SATP90 Review

manufacturer: Hamer date: 12/22/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Hamer: SATP90
There's no denying the beauty of this guitar. Designed after teh Hamer USA Studio P-90 model, this guitar features an ivoroid bound mahogany body with an arched maple top and a rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays. Add 2 Hamer P-90 pickups and a beautiful goldtop finish and you're ready to take the stage.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.3
 9.2
 7.3
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
SATP90 Reviewed by: TravisWongPG, on may 11, 2007

Purchased from: Private

Features: This is a brand new guitar I purchased from a private owner. The guitar is made in the U.S.A. It features 22 frets, 24 3/4" scale/length, ivoroid bound mahogany body with an arched maple top, and a rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays. Also has 2 vol, 1 tone, 3-way switch for electronics, chrome tuners, dual P90 pickups, and Tune-O-Matic bridge. The previous owned also uprgaded the saddle and nut to graphtec which improves sustain and keeps it tune better. Very similiar to the Les Paul Double Cut. // 9

Sound: The guitar can do pretty much anything you want it to do. The tone of a P-90 pickup is somewhat brighter and more transparent than a humbucker, though not quite as crisp and snappy as single coil pickups. It works for me when I play blues, rock, or metal and has a very full sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: There were no flaws in the guitar upon purchase. The action was great, pickups were perfectly adjusted, bridge routed properly. Everything was put together great and you can feel and hear the quality when you play. Of course, the guitar is brand new so I haven't seen what will happen to it in time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitly worthy of Live playing, and the hardware seems like it would last forever. I had a friend buy one of these used and poorly taken care of at a garage sale, he proceeded to try and smash it at a gig like "The Who" but embarassed himself when the thing wouldn't break. Strap buttons are solid and finish wont wear off anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I was very impressed with this guitar. The sound is great and the feel is great. It's got a long neck but it's very comfortable. If it were lost/stolen I would definitly consider reinvesting in this guitar. It could be improved with the adding of wammy bar and possibly another tone knob, but considering the way I play, it's not that huge of a deal for me. // 9

SATP90 Reviewed by: jrlenz, on december 22, 2010

Purchased from: JVS Music, Iloilo Philippines

Features: Made in Indonesia, SN/8300297. Goldtop finish, pseudo-ivory binding, set neck, 2x Hamer P90 pickups, ToM/Stop configuration, 2xVOL 1xTONE pots. Overall, the guitar itself is a beautiful specimen to look at; the body style fits comfortably either sitting or standing. The back of the neck and body are finished in the same, deep mahogany color. // 10

Sound: I play mostly blues, classic rock, and some modern rock -- this guitar is really a jack of all trades. I play through a variety of amps and effects, but mostly at home I'm using an 80s-vintage Create G-60 solid state and a Zoom G7.1UT tube-powered digital multi-effects. I have tested this guitar with a Boss ME-30 as well, and the variety of tones just blows away any of the other guitars I own. The stock pickups, however, keep this guitar from being a perfect 10. They're noisy as hell, and the sustain is poor -- I invested in a set of Lace PS900/905s about 6 months after buying the guitar, and they dropped the noise while adding a bit more sustain -- but cost about the same as the guitar itself. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no idea how the guitar came from the factory; it was on display in the music store and therefore had been handled by a number of customers (and probably the store guys as well) prior to my purchase of it. I had it professionally adjusted by a local technician, so it plays perfectly -- and stays in tune, even with the notorious Philippine humidity. For a guitar in this price range, that's a near impossibility. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The tail strap pin did pull out, shortly after purchasing it; I repaired this and have not had a problem with it since. The rest of the hardware is rock-solid; granted, I don't beat my instruments up but I would definitely gig this guitar. Without a backup? Hell no, but I'd buy two -- just in case I broke a string. :) Finish looks good; goldtop finishes can take a lot of punishment before they start to look road-worn. Backside would be prone to buckle rash, but I don't know of any wood-finish guitars that aren't. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar can provide that slightly-overdriven, bluesy punch -- about as close to Vintage blues as a non-Fender guitar can get -- and with a stomp on the footboard, you can pull out that harmonics-laden Billy Gibbons drive. Clean, it pulls out all the stops -- the tone is what you'd expect from a P90-equipped guitar, fatter than SCs but brighter than humbuckers. Tone control is very responsive and can put you close to either with a slight turn. Prior to buying the guitar, I spent a few occasions with it in the store, testing it through various amps -- lower-end SS marshalls, a Peavey ValveKing 112, and some effects as well. The only thing I wish I would have done is buy it sooner. I'd definitely replace this guitar, I just love the way it looks, plays, and sounds. I'd say for the money, nothing in its price range even compares. Not even close. // 10

More Hamer reviews rating category latest review
+ Slammer XP-1 Standard 7.9 Electric Guitars 12/18/2013