy another one, with three single coils, when I bought mine in the late 80s. Value is increasing and I can't afford the current going prices. I would be very disturbed if something happened to my Guild s60. I regard it as nearly irreplaceable. I like it better than my Strats, Teles and Rickenbacker. It is a musician's tool. // 10

More Guild reviews rating category latest review
+ D-125 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 04/07/2014