F20T Review

manufacturer: Hagstrom date: 04/15/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Hagstrom: F20T
Contoured basswood body and North American hard maple bolt-on neck featuring Hagstrom's patented anti-twist H-Expander truss rod, reintroduced after 23 years. This Hagstrom F-20 electric guitar is one of the best values we've seen in a 24-3/4" scale, double-humbucker instrument. Full-contact tremolo, Resinator fretboard, and 3-way pickup toggle switch.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.5
 8.2
 8.7
reviews (2) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
F20T Reviewed by: p3rs0n42, on april 02, 2008

Purchased from: Ron's Music

Features: Perhaps not one of the best known guitar makes, but they churn out some fantastic guitars. One of which was my Christmas 2007 present, the F20T. It is something of an advancement from entry level, something between entry level and intermediate skill levels, though it is of extremely good quality and could be used at any gig with the crowd still begging for more. Mine came perfectly set up, with a comfortable action and I even got a quick lesson on the effects that the tone and volume can have (but that was a personal thing from the shop owner, since I seemed like a nice guy I suppose. // 8

Sound: I tend to play metal music of all varieties, from thrash metal to death metal, and this guitar copes. It doesn't specifically suited to one type of music, it's kinda like a Strat: performs to adequate standards with almost any type of music; however this performs better than adequate. I have tried a bit of punk rock and even some accoustic-ish style riffs and the F20T's pickups deliver fantastic sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I couldn't have asked for this guitar to be better when I got it. The action was just perfect, slightly lower than on the Strat, but not so low that it causes any type of buzz from nearby frets. The pickups are just superb! every single note is picked up by these. They are a thing of God, they are just biblically good. As for the finish, this is where the tiniest problem occurs; on the pickguard, there was a scratch, tiny little scratch, when I got it. But I really didn't care, this was the best guitar I've held in my hands and a tiny little scratch wasn't gonna stop me gettin it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will stand up to live playing like I stand up full stop. Tough as hell, can take a knock or two, and has never had any problems so far as reliability is concerned. It's because of that, that I wouldn't use it Live with no back up. Not that I don't trust the guitar, just that I would never gig without a backup anyway, but if nothing's gone wrong yet, When it's essential that nothing does go wrong, seems like a good time for it to break. // 10

Overall Impression: For somebody who has been playing over a year and a half, I have to say, it suits me prefectly, easy to play, comfortable and, unlike metal guitars (which was what I was hoping for, Jackson JS30 WR Warrior). I'm unlikely to put my own eye out playing. If it were stolen or lost, I would definately buy another. I have never held in my hands, a guitar as good as that. And, when looking for my new guitar, I tried a lot. From 50 Strat knock offs to 4000 Semi-Accoustics and Les Pauls, but the little 250 Hagstrom from a small shop in Darlington, won me over. // 10

F20T Reviewed by: Mischael, on april 15, 2014

Price paid: € 290

Purchased from: Düsseldorf

Features: - China made, July 2013, (please read other reviews)
- 21 frets, solid top,
- Pickups: 2 x Hagstrom Custom 60
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Toggle 3-Way Toggle Switch
- Bridge: Hagstrom Full Contact Tremolo FCS-1
- Controls: 1 x Volume 1 x Tone
- String Gauge (Factory): D'Addario EXP110 (10-46)

I deducted four points for bad adjustment of bridge and neck bent (not neck bend/elbow). // 6

Sound: Sounds good, somehow "between" Fender and Gibson guitars. Fits to my music quit well. I play it with all valve Fender, Marshall, Vox AC 30, lets say I am playing Rock music, some psychedelic touch, sometimes only distorted, sometimes bluesy. Variety is ok. Nothing to critisize. Maybe the potentiometer could have been a little bit more slip-proof. Rich, full, bright sound - I do not like to compare it to much as it would be only my personal opinion. I play it with Compressor, Overdrive, some reverb and delay. It is not noisy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: 1st guitar bought in July 2011: good setup appearently, but at home I felt out of the clouds. The hole at the back was milled not the way it should have been. The sustainblock touches the wall at back and front while bending up or down. 2nd one was okay, but the tremolo absolutely badly adjusted. I gave it back for adjustment. Go it back. Result was okay concerning the tremolo. But the bent of the neck was still wrong. Screws of saddles cannot be put deeper. It was a lot of time needed to adjust the guitar. The rest of the guitar is set very well. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Jes, it is well done. Will last a long time I think. 500 letters for what? The guitar is made from good materials, Hagstrom thought a lot about details and they have realized some really worthy ideas. (special trussrod, graph-tech saddle, tremolo, fretboard, frets itself). I can not tell if the electronics will last a long time. (The switch of a Hagstrom Bass HB4 needed to be exchanged. Really worse quality). I think one can use it without a backup. But who would do that as a string always can brake? // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar needs a proper manual and maybe even tools to adjust the tremolo and saddles. I think one will not get a better quality guitar for the bucks I have paid for it. But of course the mistakes are to be handled first to give a real recommendation. All the pluspoints can be erased by the problems with tremolo and neck. So keep an eye to the mentioned things if you want to buy one! I owe my new one (they had to replace the first one) for about one month now. Hopefully Hagstrom can manage to erase the rest of the manufacturing problems. If this could be managed I would buy a new one again. // 9

More Hagstrom reviews rating category latest review
+ Viking Deluxe Baritone 8.8 Electric Guitars 08/01/2013