SATQ Review

manufacturer: Hamer date: 09/25/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Hamer: SATQ
The Sunburst Archtop Quilt goes over the top with a gorgeous laminated quilt top, abalone inlays surrounding the entire guitar and mother-of-pearl crown inlays. Supported by two Hamer humbucker pickups and a Tune-O-Matic bridge, you will have trouble deciding if you prefer this models' great looks or incredible sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 7.7
reviews (5) pictures (4) 15 comments vote for this gear:
SATQ Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2005

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: A Korean made Hamer Archtop Quilted Sunburst with gold hardware. For 225 it was a steal. It's got 2 volume, 1 tone, 3-way pickup selector, 22 jumbo frets with Duncans in it. Mahogany body with a mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard. Weights about 50 pounds! Grover tuners stays in tune nice, and can hold any tuning. // 10

Sound: This thing is the everyman guitar, clean. It sounds great for Chili Peppers stuff or even jazz. A little disortion sounds like Zeppelin and with alot you can shred like Zakk Wylde. Pickups are great, no feedback and has tons of sustain. I have a ESP to play shred metal on but I like the Hamer more. It's great for solos espeacially. Tapping, trem, alternate, string skipping and sweep, even sounds really cool with a slide. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The tension I think is nice. Feels alot like my Les Paul. Pickups sound better set a little lower. But that depends on the sound you want. Like I said it is heavy and hard to play sitting down due to the shape but I gotta around that. The finish is really nice it looks expensive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is solid. You could probably throw it down the steps and it would still be in tune. I use it all the time its my main guitar. I don't even really play any other one. // 10

Overall Impression: If you ever come across a Hamer take time and play it. You will be surprised and probably wonder how come not too many people play these. Since all I got are Hamer Sunbursts I can't spreak for every Hamer but the standards and the vectors are nice too. When I get together enough money I'm sure I'll have another Hamer. // 10

SATQ Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 10, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This Chinese import dated 2006 (listed for $689.50 US, no case) comes in four colors: Black, Tobacco, Blonde and Honeyburst (what I have) setting off the Abalone binding that's laid out around on a Quilted Maple top, neck and head stock, making this a very beautiful guitar to any collection. The neck seems short but that's only due to the smaller mid weight body. 22 frets with trapezoid inlays (come in dots as well) on a Rosewood fingerboard with a Gibson thickness and string spacing to the neck. The main body of this guitar is of Mahogany that in-riches the sound to it. The bridge and tail piece is a standard to most if not all non-whammy guitars. The tuners are also standard and do a pretty good job but grovers might be better. This Hamer SATQ comes with 2 volume and 1 tone with a 3 way switch configuration. The pickups are 2 Seymour Duncan SH-4's (8-6-5 EQ) and very high output especially on the high end. // 10

Sound: First thing I did was to swap out that SH-4 on the bridge for a DiMarzio DP103 36th Anniversary PAF (5.5-6-5.5 EQ).. I tell other musicians that Mahogany bodies and PAFs were just made for each other... FAR better harmonics and seems to sings in a wider range that's most excellent for Album - Arena Rock, Classic Metal, Blues and even Jazz Fusion. The PAF is that smooth. If your playing grunge, speed metal.. Etc, stick with the SH-4s. This is running into (either) a Pro Co Rat 2 or a DigiTech RP355 then through a Carvin R1000 Red Line Bass Head (that's right a guitar set using a bass amp head) to a Randall RA412XJ Cabinet. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Through a number of tweeking i.e. truss rod, string hight, Intonation etc.. And they were minor as it is to another other guitar set up to ones own specs, the playability of this Hamer SATQ was simple and took very little time. But this isnt always the case with every guitar, even if I had bought another Hamer SATQ like this one, that depends on who own it before you or if its new.. This Hamer SATQ was solidly built with no flaws seen even for being used and traveling 1000 miles in a box. All the pots and wires were ripped and replaced with new to avoid any "weirdness" or problems later on. // 10

Reliability & Durability: With this guitar and its current set up (pedals and amp) its ready to play Madison Square Garden. Tho I'd add strap locks cause the abuse of the strap holes to the buttons position (just might fall if your not paying attention). I have several guitars all from different companies and I play this most of all above all others. // 10

Overall Impression: My style of music I play is UFO, Thin Lizzy, The Godz, Kiss and of course Jethro Tull. And this set up WITH this Hamer SATQ can stand up against the Big Boys. that's one of the reasons I always wanted a Hamer, ever since I saw Martin Barre play one. I've been dinking around on all sorts of guitars from the early 80's and frankly I really wish that I had this set up especially this Hamer at that time an improvement beyond measure up to now. I'm even planning to sell off a few guitars and getting a Blonde or Tobacco just like the Honeyburst Hamer SATQ I have. I can't compare this Hamer SATQ to any other guitar it's in a class by itself and there's really nothing I'd change on it (except for a professional mounted Washburn Wonderbar). I put a "10" on each and this is after what I've done to it (tho it wasn't much outside of personal preferences) But even still this Hamer SATQ still deserves a solid 9 non the less. I recommended it highly. // 10

SATQ Reviewed by: JulesZappa, on march 02, 2007

Features: My Hamer sunburst quiltop was made in China, and has 22 jumbo frets. It has beautiful Abalone binding, and has a mother-of-pearl inlay all around the guitar. It has a Double-Cutaway, and has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge. The two Hamer Humbuckers are passive, and it has 2 volume knobs, and one tone control. The tuners are non-locking and are Hamer also. The pickup selector is a 3-way switch down near the tone control. The neck feels so nice, seriously. It's just a speed Demon. // 8

Sound: I love metal, classic rock, and nu-metal. It works fantastic with any style I've ever played. If you want a jazzier tone, you can just roll down on the tone, or volume down and you get a nice woman tone. It seems to have no hiss, but then again I'm using a Korg AX3000G Toneworks Processor with it, which has a nice Noise Gate on it. But When I turn the Noise Gate off, it only has a very quiet hiss. Hey what do you expect from a guitar though. It has a nice full sound, and actually quite bright. Of course these can be adjusted by working on your EQ. It has pretty good sustain, altough I've played better. The distorted sounds are pretty sharp and crisp, and pretty heavy. Shredding is pretty easy on this guitar, just Switch to the more articulate, cleaner pickup (the neck) and shred away. The clean sounds are incredible, add a bit of chorus and everyone will admire your clean tones. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was setup great, the action was perfect I thought. I've played Gibson's and it honestly feels about the same. The pickups weren't adjusted how I really like them, how Seymour Duncan recommends. The hardware was great, tuning pegs, and the craftsmanship was excellent. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar does excellent in Live performances, I've already tested that out. It's very reliable. The strap buttons are solid, get some locks and you'll be good to go. I used this at a concert and I had my Epiphone Les Paul handy in case something happened, and I never even touched it. The finish is great. Absolutely beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: I am getting into harder rock/metal and this guitar does the trick, but I wish it had a tremolo bar. Go with something more metal oriented if you want a heavy tone, if you love classic rock and today's rock music, this guitar is it. I've been playing about 4 years now, and I have a Fender Princeton 650 that I usually play the SATQ with. I also have a Crybaby Wah, and an AX3000G Pedal. If this was stolen, I'd probably get a Ibanez. My favorite features are that it looks tremendous, and sounds even better. I don't hate anything about it and my favorite feature is how smooth the neck is. // 9

SATQ Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 02, 2009

Features: Well featured- stunning finish, although the intonation needed a little tweaking, & I've changed the poor machine heads, for Grover rotomatics. The Duncan designed pups are fine, but have fitted a couple of Vintage DiMarzio PAFs & it sings! Despite its low price the volume & tone controls are pretty precise, can easily roll off to the classic rock "nearly clean" tone etc. Even the best guitars require a little attention, for the price, this is quite acceptable // 7

Sound: It absolutely roars! Have owned 2 Les Pauls in the past, and with the modifications mentioned, this compares well, for a fraction of the price ( even after upgrades). The guitar is ideally suited to rock, but it can do anything an LP can do in all honesty. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action a little high, but replaced the 10s provided with 009-042, & now its very reasonable, as mentioned I've changed the pups, but would do this with any guitar, frets well finished, not a flaw in the bodywork, there is a small amount of fret buzz unamplified, but nothing audible when playing thru an amp. Volume & Tone controls quite responsive, but the tuning pegs are dire! (its well worth 40 for some Grovers or similar) // 8

Reliability & Durability: Suprised at some comments that the guitar is light- I've been playing a Strat for some time now, & this feels "nicely" heavy, just like my old LP. Strap buttons solid, seems well built and durable, will have no hesitation in gigging with it- good quality for a Korean mass production model. // 9

Overall Impression: With a little modification, this has become my number 1 choice guitar, wouldn't hesitate in buying another if lost or stolen, although I would possibly go for a different finish (this is honeyburst, & very attractive, but would have ideally liked a cherry sunburst finish-us poor leftys don't get the choice of normal folk!) For anything along the lines of classic or modern rock, from Thin Lizzy to Green Day, this will produce very comparable results to a genuine Gibson LP. // 9

SATQ Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 25, 2012

Purchased from: JB Music Store Philippines

Features: I came across this guitar while looking for a good guitar with a budget of $350. At first, I looked at ESPs and Ibanez but their way above my cash limit but on the way home I came across with this guitar on a shop on clearance sale. Man! It glows with all the in-lays and amazing lamination that its like looking on a mirror. That was the first time I played a guitar with jumbo frets! Very satisfied with how it looks considering the price. BTW, in my country, this guitar sells about $600 on regular price. // 8

Sound: It suits my playing style a lot! It plays the blues very well, rock or even heavy metal. I'm using it with a Korg AX3000G signal processor and I haven't done any modifications on the stock patches I use. It's very rich! Just add a little chorus and you can really hear the great sound by the big names. It can make shred sounds clean sounds better than my previews guitars (Ibanez GIOs)... It's very flexible. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is a little bit high. The pick ups we're good but I'm planning to replace them with Seymour Duncan 59s. (Most people who has this guitar does). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid! Setneck. Though a little heavy. The finish is very well done. It can be compared to Epiphones or even LPs. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a good match for blues! I've been playing for 10 years now and I've never owned anything like it. The only flaw I found is that I can't install a bigsby tail whammy pedal to it because the toggle switch is placed right beside the bridge. I love the fact that it glows on stage! I encourage other players out there to try this guitar! // 8

More Hamer reviews rating category latest review
+ Slammer XP-1 Standard 7.9 Electric Guitars 12/18/2013