Stellar 3 Review

manufacturer: Hamer date: 04/27/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Hamer: Stellar 3
This 25 1/2" scale guitar was designed to give you easy access to all 24 frets, with a Silky Oak top that makes this guitar stand out from the crowd.
 Features: 8.5
 8.3
 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Stellar 3 Reviewed by: Coolvortex, on august 17, 2004

Purchased from: Local music shop

Features: This guitar has 24 frets, a stratocaster-like body, and it's equipped with a very good wilikinson bridge and three Duncan designed pickups, a Humbucker on the bridge, a central single coil and another single coil on the neck. It has a volume and a tone knob, a 5 way selector plus another Switch to change the bridge pickup from humbucker to a single coil. Even if I bought it new I got no bag nor strap with it. The wilkinson bridge is really of a very good quality, as the pickups and the whole body. So I can say it deserves a 4. // 8

Sound: Let's first say that I play from just an year, and I'm not a great player. But I like playing different styles and I know if the guitar sounds good and fits what I'm playing. I like playing rock (The Darkness, Velvet Revolver), nu-metal (Linkin Park), grunge (Nirvana), pop-punk (Sum41, New Found Glory) and I try my best on Metallica and I can say that this guitar can fit all this music styles just by adjusting the settings of the amp, or, as I do, of a multi-effect pedal. I use it on a crap Crate amp with a DigiTech RP50, it's not a good equipment at all as you can see but it still can produce an amazing sound. it isn't noisy at all, and even if it produces a little little buzz when the amp's overdrive is set to the max, it doesn't produce it at all when using the multi-effect unit. The sound can range from full for rythm to bright for solos just by changing the EQ settings. The bridge pickup is amazing for distorted sound, and you can obtain different great sounds by using it as an humbucker or as a single coil. For clean sound it isn't as good, but the central and neck pickup are really amazing for it. On the central one it's got a nice bright sound, while in the neck pickup it sounds something like an acoustic, making this guitar suitable for really any style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up at the factory well enough, even if I'm more or less a newbie of guitar playing, I haven't felt the need to adjust it. I just felt the need to change the .10 strings the guitar was equipped with, since I find myself confortable with .09 strings, but this is a matter of taste. The guitar hadn't got any defect, the finish was perfect as the wood and the pickup selector doesn't produce any noise. The tuner of the B string was a bit loosened but the problem was solved in a second with just a screwdriver and I don't think it's something that can be called a flaw. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't play in a band but I play really a lot, some days I can arrive even to 4 hours of playing (not non-stop, of course) but the guitar doesn't seem to lose it's finish or something, nor the body seems weak. It has only a flaw: the strap button was too loosened and it got out of the wood but since I had my guitar in hand it didn't fall. Still I didn't like this thing since it could have fallen if I wasn't holding it, so I'll give it a 4. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my second guitar after a very cheap SX Stratocaster clone, and all I can say is that this guitar can't be compared to that one. It isn't the best thing around, but it's really a good guitar if you are like me, a new player which isn't happy with a cheap guitar. I really think it'll last many years and it'll always be a good guitar. At least, it fits me very well. I love its sound and everything about it, and how you can go on the neck and it's dimension, not too thin nor too thick. I think that if I lost it and I could spend 600 euros max, I'd buy this one again, since there's not another guitar with this features at this price. I tried a Les Paul-like, it had no tremolo, I tried an Ibanez, it didn't have this sound and couldn't be detuned (for example, for Metallica and Linkin Park). This one has everything at the same price, so I really advise you on gettin it if you have this budget and you're searching for a guitar that can fit all kinds of rock and metal no matter how soft or heavy it is. // 10

Stellar 3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2012

Features: 2001, made in Korea. Set neck solid maple body with curly oak top. 24 frets. HSS Duncan Designed pickups with 1 volume, 1 tone, 5-way blade switch, coil splitter. Rosewood fretboard. Wilkinson knife-edge bridge. The curly oak has incredible depth, and adds sustain and warmth to the sound. High-end Gotoh tuners stay in tune. The contoured body and beveled horn make it very PRS-ish. // 9

Sound: Impressive sustain, fast action, and a perfect neck make this guitar a dream. Best money I have spent. Limitless sound combinations from Strat to heavy PRS meat. Very quiet pickups, even on the single coils. Highly versatile. Love the neck pickup with tone dialed down to about 4 - very slow bluesy. The humbucker has plenty of low-end chunk but is in no way muddy. Very articulate. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Superior construction and craftsmanship. Duncan Designed pickups are very good for the price. The finish is nearly flawless. Extremely well made body, smooth fret ends, glassy fretboard and satin neck make the guitar look as good or better than guitars costing 3 times as much or more. I was especially impressed by the fit of the pickups. Flawlessly finished pickup routs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Extremely high quality hardware and nearly flawless finish assure that this guitar is road ready. Slightly heavier than a strat, I believe that this guitar is nearly indestructible. Even after 30 plus gigs, the finish look almost new. Even after multiple headstock clunks, there is no visible chipping on the edges. A tribute to the quality paint and clearcoat. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect for blues-rock, classic rock, country, even 80's hair metal. Not sure it the perfect metal guitar, but could be with the right pickups. The guitar is very versatile. Somewhat reminiscent of an 80's Fat Strat, but even greater quality. The rarity of this guitar is one of its many charms. I've only seen 3-4 on eBay over the past 7 years. They have sold as high as $700, so mine was a steal! Remember - your sound is as much in your fingers as in your guitar. // 10

More Hamer reviews rating category latest review
+ Slammer XP-1 Standard 7.9 Electric Guitars 12/18/2013