PT-VII Review

6.4
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
PT-VII Reviewed by: zultone, on november 28, 2005

Purchased from: www.haloguitars.com

Features: Not sure of the year, made in China I believe. 24 frets, 27.5" scale, 7 strings. Rosewood fretboard, ash body, bound fretboard. The neck feels nice, good quality construction, locking nut and stable tuners. Finish is a beautiful transparnt red, it works really well for a V2 (Jackson Randy Rhoads type V) body. It's not real heavy, but far from being light, the body came with no scratches, very well construction, Floyd Rose. Passive Halo humbuckers, they have a real real nice tone to them, very crunchy. 3-way selector, 2 humbuckers. One volume, one tone. I usually leave the volume & tone on 10, so don't really need 'em. It came with a gigbag, cable, and the apporpriate tools to tune, adjust the truss rod & action, etc. // 8

Sound: It's a 7 string, and I play death/black/thrash/whatever metal, a little classic rock & country to. It works for all of 'em. Not like you need a low B for country or classic rock though. It's not noisy at all really, probably the least noisiest of all my guitars. The sound is pretty rich, not real bright, not dull either. I can do pretty much every sound with it, save for it has no single coils, or coil tapping, plenty of variety for me. I play through a Zoom GFX-5 going into a Behringer V-ampire & a Yamaha Hundred B212, sounds great through all of 'em. I doubt I'd Switch the pickups, really. Maybe to EMG's if I so dared, but not really sure if that would sound any better. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty well, save for I had to tune it. Tuning a floyd rose isn't all that fun. No flaws when I got it, a few after because I'm really rough, cracked a few parts due to stupidity. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd definately play this guitar live without a backup, same with all of my guitars though. The hardware will last if you don't try to kill it, the strap buttons are very good. They aren't locking but in all the time I've had it they haven't come off, and my strap hasn't slipped off. The finish is pretty well, anomolies (figner prints, dents, scratches) don't really show up much, so it's good. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, this is a 7 stringed V, it matches perfect. Been playing 3 years. Other gear I have: Peavey Raptor Plus, Dean VX (best guitar ever), Ibanez GAX70, Harmony acoustic, some unnamed jazz-knockoff bass, Peavey Rage 158 amp, another Behringer amp, DOD Death Metal distortion, DOD FX57 Hard Rock distortion. I wish I asked how to tune a floyd rose before buying the damn thing, haha. That was easily overcome. I abuse it a bit though, and pull up too hard, snap strings. I keep it chained to my nipples at all times, so it's impossible to lose. If it were stolen I'd hunt the person down, torture them with razors, give them an acid bath, and them smear them in peanut butter and peanuts and let out a flock of seagulls and a herd of elephants on the person, after taking the guitar back. I love everything about it, favorite feature is the tremelo. I was debating on having a custom V made from KXK, but I'd rather buy an Engl amp, so I bought this guitar for 390 'cause of a deal. Debating on buying the amp still though. I wish it had a drink holder and a fleshlight attatchment. // 10

PT-VII Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 23, 2006

Sound: I play in a heavy/power metal band. I used to listen to those things in my early days and I still do sometimes. Nowadays I mostly listen to modern American sounded bands like Pantera, Disturbed, Slipknot act. I think with this guitar I can play anything. I can play heavy/power with my band while I can also play modern stuff with my side-project. I don't use nay stuff. Usually I have 2 Randall RH200 SC heads with 4X12 cabs, a Line6 POD XT Pro and a Morley Bad Horsie 2. Recording I use a Diezel-VH4 head and a Diezel 4X12 cab. I never had a noise problem with this one. The sound of that baby is great. As I usually say, "It feels like you are hit by a steamroller". Great power, great harmonics, nice cleans and one hell of a distortion. I think this guitar can make it through any music style as long as it is metal or hard rock. For anything else I think it's going to be too much of a dynamite. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar wasn't set-up in the factory since it had to travel to Europe from the US so I don't know about that. The thing I can tell for sure though is that it's really difficult to set-up it. The guitar comes with 2 Halo custom passive pickups. I asked to replace the bridge pickup with the active EMG 707. Not only the technician managed to fit that pickup but also managed to keep the passive one functional. The guitar was perfect! The only thing it needed was a setup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar a lot. I use is rehearsing, I use it practising, I use it recording and of course I use it playing live. Many times I had problems with my guitars playing live because I really abuse them on stage. With this one I have no problem. It rocks hard. As I said before, I'm abusing my guitars onstage but this guitar was made to be abused! The finish looks very impassive. It also seems well done. They seem to be ok and although I never had problems with strap buttons before, you need some time to get used to them. When I first bought it I would probably say no but now that I used this guitar onstage I can say hell yeah. I never gig without a backup but I would gig it and have another PT-VII as a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a guitarist for about 10 years. I used to play classical guitar for 3 years and for the last 7 years I play electric. I also have an ESP M-III Deluxe, an Ibanez RG270 and an Epiphone Les Paul STD. I think the only thing I would ask would be if I could change the hardware to the black coloured ones. I prefer the black ones but it's a mater of taste. I would definitely buy another 2 in case one of them gets stolen or lost again. I love the shape and of course the seventh string! I also like very much its sound but my favourite feature is the Randy Rhoads V shape. This guitar got to me from an endorsement contract. I've chosen it from the other Halo guitar because of the shape and the seventh string. I also liked the BH-VII. Black hardware. This guitar is perfect. I used to play an ESP and now I use the Halo PT-VII. If you don't believe how great that guitar is just go and listed my bands (X-Piral) new CD named "Hunters". But beware. Don't sit close to the speakers cause the steamroller will crash you face! // 10

More Halo reviews rating category latest review
+ Clarus 6.6 Electric Guitars 01/17/2014