Vector Review

manufacturer: Hamer date: 01/13/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Hamer: Vector
This ain't your daddy's flying V and it ain't your mama's either! The Hamer Vector will transport you right into the 21st century with its well-balanced body and classic Hamer boomerang inlays. Powerful Duncan-Designed pickups give you the kind of boost that will send your amp into another world. Seeing is believing.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 8.1
 9.3
 6.9
reviews (4) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Vector Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2005

Features: - Body type: alder w/ivoroid binding - Tuners: Keystone - Electronics: 2-vol, 1-tone, 3-way toggle - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic - Inlays: dot - Neck joint: set - Scale length: 24 3/4" - Neck pickup: Hamer humbucker - Bridge pickup: Hamer humbucker - Frets: 22 - Body style: Flying V - Fretboard: rosewood. // 10

Sound: This is a truly amazing guitar. It suits my style perfectly: classic rock, blues, modern rock, and some metal. Keep all three knobs turned to 10 and switched to the bridge pickup, and you get an all-around great sound. Switch to the neck pickup with the volume turned down to 8, and you get a fantastic blues sound and feel. For a classic rock sound, keep all knobs turned to 10 and set the toggle to both pickups. Switch the toggle to the bridge pickup, keep all knobs turned to 10, and tune to drop D. It'll sound so kickass and evil that it will make the devil shit himself. Noise-wise, it's perfect. There is absoultely no buzz or anything. I play through a DigiTech RP50 (pretty sad, considering I've been playing bass/guitar for about 3 and a half years), through a crappy Ibanez bass amp, and it sounds amazing. Occasionally, I'll play through my friend's 120w Crate full-stack, and it sounds even better. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was made perfectly in the factory; there isn't a scratch on it, and the set-in neck feels perfect. I haven't tweaked with the pickups; I was thinking of replacing them with two Gibson pickups, but eventually went against it. If it ain't broke and it sounds good, why change it? The black finish is in great condition; nothing has chipped off, and the volume/tone knobs are excellent, and I have had no problems with the toggle Switch. The tuning pegs are excellent; I have no problem down-tuning, and the guitar almost never goes out of tune. I do have one problem, however; the actual V-shape is a pain in the ass when playing while sitting down. But that can be expected, right? // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played with this guitar live, but I honestly think it could withstand 100+ live shows. The hardware hasn't failed me yet; which is something I am extremely happy about, as my old guitar (a Peavey "Mantis") crapped out right before a gig. The strap buttons are perfect and not loose at all. I would definitely use this on a gig without a backup, unless I had to change tuning on it and didn't have much time. The finish is amazing; yeah, it's all black, but it's beautiful and hasn't wore off yet. // 10

Overall Impression: There is one problem though; I wish the guitar could sound "heavier", but ahwell. It's nothing important; it sound great the way it is. Like I said above, this suits my music style perfectly. I've always loved strange-shaped guitars, such as the Flying V and Explorer, but I didn't have the money to afford the Gibson kind. So, I chose this. V-shaped guitars have been an extremely influential part of classic rock, and still is today. It sounds amazing; even through my Ibanez bass amp and DigiTech RP50. If this were stolen, I'd hunt the guy down, shoot him with a harpoon, and kick him in balls. This is a guitar I absoultely love; nothing can replace it. // 10

Vector Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 14, 2007

Features: Made in 2006, Indonesia, 22 frets, nice and thick-feeling neck, set in. Body and neck made of alder w/ flametop veneer and ivoroid binding. The finish is a beautiful honeyburst on flame. The body style is the Ultra-sexy Flying V and it has 2 Duncan Design humbuckers, a tune-o-matic bridge and is string-thru. It has 2 volume and one overall tone Switch, with a three-way pickup toggle Switch. The tuners are Hamer's Vintage green style. // 10

Sound: I played through a hell of a lot of Fenders and Ibanez's before choosing this baby, and I must say I have no regrets. The stock pickups sound surprisingly good and the controls are simple, yet extremely versatile. I mainly play punk, hard rock and metal, and this guitar does them all perfectly. It's even pretty good for stuff like Eric Clapton. It has this amazingly full sound, that can go everywhere from Billie Joe Armstrong to Kirk Hammett and Slash, and packs loads of sustain. I play through a Spider III 75, and it sounds awesome with every single one of the song presets that the amp has. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came perfectly set up from the factory, with perfect action and tightly screwed-in strap holders (though I'll be switching those out for strap locks soon). The finish is absolutely perfect, the same colour of a glass of champagne held up in the light. The pickups are really good for a guitar of it's price. The chrome parts of this guitar will be a little difficult to maintain overtime, of course, but as of now, they Shine like a mirror. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This axe is definitely stage worthy (where else would you play a Flying V). The strap buttons are solid and have not failed me yet. The chrome will most probably tarnish overtime, but after two gigs, I haven't seen even a ding on it. It has this amazingly comfortable weight, that doesn't give anyone a bad back after 3 hours of playing, and is still heavy enough to not let it fly off when I'm jumping around on stage. I would definitely take this to a gig without a backup. The finish looks amazing on stage and is perfectly uniform all over, I doubt it will even crack in the next 3 years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play loads of hard rock, stuff like G'nR, Green Day and Metallica. By just looking at this beaut, one can easily say that the axe perfectly suits the styles (playing is another matter entirely). I've been playing for 3 years, and this is my first electric. I went through mounds of guitars before picking this one up, and for it's price, it even beats those Mexican Strats. Apart from this, I own an Ovation and some old acoustic that is so badly bashed up I can't read the stuff written on it's headstock anymore. This guitar easily beats the living hell out of almost every guitar I've played (nobody can beat a Gibson LP, man). If it were stolen, I'd track down the misbegotten madman and beat him into the ground with a golf club. I love everything about it, and would definitely keep it all my life, 'cause I know it would last that long, if not more. // 9

Vector Reviewed by: nuclearganon, on december 24, 2008

Purchased from: music-centre.co.uk

Features: I got mine just today. I think it was made in 2008, but I'm not 100% sure. 22 frets, Maple neck, Alder body. It's a V style, T.O.M bridge with V tailpiece, Hamers own humbucking pickups, 2 volumes, 1 tone, basic stuff, standard tuners. Mine came with a free padded case and a lead. Overall, pretty basic, but very good stuff. // 7

Sound: I was very pleasantly surprised at this guitar. I play almost exclusively thrash/ progressive metal, pretty similar to Metallica's... And Justice For All album, I suppose, and it plays it brilliantly, the pickups are surprisingly good for stock pickups and it sustains pretty well too. The amp I use is a P.O.S Yamaha GA10 amp, the worst amp ever made, but I'll be getting a new, probably Peavey soon. I don't play through any effects. I wouldn't say it's noisy, but there is a bit of hum at high gain settings, but there's nothing too bad. The neck pickup is more bassy and warm, great for clean tones and death metal too, I suppose and the bridge pickup is a little brighter, but not too much. As I said earlier, I only got this today, so I haven't played around on it much, but it seems like it could be quite versitile. This thing blew away some guitar costing twice as much, so overall it's very, very good quality sounding. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, the action was pretty good and low, but not so low that there's loads of fret buzz, although there is some if you pick too violently. Pickups are fine, but the bridge one wobbles a little, so I'll see what I can do to stop it. Bridge seems good, it's easy to play high on the fret board and seems nicely glued in. The only flaw I've found so far is the loose pickup, but it's nothing a screwdriver can't handle, so it's nothing serious. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I only got it today, so I can't comment, although it seems well made and as though it could take a beating. Strap buttons seem very solid, although they're placed in uncoomfortable positions, but I'll get used to it. Overall, it seems like a pretty well built, solid guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: If you play metal, or anything for that matter, this guitar seems very good, especially for the price, which is superbly low for what it is. I've been playing about 6-8 months now and own a really, really bad Strat copy with one pickup. If it was stolen, I'd probably buy one of thier Explorer copies, because I looooooooove Explorers, but this is amazing. I love the sound of the bridge pickup. It sounds pretty similar to a Duncan actually, not quite as good, but nearly. I also love the looks, although I do prefer Explorers, but V's are awesome too. The only not great thing is the neck pickup, which is great for cleans, but with distortion it just sounds too weak, but it would sound good with the Marshall kind've overdrive tone. I've compared this thing to loads. ESP's, Fenders, BC Riches and even a Gibson Flying V and Explorer, which cost twice as much as this, but I honestly prefer this to the Gibsons. If it had a tremolo it would have been nice, but that would have made it more expensive, so it doesn't matter (I'm only rythm guitarist anyway). So, overall, a fantasic guitar with a great price tag. I'd suggest screwing Gibson and just buying this thing. Awesome guitar. // 9

Vector Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2012

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Second Handed

Features: This Flying V-shaped guitar was built in Indonesia. It features a mahogany neck with a 22 fret rosewood board. The neck is quite fat, almost as fat as a Les Paul. The Body is solid mahogany with a maple top, my best guess is that the flamed maple is a veneer. It's finished in a beautiful sunburst with cream binding. The tune-o-matic bridge and upgraded Grover tuners keep their tune, even with large climatic changes. The original pickups where swapped out for a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and a DiMarzio Dual Sound (a 4-conductor version of the Super Distortion), the Neck-pickup is coil tapped by its volume pot, the bridge pickup has a volume pot and they share a tone pot. The guitar came with a sturdy Hamer Gigbag and a cable. // 9

Sound: I mainly play metal, and this guitar is just perfect. Played through a Marshall JCM 800 it's just instant 80s Metallica. The neck pickup has a lot of diversity because of the coil tap, and can create Red HOT Chili Peppers-esque sounds when played through a Fender amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was near perfect, when I bought it had two or three dead notes, but it has since been adjusted. The top is bookmarked perfect, but I suspect it being a veneer. I haven't found any other flaws, but the top nut was just a cheap piece of plastic, and I had it changed for a Graphite nut. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely play this guitar live! The guitar is really sturdy, but I would probably have a backup in reach in case of broken strings. The strap buttons were kind of a problem, but I fixed this with a piece of rubber (Grolsch rubbers, for those who know). // 8

Overall Impression: As I mainly play 80's metal this guitar is great. The DiMarzio humbuckers give this guitar the edge that my Les Paul (equipped with EMGs) lacks. I've been playing for around 2 years now, and have a lot of guitars, but this one just stands out. Playing whilst sitting down is a pain, but you get used to it fast. If she was stolen I'd find the S.O.B. who has it and beat his brains in with the guitar. Overall a great guitar, especially after some upgrades! // 10

More Hamer reviews rating category latest review
+ Slammer XP-1 Standard 7.9 Electric Guitars 12/18/2013