Special USA P-90 Review

manufacturer: Hamer date: 09/10/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Hamer: Special USA P-90
This is one the best sounding guitars I have ever played. It's 20 years old and never been worked on since I have owned this guitar.
 8.8
 9.6
review (1) pictures (4) user comments vote for this gear:
Special USA P-90 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 10, 2013

Purchased from: Guitar Show

Features: Hamer Special with 2 P-90's pickups made 1993, TV yellow color. Rosewood fingerboard. Solid body light weight. 3-way selector. Made in the USA. Has hard shell case, Hamer tuners, hard tail bridge two volume knobs and one tone knob. I have owned this guitar for about 11 years. I have several guitars but this one of my favorites. I play this guitar more than all others. I like the bite the of the Duncan P-90s. The guitar does have some minor nicks. I would buy this guitar again and it was one of the best I have played. // 9

Sound: This is one the best sounding guitars I have ever played. I have a 1955 Les Paul Jr and it does sound as good. The Gibson plays just as good as the Hamer Special. I play blues, classic rock, country rock. My best amp is a real deal 1969 Marshall 50 Watt, I have owned this amp since 1997 and it was not so expensive back then. I also use a 1968 Fender Twin, I have owned this amp since 1998. 1964 Fender Deluxe that I have owned since 1999, a 1994 Fender Blues Deluxe, I have owned this amp since 1996. The guitar works with all the amps. I use a Line 6 2.0 POD for effects as well as other pedals. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up perfect to me. The pickups are set perfect for me. I bought the guitar used and I have never every had any setting touched on this guitar. The action is low and is set great to me. Very easy to play. There were some minor chips in the finish when I purchased the guitar several years ago. The hardware is in perfect condition. The tuners work great and there are no flaws in the hardware. This is a great guitar if you like the P-90 pick ups and they suit your style. I play a lot of different styles and this guitar is capable of a lot of different sounds. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is 20 years old and never been worked on since I have owned this guitar. This guitar has been played a lot since I have owned it. I do not think there is any pick ups any better than the USA Duncans. I am sure it was played a lot before I bought this guitar. No problems playing live 3 nights a week. This guitar is 100% dependable. I use other guitars for certain sounds but never have needed a back up guitar. Hamer USA is known for very high quality, and there is still good buys out there on Hamer USA guitars. They do not have the big names like PRS, Gibson, Fender, and other big names. The finish is good and no real problems. The minor chips in the finish was from handling and most of them happened before I bought the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Blues, classic rock, country rock, and some country. 35 years. I have 36 guitars including other Hamers. 3 Les Pauls, several Fenders. A Paul Reed Smith Custom 22, 10 Top, with birds. The Paul Reed Smith is a great guitar. I have a Hamer Artist Custom 1996 Flame Top that is a great guitar. I also have 3 G&L guitars. A S-500 that is the best Strat type guitar I own. It is a 1993 and I owned for about 17 years. It is near mint and has a very rare Flamed Ash Body in Cherry Sunburst. The other two are an ASAT Classic which I love and a ASAT with swirl finish I have owned 18 years. G&L is another great guitar maker. If the Hamer was stolen I would have to have another. My favorite thing about the Hamer is the sound. Yes I played several Gibson Specials before I bought this guitar. The Gibsons were a lot more expensive even when I bought the Hamer. Video from YouTube:

// 10

More Hamer reviews rating category latest review
+ Slammer XP-1 Standard 7.9 Electric Guitars 12/18/2013