Ultra Swede Review

manufacturer: Hagstrom date: 05/08/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Hagstrom: Ultra Swede
This guitar has awesome features: flame maple top, basswood body, thin, set maple neck with "resinator" fingerboard, abalone and pearl inlays, medium frets, pearlized binding around body neck and head.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.4
 Features: 9.5
 9.1
 9.3
 8.9
reviews (8) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Ultra Swede Reviewed by: Terrancehodder, on january 05, 2009

Features: The minute I played this gutiar I knew it was exascly what I was looking for. The Hagstrom Ultra Swede features a sick basswood body with flamed maple top with a slick finish. It features a resinator fretboard with abalone and pearl shell inlays (like you would find on some Standard Les Pauls). It has a 24.75 scale neck, custom Hagstrom anti-slip die cast tuners, two custom Hagstrom 58 pickups, 3 way toggle swtich W/ a mini toggle coil tap Switch, long travel tune-o-matic bridge and a simple control lay out of one volume knob and one tone knob. Needless to say this guitar has some amazing features! // 10

Sound: When I first played this guitar the thing that sold me on it was the fact that that I about how many unique and amazing clean sounds I can get off it by using the 3 way toggle and the mim single coil tap. So when I got it home I wasn't sure what it would sound like with overdrive or distortion..it blew me away! I play mostly Grunge (Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Ect.) but I also play a lot of metal and rock as well as my own stuff. This guitar can play any type of music that is out there. My friend Who plays a lot of fast and technical speed metal played this guitar and said it's better then his custom Jackson which he paid 2000 for..is there anything else that needs to be said! It has a rich/full clean or acoustic sound and a intense in your face distortion sound! It perfect! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is simple the best. My biggest issue was transfering from a acoustic to electric, which was a very big problem for me. However now that I have a Hagstrom I have evolved more as a player in the last 6 days then in the last 6 months! With the way the pickups are set up there are so many different sounds you can get off of thsi guitar is incredible. Everything on this guitar looks and feels perfect! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Ihave only had it about a week... but I have only tuned it once and that was on the day I got it, needless to say the tuners are durabile! I havn't played Live yet, but I feel that when I do Hagstrom is the only company that I'll be playing because I feel this guitar is extreamly reliable! If I was going to do a gig all in the same tuning then this would be the only guitar I would be using hands down. The guitar has a odd balance..however with the right strap you can't even tell. // 10

Overall Impression: With this guitar I currently use a Marshall MG Series 30 DFX with a Digetch Grunge pedal. Together they all sounds exacly like any guitar I would be using to record a album, with out without effects. I am sold on Hagstrom and they are all I will be buying from here on in. The other biggest company I was going to buy was Washbrun. I was about to buy a Washburn then I played this Hagstrom and I was sold! I will eventually be ordering myself a custom Hagstrom Ultra Swede but all I'd be changing is the paintjob! Everything else about this guitar is a 10/10 but if you ask me it's a 20/10! If you havn't played a Hagstrom.. you don't know what your missing! // 10

Ultra Swede Reviewed by: wildyoda2, on december 26, 2008

Purchased from: Maryland

Features: This guitar has awesome features: flame maple top, basswood body, thin, set maple neck with "resinator" fingerboard, abalone and pearl inlays, medium frets, pearlized binding around body neck and head, brass string blocks, two coil-tapped custom 58 humbuckers, Hagstrom imperial style closed 15:1 tuners, adjustable tune-o-matic bridge, brass stops, 3-way Switch, coil-tap mini-Switch, one volume, one tone. Kinda like a fancy, smaller, lighter, more versatile Les Paul. // 10

Sound: This is a great sounding guitar! Fairly bright overall, the coil taps allow you to get the crisp definition of single-coils but with a slightly different character. The humbuckers are warmly bright and quietly powerful. I'd say this guitar was designed with flexibility in sound, as a result, you may have to spend a little time "dialing it in", but it sure is nice to have it all in one package. Clean bright tones are easier to find than the darker distorted ones. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was spectacular straight out of the box! I kid you not! It was set up with very low action, no fret buzz, already intonated, and in tune! Alright I had to tweak the high E up a smidge but I am impressed! It's got a beautiful rich Golden Eagle bookmatched flame maple top that looks like crocodile skin. The pearlized binding is the cream on this bird, with a minor flaw, a tiny line of finish on the neck binding near the cutaway. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's still less than an hour old to me but I think it will last. Two pots and two switches, not a lot to go wrong. Strap buttons are adequate and NOT something by which you should judge a guitar. An H-expander truss rod and man-made fingerboard means the neck, although slim, should remain stable. Finish is immaculate but feels a little thin... will probably only last fifty years or so. // 9

Overall Impression: I enjoy playing a varity of styles, hence my interest in this guitar. It is extremely versatile, comfortable, tonal, user-friendly, built with quality and attention to detail, and did I say spectacular? Much nicer in person! My Epi LP with Burstbuckers sounds a bit richer, and I can't quite yet nail my Strat tones, but this guitar is a perfect medium for me. A future classic and a great deal at twice the price! Now I'm gonna go play! // 10

Ultra Swede Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2010

Features: I bought the Ultra Swede Nitro, made I collaboration with a Snowboard brand called Nitro, they produced a Snowboard with the same graphics. I think it was made in 2009. The neck is Ultra thin! "the fastest neck in the world", as Hagstrom brands it, and they are right! The neck is only 18mm thick, and 19mm thick at the 12th fret! Really awesome! I think the body is Basswood, with a really nice pearl outline, feels really classy! It has a Tune-o-matic, and the stall is on a plastic brick, I think it's for sustain, the sustain on the guitar is off the hook! The guitar has two Hagstrom custom 62N/62B passive hambuckers. I love those pick ups! Sounds really bad ass, I have other guitars and I always install the Gibson dirty fingers pickup becouse I want high output and in your face attitude. But these pups are even more awesome! Sounds so bad, just thinkin about it makes me wanna play the guitar! There is also a coil split on it so I can turn the humbucker into a single coil. The tuners are solid, hagstroms own brand, nothing more to say. A Super Deluxe gigbag was included! I have always preferd a hardcase but this case is really, really nice! // 10

Sound: I play alot of pop-punk, hardcore and easycore! Offcourse I also play some classic rock or just regular hard rock or heavy metal! It suits my pop-punk, hardcore thing really really good! Together with my Marshall JCM 2000 i got the tone and sound I had imagine all my life. I am used to do alot of pedals and stuff, but I didn't need that with this guitar, I just run it trough my polytune. It's a really noisy guitar, it sounds really nasty! I was blown away by the clarity. With so much distortion I have never heard a such full sound, it nails every tone in my chords. I'm kind of limited to my way off playing but a friend that's super skilled at guitar tested it and he said that it was off the hook, the neck pickup was super mellow, almost jazzy on the clean channel, and with the coilsplit he could do some country and many diffrent styles! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set-up really good, the action was perfect! The only complain is that the low E string tends to scrap against the other frets, not much, just a little bit! The pick ups was to low in my opinion! Had to higher them and find the sweet spot! All the electronics are good, can't even hear if you change pickup! The only complain is that the volume knob has almost no sensetivity, its like ON/OFF. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have done alot of gigs the past two years and we always jump around like crazy and rocks out really hard, we will do a gig next week, and I will play this guitar! At rehearsals (we rock out as much there) it's nothing to complain about, seems solid! Haven't dropped the guitar yet, but I will get some strap locks! I would not do a gig without a backup, anything could happen! A string could go or something like that, so i would bring a backup. Played a couple of hours with it and my belt made I scratch on the back, and I don't even use a beltbuckle, so it peeled off quite easy. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Pop-punk, Hardcore, Easycore! For that the guitar is perfect! It plugged it in, turned up the volume and gain knop on the amp and I heard the sweet guitar sound I always had dreamed about! Perfect match. I have been playing for almost three years now, I have a Fender Jag-Stang and a Epiphone ES-333 (Both equipped with dirty fingers)and this bad boy knocks them both dead! I have always used some extra distortion or overdrive pedal to get that little extra punch but I didn't need that with the Ultra Swede! The only really got is that the low E string buzz a little bit, and goes out of tune more easy than the other strings! But of all guitars I have tried this is as good as it gets, for me! Maybe not for you! // 10

Ultra Swede Reviewed by: GibsonEXP, on october 21, 2010

Price paid: € 385

Purchased from: Musik Kraus Buchbach

Features: In March 2010 I bought this beautiful guitar. It's made 2009 in China I think. It is a LP-style guitar that has a 2-piece basswood body with a flame maple cap and a set-in 24,75" mapleneck with the typical Hagstrom resonator fingerboard, which looks a bit like ebony. The neck is not as fat as some older Gibson ones and not so thin as Ibanez necks, it's just somewhere inbetween, the inlays are made of Abalone. The top has the typical Les Paul shaping and a wonderful finish, it's called "Golden Eagle", it looks a bit like the Gibson "Root Beer" finish. The machine heads are working perfectly (15:1), there's no need to Switch to some Grover, Gotoh or whatever. The keys of the machine heads are in the typical ART Dco Hagstrom style, very unique and great looking. It's got nice bindings around the body, neck and headstock. The trussrod is the Trademark Hagstrom H-Expander, it's got the shape of an H. It has a Tune-O-Matic with the Hagstrom-tailpiece, which has 6 solid brass string blocks and a big chrome cover, reminds me of Rickenbacker basses. The Hagstrom Ultra Swede is equipped with 2 Humbuckers, the Hagstrom 58 or 62 model, I don't know which ones exactly, but they sound vers nice, can be coil tapped with a mini toggle and we have a tone + a volume pot. // 10

Sound: As I was going to the music shop back in the time, I didn't want to buy any guitar, but I was playing this one and... GREAT! I'm playing a big variety of styles, and it fits very well. I'm playing nearly everything: country, blues(rock), classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, black metal, sometimes jazz and many more. I play several amps, a Kustom 100W with a Marshall 1960A (distortion: DigiTech TL2; some other effects) cab and a Hughes & Kettner 25th Anniversary Edition Tube. The Hagstrom has a Les Paul style of sound, but the basswood body and maple neck give it a bit more of freshness, it's a really versatile guitar, with coil tap you can go to a Fender-style sound, with a bit of overdrive and a delay it sounds like SRV. The pickups are not buzzing or squealing. It's a really versatile guitar, more versatile than my coil-tapped Seymour Duncan equipped Gibson Explorer. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar in a small music store near my hometown, in a village in Upper Franconia - the Boss of the store just buys good and flawless guitars. The setup was great, it was checked by the German importer of Hagstrom - perfect height of the pickups and strings, exactly cut nut etc. (As I bought my Gibson 4 years ago, the setup was horrible: extremely high strings, you could play bottleneck with it, the bridge saddles were not right, so the octaves were not right etc... Gibson oh Gibson...) The only thing is after a half year, that the volume pot is a bit rough running half way, but it's not that bad. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I had some live gigs with the guitar and it works perfectly. The hardware is great, the tuning is staying, it's a real working horse, not as bitchy as some Floyd Rose guitars I played. I changed the strap buttons to Schaller security locks, but there is always the same problem: the screws. I made a mush of wood glue and sawdust and darned it into the holes of the strap buttons, after 3 days I put the screws back in it and now the Security Locks are bomb proof. The finish seems like it doesn't wear off that fast, but I can not say it exactly now, because I own the guitar since March '10. Seems to be a PU-finish or something like that. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar fits nearly every style of music, it is really versatile because of the coil-tap function. I'm playing the guitar since nearly 10 years, I also have a 2006 Gibson Explorer which is completely customized, a Martin DX1R with a Fishman Natural II piezo installed by a luthier and a 2002 Hfner classical guitar. Not to forget: an Ibanez GRG with a Floyd Rose and 2x EMG 81. I would buy the guitar again without thinking about it! I love the great looking finish and the extraordinary Hagstrom headstock and Hagstrom machine heads, just the whole Hagstrom design, because they do not just copy, they have their own style. Actually I wanted a Gibson Les Paul next to my Gibson Explorer, but I played two Les Paul Standards last year and I was disappointed, the myth Les Paul is just a guitar: expensive and it's playability wasn't that nice. I think Gibson have too big tolerances in their production, some years ago I played the Les Paul Custom of a friend, it was great. Hagstrom >>>>>>> Epiphone... The playability of the Hagstrom is just like butter, I love this guitar and play it even more than my 1.700 EUR worth Explorer. I sat in that shop and wanted to test some EQ-pedals and took this guitar. The pedals were uninteresting, I was just playing and playing and than I bought the guitar and forgot the EQ. A true lovestory. // 10

Ultra Swede Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 08, 2012

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: Basswood body with resinator fretboard. Long travel tune-o-matic bridge which makes it stay in tune. 3-way toggle and a coil switch. One volume- and one tone knob. This one has the cosmic black burst which unfortunately didn't look as expected. Almost totally black. The burst effect hardly shows at all. Nice pearl around the edges though. // 8

Sound: The sound is really good on this one. Very versatile with the coil tap. I play mostly metal and rock and a little bit of blues and it does the job great. The volume knob is a bit "all or nothing". Humbuckers sounds nice and warm with quite a punch and when you split you get a crisp single-coil sound. Great sustain. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was close to perfect. Perfectly intonated and in tune even! Volume knob was lose but easily fixed. Beautiful pearl edges and nice inlays. No buzzing strings or anything. I might consider lowering the strings a bit and maybe adjust pickup height. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Still very new so its hard to tell but everything feels solid so far. The truss rod should keep the neck stable and so far it stays in tune. Strap buttons seems solid. I would not go on a gig without backup but not because I don't trust this guitar. You should always have a backup! // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for almost 10 years and I have owned quite a few guitars and this one is my favourite so far. I love the fact that its a little bit smaller in size which suits me perfect. The versatility is great and I would for sure buy a new one if lost/stolen. Again, only critique is that the black burst was almost invisible. // 9

Ultra Swede Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 01, 2011

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: American Guitar Store, Enschede

Features: This review is about my Hagstrom Ultra Swede. It's from a Swedish brand and build in China, I don't know the year. It has a very thin neck with a scale length of 24.75 inch. The neck is maple with a Hagstrom Resinator fingerboard. It has 22 frets. The body is a basswood body with a flamed maple top. The color is called Cosmic Black Burst. This means that it is black on the back, sides and around the outlines on the top, where the opacity becomes less towards the middle. It is stunning, one op the prettiest I have ever seen, they have a nice pearl binding all around and pearl and abalone markers on the neck. The pickups are 2 Hagstrom Custome 62 humbuckers, which give it a tone thath is classic and aggressive at the same time. The humbuckers can be split with the coil tap Switch for a single coil sound. It also has a 3-way switcth and a tone and volume knob. The tuners are 15:1 Hagstrom tuners. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my music style very well. I'm a home player and I really need a guitar that suits many styles. I play classic rock, punk rock, blues rock, pop, hard rock and some metal so it needs to be versitile. Because of the raw humbucker sound and the possibility to change to single coil it suits this very well. I run it through Guitar Rig 4 pro via my Hughes And Kettner Edition Blue 30w. As is said, this guitar can be a beast, but you can also get subtle with it. I think it won't stand against a high-end Gibson, MusicMan or Fender, but I don't think i'll find a better sounding guitar under a 1000 euros. Combine that with the versatility and you have a winner. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how well Hagstrom did the set-up on this guitar. I bought it at my local musicshop and they did a full check before handing it over to me. I don't think there where any big flaws. The neck is very smooth and the frets are in good shape. I my opinion the pots could be better, but it's not that big of a problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will withstand live playing. I'm not a gigger so I don't know for sure. I mainly play it sitting down in front of my laptop with Guitar Rig. The guitar however looks very solid. I've never had any problems with the guitar, which I have for over a year now. Last time I changed the string I just had to clean the fretboard, because you could dee the filth on the dark wood, but that's normal. The finish looks thick enough to last a lifetime and because you will go easy on the guitar (because you wouldn't want to ruin the beautiful finish) it will remain it's beauty longer than you do. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said this guitar is the best choice I could have made when looking for a new guitar. It was the most versatile in my price range, which was up to 600 euros. I play it for over a year now and I still love every piece of it. I love the variety of tones and styles I'm able to play combining this guitar and Guitar Rig 4 and I really love the finisch and the coil tap. If it were stolen I would buy a new one or try a Select Ultra Swede, but then I would have to give op this finish :(. My conclusion is that it's the best guitar that I could have bought and that I will never sell it. // 9

Ultra Swede Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2011

Price paid: C$ 530

Purchased from: KickAxe Guitars

Features: 2010 Model. Burgundy Burst Colour. Made in China. Pearl Binding from Headstock to Neck to Body. - 22 medium frets, - Basswood Body, Maple Neck, Resonator Fretboard (Ebony in feel) - 24.75 scale length. 18mm neck carve (very thin) - Flame Maple Top - Tune-o-matic bridge - 3x3 Hagstrom tuners. 15:1 Tuning ratio - Hagstrom 62 humbucker pickups - Passive. - Tone and Volume control - Coil Tap switch // 10

Sound: This guitar has amazing sustain. I just strung it with D'Addario 11's and I can play everything from Black Sabbath to Stevie Ray Vaughan to The Whalers. Very versatile and easy to play. Noisy coil tap but that's fairly standard considering the price. Pickups are a little muddy depending on the height but you can get versatile sounds with the splitting which is handy when you play live. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is standard but because the trust rod is huge you can lower the action without immediate buzzing. Finish on the neck slows down my playing so I sanded off a little of the coat. Everything was routed well and the pickups were installed great. Frets do not hang over fretboard from bad cuts or from a dried neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Hold live great. Because it's a mid range guitar, I don't feel the need to stare at it like a Telecaster all day long and it just makes me wanna play and improve. Hardware looks durable. Standard strapbuttons. The guitar isn't super heavy like my Hagstrom D2H but it's sufficient. It's got a great color to it and the need for a backup guitar is thrown out it you maintain this one. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been a fan of Hagstrom since I bought their cheap DH2 guitar which is still a blast to play with Bill Lawerence pickups. I'll be buying more hags in the future and love the look more than a Gibson. I play mostly blues, rock and reggae and having the ability to switch tones on the go is great. I play through 3 pedals. Ibanez TS, Boss tuner and a Boss chorus CE-5. // 9

Ultra Swede Reviewed by: vimal_vmp, on january 20, 2012

Price paid: € 354

Purchased from: www.thomann.de

Features: Not sure where the guitar is made however I guess from the serial number on the guitar it is manufactured in July 2011. Specs: Hagstrom Ultralux Series Ultra Swede CBB LP-Style - 2-piece basswood body, maple neck, resonator wood fretboard, 2x Hagstrom custom Thomann 62N-4 & 62B-4 humbucker pickups, 629mm scale, Hagstrom TOM bridge. Colour: Cosmic Black Burst. Only reason for a 8 is that a standard LP has dedicated volume and tone for each pickup. And pickup selector is on the top not behind the bridge. Pickup selector near the neck feels natural to my right hand. // 8

Sound: I play mostly blues and rock guitar. I use a Crate modelling amp. I own a Fender classic players 60s Stratocaster which comes with Custom Shop '69 singlecoil pickups. Obviously the pickups on Hagstrom don't sound as sweet tonally as these pickups. I somehow prefer the tone of a single coil compared to a humbucker. However, with a bit of fiddling around with the amp settings, I could achieve a tone that I would say was "somewhat similar" with coil tap. But definitely, its not a real Fender sound. So if you expect to get Fender and Les Paul in the same guitar, well, not really. Ultra Swede has loads of sustain. Great humbucker sound when you have some distortion thrown in. In clean sound, the humbuckers sound a bit bassy. But like I said, easily fixed with the amp settings. I used to own a Hamer SATF guitar some time back and this guitar sounds much better than the Hamer for sure which was in the same price range as the Hagstrom. A little quirk is that the pickup selector switch is a little (tiny bit) noisy. You can hear the change of pickups. Overall I would say, the guitar sounds good and I didn't feel disappointed at all. They have some good sound to offer and you can nail pretty much all the 70's and 80's blues and rock and todays heavy metal type of sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar is absolutely fantastic! It looks stunning! Forget about the comments that say "for the price they look good". I think they look good for any price! The finish is great. The guitar that I received from Thomann was really well set up. Low action, straight neck, perfect intonation, correct pickup height. But I think that is Thomann who takes the effort to do it on all their orders. I have got other guitars from them and I have only positive things to say about Thomann. As mentioned above I play the CP 60's Strat. And I felt the neck dimensions and feel on the Hagstrom was quite similar to the Strat not much thinnner than the Strat anyways. I didn't feel the neck being different even though its a shorter scale. It is thin and fast. Unfortunately, I am not a fast player. The frets were nicely done. The pearl inlays are gorgeous! Certainly makes the guitar look very expensive. Adding the expensive feel is also the tuners which are different. All in all its a fantastically finished product. The finish easily compares or betters my 700 strat. I used to have a Hamer SATF guitar some time back and it is definately a lot better than that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems like good quality ones. Strap button is solid. I am sure it will withstand live playing quite well. I would totally depend on this guitar without a backup. Although if a string breaks I will be screwed. Finish looks good but I have not thrown the guitar on the floor to see if it chips... Hehe. But I guess all scars on the guitar are like a badge of honour! More real beating on the guitar more is the real mojo! // 8

Overall Impression: Blues and rock. This guitar certainly suits this type of music very well. I have been playing for about 3 to 4 years now. I own a Fender CP 60s Strat and used to own Hamer SATF. If stolen I would be quite sad and buy the same one again but may be in the Absolute Vodka finish. I love love love the finish. It looks gorgeous! I don't really hate anything but just a little quirk with pickup selector being a tiny bit noisy when you switch pickups. My favourite feature in this guitar is definitely the coil tap. That really makes the guitar quite versatile. But of course don't think you will get a Fender Strat and a Les Paul in 1 guitar. I wanted to get the Super Swede but they are quite close in price to a Gibson Les Paul Studio faded. And they are heavy! This guitar is light, has a nice contour body and costs half the price of a Gibson Studio and just a little over half the price of the super swede. But I can say that ignoring the price equation, this guitar is still a good guitar to consider anyways. I am super happy with my buy! // 8

More Hagstrom reviews rating category latest review
+ F20T 8.5 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014