SATF Review

manufacturer: Hamer date: 04/06/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Hamer: SATF
Patterned after the top-of-the-line Hamer USA Studio, this modestly priced Hamer embodies the word "value." The Sunburst Archtop Flametop features an Ivoroid bound Mahogany body with a beautiful flamed Maple veneer top.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.7
 8.6
 8.7
reviews (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
SATF Reviewed by: stevenl256, on october 25, 2005

Features: This guitar has all of the features neeeded for versatility, playablility, etc. It's fingerboard is made of rosewood and has 22 frets with dot inlays. The body and neck is made of Mahogany with flamed maple cap and has two cutaways. It's flametop finish really makes it look nice and you will get you a lot of complements. I prefer the double cutaways because when I am doing high fret work, I can wrap my whole hand around the neck. The body is a PRS style however, I am told that Hamer was around way before PRS so PRS could have actually copied Hamer's style. Always nice to have an original guitar. It uses two humbuckers that are made by Hamer. Actually, come to think of it pretty much everything on the guitar is made by Hamer including the tuners but that is not really a bad thing. The SATF uses and Tune-O-Matic bridge which I find kind of hard to intonate but once intonated, it should stay intonated. The axe includes two volume knobs, one tone knob, and a 3-way pickup selector. This should give you enough veratility to perform on stage. // 8

Sound: My music style is mainly classic rock which requires a little bit of distortion most of the time. I usually have the gain on 4 and it sounds great distorted. It has that nice heavy, muddy tone. If you hook it up to a tube amp with a clean setting, turn up the amp really loud and you will get a really cool ovedrive sound which I like to call American distortion because it reminds me of bikers with American flag designs on their motorcycles. Another little trick that sounds nice with this guitar is the woman tone trick. I'm sure most of you know about that. For those of you that don't, it's when you Switch the pickup selector to the neck pickup and turn the tone knob all the way down with a lot of distortion. This axe sounds ok clean too but it doesn't give me that chicken pickin sound that I usually like to get out of a clean sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up nicely. I didn't really see any huge flaws. However, when you look at the pickups and the tuners you'll see that they are all made by Hamer. This will give you a pulsing desire to customize like crazy. Some people just don't like everything on the guitar to be made by the same manufacturer. That's other people. I however am happy with everything that comes with the guitar. Another nice thing is that this guitar is very light so if you want to throw this in the air and catch it on stage then go ahead. One thing about this guitar that I like even more than the how it sounds is how easy it is to play. When I picked it up at the guitar store, the first thing I noticed was the fact that I was able to play things that I was never able to play on my old guitar. This is due to the neck which is the perfect shape. It's shape is very thin and not too round. This gives lots of room for my hand to move around for fast fretwork. The neck is more round in the lower frets which is good when doing rhythym with open chords. Another thing that makes this guitar so easy to play is the action. A lot of guitars have the action really low at the low frets and higher at the high frets. A lot of guitars make the action too high at the high frets which drives me crazy because I have to press the string down really hard which slows me down. The SATF isn't too high action at the high frets so I can play as fast as my heart desires. I would actually prefer the action to be the same throughout the whole neck but this guitar isn't designed that way. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take quite a beating. Even if you did get a ding in it, it would hardly be noticable because it would only affect the transparent finish. This would definitely withstand live playing. It doesn't drop tuning often which means your lead singer doesn't have to entertain the audience while you're tuning. It's actually really nice to play this live because it's so darn good looking. Also, if your band has a color theme, you can get it in many other cool and original colors. One complaint is that the strap has a little bit of a hard time staying on so you might want to purchase strap locks. You will be able to get a variety of sounds through the many combinations of Switch positions and knob positions. This could very well be your main guitar when performing. However, if you a chicken pickin tone as well as a muddy tone then you might not want to use this guitar with out a backup due to limited adaptability to clean sounds. // 8

Overall Impression: This instrument is good for any type of music. It can't give you the groovy clean sound of a Stratocaster with single-coil pickups. It can't give you the death metal sound of an Ibanez with EMG pickups. However, this will give you the perfect "in between sound" and the humbuckers can give somewhat good metal and clean tones. In other words, this guitar sounds very good with distorted classic rock and sounds ok with metal and clean tones. This way, you don't need three guitars when you are performing. I do wish that it had one more tone knob for a little more versatility. I compared this to some similar guitars before buying such as Gibson copies put they all just did not have the playability of this one. Overall this guitar has the sound, ease of use, look, and durability, and versatility that anyone would would need and I would recommmend this to anyone. // 10

SATF Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2007

Purchased from: Eastcoast music

Features: I'm not sure when it was made, but I'm quite sure it was late 2006 or around then anyway. It was amde in china but it's quality. It has 22 medium frets, a thinnish neck. It also has a beautiful natural flame maple top, with a relatively thick lacquer on it. The body and neck are glued-in solid mahogany. It's kind-of a les paul doublecut body shape but curvier. It has a Hamer Tune-O-Matic bridge which is quite good at staying in tune. there are 2 volume pots and 1 tone. It has 2 decent Hamer covered humbuckers, the bridge being the better one. I'm not quite sure about the makes and models of the machineheads, so I'll leave that to you, and I got a free padded gigbag worth 40 and a lead and truss rod allenkey. // 8

Sound: It easily suits my style of playing modern metal, detuned lead and rhythm stuff, because of the perfectly wide neck and polish on the back of it. I'm plugged through a line6 spider 3 30w and use the insane channel on the back pickup most of the time, which is killer with the eq turned up full! It barely makes any noise thanks to the Hamer humbuckers, and makes a bright sound when you want it to on the back and both pickups and a beautiful warm clean sound too with he front pickup. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfctly well set up by east coast music (where I bought it from) with the frets well filed and the nut set in better than what the factory had done. I'm not sure if the pickups were adjusted either, the binding at the bottom end of the flamed top is slightly misaligned, and there were a few bits of dirty marks just around the top and very bottom of the neck area. The pickup selector is noisy but doesn't have to be if you use it neatly. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yes I think the guiatr is giggable, and hopefully I will be doing so with it in the near future, the hardware loooks and feels solid enough to last, the strap buttons are rock solid, I would use other guiatrs at a gig but not as backups because this is a looking guitar to show off with. The finish though, probably won't last as long as the rest of the guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of modernish metal (I killed the prom Queen, Bring Me The Horizon, Architects, Azriel) the guitar is very verstile and if I was different I could easily play other styles of good music. I've been playing for 2 years but have come along quickly due to listening and playing fast metal solos and stuff. I also have a Squier Strat, which was my first electric guitar. I should have asked about the tuners, which I'm not sure about. If it was stolen I would be in a bad mood and threaten to kill the theif (probably). I love everything about the guitar, my favourite things are the flamed top, and the fat, detunable tone. I didn't compare it to any other roducts apart from maybe the Epiphone Les Paul Custom that I was going to save more money for, but then the people at east coast music said this was so much better. I wish it could maybe have 3 pickups, that would look classy, and a coloured top, instead of the natural colour. // 9

More Hamer reviews rating category latest review
+ Slammer XP-1 Standard 7.9 Electric Guitars 12/18/2013