Slammer XP-1 Standard Review

manufacturer: Hamer date: 12/18/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Hamer: Slammer XP-1 Standard
It's built around the shape that has been a favorite of pros for over 25 years! Why so popular? Perfect balance. Easy access to all 22 frets. And just plain amazing sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 7.9
 7.7
reviews (7) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Slammer XP-1 Standard Reviewed by: antichristevan6, on august 31, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: My model was 2004 model built in Indonesia. It has 22 frets and a thin neck so I can move around it fairly fast. I'm lovin' the Explorer style body (fits my metal style) and the red finish is really good. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and twin pickups. I got a gig bag with it, and a wammy bar (but there wasnt a place to put it). // 8

Sound: This guitar is great for '80s metal. I play thrash metal and british-heavy metal and this guitar is a good one for that. It can give off a bright sound or a dark bossy sound so it has some good variety. It buzzes alot if you let it be and feedback is enevitable when at high volume even when it's on clean. Also, when you tap on the high E-string the sound kind of fades sometimes so you have to tap really hard. This guitar gives off some pretty extreme screams and the bends you can do on this guitar are pretty impressive. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got this guitar it was my first so I had not alot to compare it to next to my acoustic. But now that I've played a few other guitars (mostly ones like Squire and stuff). I can say that this guitar handles better than most of the other ones I've tried out. Mostly I like the neck size and the shape the most. When I got it the guitar had no flaws except there was a few scratches on the body because I got it used but they buffed right out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could definately withstand live playing. The only setback for it is that the strap comes off every now and again. But it's not enough to worry just get a strap block. I can depend on this guitar, but I would bring a backup in case I broke a string. // 8

Overall Impression: I play thrash metal and heavy metal and this guitar is a good match. I've been playing for 4 years and this guitar is my favourite of all of them. I wish this guitar had a wammy bar but I'll install that later. If it were stolen or lost I would die! And then I would buy a new one. My favourite feature of this guitar is how easy it is to play. I don't love the fact that the tapping fades on the high E string but it's all good. // 10

Slammer XP-1 Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 09, 2005

Features: My guitar was made in 2004 in Indonesia. It has 22 frets and a thin neck for fast action. I'm not sure what kind of wood it's made of but the body is solid wood and I can guess that the neck is rosewood. It is an Explorer style - very sexy looking and it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. You get 2 volume controls, a tone control and a treble Switch and it has 2 sets of 2 humbucking pickups. I didn't expect much from the company because its a cheaper Hamer but its very good. // 8

Sound: The guitar sounds awesome with my Marshall MG15DFX amp and Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal. I can play anything from thrash metal, glam metal, '70s arena rock and anything in between. It has a dark full sound. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up great at the factory and the pickups worked awesome. The guitar came with no flaws and the red finish on mine looks awesome. I can see my self in it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can definitly withstand live playing. the only problems is that the strap button nearest to the neck lets go of the strap ocasionally but I have yet to drop the guitar. The finish seems pretty good - I hit my guitar up against a door by accendent and it scratched the finish but it isnt really noticible. Be carefull! // 6

Overall Impression: I play mainly '80s metal and '70s rock and its a great for it. I've been playing for about 3 months now and if I lost or had this guitar stolen I'd probably first push for a Gibson or Epiphone Explorer but would easily go back to this after those didn't work out. // 10

Slammer XP-1 Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: My guitar is a 2004 model made in Indonesia. 22 frets, 3/4 scale, with a thin neck for fast action. The guitar is solid body wood, probably whatever Hamer had left lying around although it looks and feels nice and the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, your standard set up. The finish is a red flamed top Explorer body, looks very nice and it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. You're given 2 volume controls, a treble control and a tone Switch. My guitar has 2 humbuckers although I have no idea who makes them, I can only assume Hamer makes them and its the same deal with the chrome tuner pegs. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my musical style (Guns N'Roses, The Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, AC/DC etc.) pretty much perfectly with me Marshall MG15DFX amp and Boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion pedal. The sound is very bright and it can make a sweet variety of sounds. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well at the factory, my only problem was a missing truss rod cover but that doesnt really affect much at all. The pickups work fine although I do notice while tapping on the high e string the sound fades out. My only other problem other then broken strings (my own fault) was that the nut where u plug the cable into my guitar came off and I almost lost the whoel thing inside my guitar, I was lucky I had pliers handy. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would without a doubt survive live playing. Everything seems like its built to last, the only problem here is the strap comes off the strap buttons occasionally (although not too often) so I would recomend locking buttons. I'd play a gig without a backup because I trust my guitar, the worst case scenario while playing this guitar in a gig is a string breaks, a normal risk. Excelent relability and durability. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly '70s rock and '80s metal, a very good match for this guitar. I've been playing for about 5 months now and the only things I've bought for this guitar other then my Marshall amp and boss pedal is a Hamer XP-1 standard hard shell case which is a b--ch to lug around but it's bulletproof. If I lost or had this guitar stolen I would probably try to upgrade to a Les Paul, SG or Gibson Explorer but that's just becase I always want the best and for the money I spent on this guitar, it's hella good. I chose this this over Sqiuers and Fenders because of how it looked mainly. It's so much more bad ass then any other Strat out there. The only thing I wish this had was a whammy bar but that could be attached later. // 8

Slammer XP-1 Standard Reviewed by: breadfan82, on september 01, 2005

Sound: I play mostly Metallica, and I dabble in a few other styles of rock and metal. This guitar is pretty versatile when it comes to what you can play with it. I have a GNX4 guitar processor and I run a Peavy Bandit 112 and a Marshall MG50DFX into the GNX4's stereo inputs. The Explorer is pretty suiting for what I play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up very well indeed. My guitar tech and I both tried pretty damn hard to find something wrong with this guitar, and neither of us could. Way to go, Hamer. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match to my style. I've been playing for seven years, and I have too much crap to list it all. If it were stolen, I'd kill whomever stole it. I love the balance the guitar has. I like the pickups and the skulls and the body style. I compared it to the Jackson 'Kelly', and Gibson, Epiphone, and ESP Explorers, but this was the most playable and affordable of them all. I wish it had 24 frets, but I'm not in dire need of that. This is one guitar that proves quality isn't about what name is on the guitar. // 10

Slammer XP-1 Standard Reviewed by: Speedabob, on october 27, 2005

Purchased from: Some Place In Poland ,cost 850PLN

Features: Made In America 2004, 22 medium jumbo frets, maple neck and rosewood fretboard, not sure what body it is but it says solid wood, finished in black, 1 cutaway, Tune-O-Matic bridge, stock passive electronics, 2 volume and 1 tone controls, stock pickups, H/H config, not sure what tuners they are. // 9

Sound: This guitar is really good for heavy metal and such, the pick ups give out a bassy sound like Slipknot or Metallica, I use it on a Fender 30 DSP and Boss DS-1, the clean sounds good too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was really good till I changed the strings and ruined it, the pickups weren't adjusted too well so I did them myself, everything was made perfectly except it is very heavy, not bad for a 150 guitar huh? // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing and the hardware will last very long, strap buttons are solid, the guitar only almost fell 2 times 'cause of the strap, I would use this guitar on stage and wouldnt need a backup, the finish will last forever, I have hit it in many places and nothing has happend, not even a scratch. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar really matches my music (metal), I've been playing 1 year and couple of months, if it were stolen I would buy it again but thats if only I wouldn't find another guitar that would replace this one, I compared it to my cusins Flame Les Paul and I found my guitar better, I just wish it had different pickups and jumbo frets. // 10

Slammer XP-1 Standard Reviewed by: halfstepdown88, on november 07, 2005

Purchased from: Discount Music

Features: This guitar has 21 frets. The neck feels really crappy compared to my friend's guitar. The guitar I bought is candy red, but you can also get black and sunburst. This guitar pretty much sucks. I got ripped off badly from Discount Music, the guy who works there is a total jerk. Once my friend went in there to get his strings changed (when he was a newbie and didn't know how to do it himself) and it took the guy 1 hour. So with that said, this guitar purchased somewhere else may be better, because it is possible the guy mingled with it. Besides that, this guitar sucks pretty badly, and its components suck. // 2

Sound: I don't even know that it has a style, "beginning guitarist who didn't know he was getting ripped off" style. It gets a lot of feedback and times too, especially when you have it set on bride pickups. I can only get harmonics on half the pickup settings, I thought that was normal until I played my friend's guitar. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups suck and the guitar comes out of tune a ton. Every time I pick it up I basically have to tune it. 3 of my friends, on their guitars, don't nearly have to tune their guitar as much as me. If you buy this guitar you are going to regret it. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely not withstand live playing. The hardware seems pretty low quality. The strap buttons suck as well. I would never use this guitar at a gig. Never. Once I was playing and this washer and nut just popped off and it took me 20 minutes to get it back in and tightened. // 3

Overall Impression: I play from blues to hardcore rock, this guitar isn't good for anything. I've been playing for almost a year, I use a $300 dollar amp and a grunge pedal. I have also used this guitar with other equipment though, and was still dissapointed. I wished I wasn't so dumb when I bought this guitar, if I was smart, I would have gotten anything else. If this guitar was stolen/lost, I would not buy it again, I would get something else. Come to think about it, I hope this guitar gets stolen. // 1

Slammer XP-1 Standard Reviewed by: tauren_wardrums, on december 18, 2013

Features: Black 2004 series. Made in Indonesia. 22 standard frets, looks to be a rosewood fingerboard. Body and neck composition are unknown, as this is a repair job for a friend, which is the reason for this review. The finish is flat black, with a white pickguard covering the selector switch and interior cables, and the device is done in an Explorer style. The bridge style is simple, with two floating pieces that detach when unstrung, and no tremolo. The electronics are passive. At first glance I would assume they are still the factory setup. There are three knobs, unlabeled, most common configuration is two volume and one tone, and a 3-way selector switch. The pickup configuration includes two double-coil humbucking pickups, at the neck and bridge positions. They are the factory items. The tuners are non-locking, and not labeled. // 7

Sound: After finishing maintenance on this device I plugged it in to a small amp that we keep downstairs for practice. The sound, both clean and dirty, has a full, bright sound with absolutely no noise or feedback. This device can make a decent variety of different sounds, with articulation between picking, plucking, scratching, hammering, and accents below the bridge and above the nut. On a clean channel the strings seem to sing as they are played, and chords are voiced with resonating clarity as they progress from one to the next. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: During maintenance, one of the first things I did was adjust the action, both through the neck and via the bridge's string seating system. The result is a very low action that almost buries the strings into the fingerboard, requiring almost no effort for chord grips or to sustain a note. The fit of this device is suitable for almost everyone, but the solid-body construction provides some extra weight that may cause discomfort when used extensively. The white pickguard contrasts nicely with the flat-black finish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would recommend this device for practice sessions, live playing and even recording. The hardware is easily adjusted but durable, indicating the ability to last. Each piece of hardware is tooled onto the frame in a way that makes adjustment easy to perform. The strap buttons are large and solid, and held my strap easily, without discomfort. Overall, I would rate this device as dependable, but I would always advise a backup be carried to any show, regardless of venue, size, time allotment, et cetera, in case something does go wrong. A broken string can interrupt a set as easily as a fire. The finish is lacquered over, and will not wear or fade with use. However, care should be taken not to scratch or ding the device while in use. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this device is positive. It is suitable for many different styles of music, though its cut and body shape suggest a somewhat heavier feel or style. For the record: I am trained in jazz, and have been playing music for almost 20 years. In my studies I have also taken up maintenance and am able to repair guitars, basses, drum sets and other such instruments. My own gear list includes a Pearl drum set and a Dean Baby ML tuned to drop-A (A E A D G B). I also own a multitude of recording and sequencing software, and am an audio engineer. This device is set up with simplicity in mind, and maintenance is very easy to perform. Its weight may be an issue for some, but it is a reliable instrument, and if treated right it will last a long time. // 9

More Hamer reviews rating category latest review
+ Special USA P-90 8.8 Electric Guitars 09/10/2013