Viking Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Hagstrom date: 05/10/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Hagstrom: Viking Deluxe
The Hagstrom Viking Deluxe semi-hollow electric guitar covers all genres from blues/rock to jazz/fusion and back again. With an arched, flamed maple body, its looks are as sweet as its tone.
 Features: 9.5
 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (5) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Viking Deluxe Reviewed by: skweezmylemon, on july 15, 2008

Price paid: C$ 900

Purchased from: Bluegrass connection

Features: A 07-08 haggy Viking. 22 medium sized frets on a composite fretboard (square MOpearl fretmarkers with rounded corners) resting on a maple neck (the entire guitar is canadian maple). The body is semi-hollow with an arched top and back. Resembles a 335 but with a slightly wider butt end. Binding everywere except headstock wich has some mother of pearl purlfling. The finish is pretty tough (not a scratch on mine so far). Flamed maple everywere except the neck. The neck is pretty fast and comfortable. The hardware is all Hagstrom stock (for now) basic 2 tone, 2 volume, 3-way pickup selector and 2 covered humbuckers that sound pretty good. Rock solid stock tuners that sorta look like imperial style tuners and a jazz style trapeze tailpiece. Came with a beautiful brown hardshell case. // 10

Sound: Well right now I'm using a lil 10 watt marshal with the Viking and it sounds awesome! I play rock and bluesy jazzy stuff and I couldnt have found a better guitar. It has plenty of growl for the rockers and since it's a semi hollow it's got tuns of headroom for the bluesers. This guitar sounds awesome clean (period). It can handle just about anything besides metal, the pickups just aren't crunchy enough. The low end is full and fat whith a tight sharp high end. Not a lot of feedback. Overall awesome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is low and smooth with no buzz or dead frets. Frets are seated and dressed perfectly all the way up the neck. Pickups could be raised a tad (personal preferance) and are placed square and straight. The sides meet at the bottom strap peg about a centemeter to the right so it's not quite centered with the top and back book matches (no biggy). Everything is smooth tight and perfect on this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: tough and reliable. I would deffinetly gig with this guitar. everything is sturdy and solid hardware to finish, she'd tough like a Viking. Only little thing is this small rubber coat of arms on the tailpeace has fallen off. I dropped somthing small on it and it popped right off because it was metal glued to metal. I don't miss it at all. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 or 4 years now, playing my Epi Les Paul and it just doesn't get as much attention now that I've found the Hagstrom Viking deluxe. If it were stolen ide buy another one for sure. Mine is all natural maple wich I love and the composite fretboard is great. A new bigsby soon and I'll have my dream guitar. This guitar is absolutely perfect. // 10

Viking Deluxe Reviewed by: iamok, on may 10, 2013

Price paid: A$ 700

Features: This looks like it is a 2011 model, black with gold hardware. Looks fantastic, feels great with excellent balance. Viking is a semi hollow body with the Haggy s-shaped holes on the body. Other reviewers have covered the basics well so I won't repeat. It has 2 x 50 humbuckers. As a comparison I also played a HJ600 Tremar and a Viking 2P. Comes with a hard case that is in retro style. Another customer in the store thought it looked great as I was walking out with it. Well padded, sturdy custom case. // 9

Sound: I play most anything except thrash, probably prefer bluesy rock. The Viking D has a rich, bright sound with or without amp. Whilst I have not yet given it a full gig session, many youtubes shows how versatile this beauty is. I have only scratched the surface so far and am amazed. Great sustain and a truly lovely neck for me. I have big hands but not super long skinny fingers like a Vai. The HJ600 had a great sound and action, and the VD was not far behind. The VP2 came up short in that it felt less sturdy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box after a quick tune up was excellently setup with great action, no buzzes or fret issues. One machine head needed a little tightening but hey, I can cope with that. I tried a couple of these in the store. The demo was excellent, the one out of the box was better. No flaws, except a slight buzz on fret two on the demo. The neck just feels great. The composite material plays beautifully. Plugging in to a mid range amp it sounded clean with many tonal options available. Overall amazing quality and feel of the guitar. It is a joy to play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: All the hardware looks fine - I jiggled and fiddled with everything. It looks and feels like a quality axe and I will have no dramas gigging with it. Apparently the 18: 1 machine heads are great and hold tune really well. I guess I will find that out. One of the many features is the glossy finish which not only looks great but also looks resilient. The shop demo looked in great shape with only a little grit on one of the pups. The strap nuts are solid, though I will replace them with locking nuts just to be safe. Only reason I rate this 9 is I have not gigged with it yet. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will help me with two things. Firstly developing my skills with a guitar that can handle just about everything and anything. And secondly enjoying it while I am at it - and this is so important. I have been playing on and off for 40 years, pretty heavily early on then had a break for about the last 20, having started again about a year ago. I researched the Haggy brand and models heaps and was prepared to be little let down given the rave reviews here and elsewhere. What I found and got is a fantastic value, high quality, very flexible and enjoyable guitar that looks, feels and sounds great. I am excited by playing the VD and that is half the battle I reckon. What more can I say? // 10

More Hagstrom reviews rating category latest review
+ F20T 8.5 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014