XT EchoTone Review

manufacturer: Hamer date: 04/11/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Hamer: XT EchoTone
The guitar is an ES-359 style semi-Acoustic and is well equipped with Hamer's own humbuckers which have a truly beautiful tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.2
 8.9
 7.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
XT EchoTone Reviewed by: Shaunfromtheuk, on august 14, 2009

Purchased from: John Boots Music

Features: I got the guitar for a bargain price of I think around 320 and the prices literally did go up to around 400 everywhere on not just Hamers but other manufacturers the next day. The guitar is an ES-359 style semi-Acoustic (it is slightly less rounded then some other semis) and is well equipped with Hamer's own humbuckers which have a truly beautiful tone. It has an awesome 2 tone sunburst fade which continues up the neck and headstock. The neck itself has 22 jumbo frets and ivorine Dot inlays. The majority of hardware is chrome such as the stopbar tailpiece and tune-o-matic bridge which are both sturdy and aid the tone. Everything is sound and solid from the controls to the scratchplate. Only thing that lets it down are the 'phlegm' machine heads so called because of their snotty colour but nonetheless they stay in tune well, you can replace them but beware the screw holes do not line up so you may be left with odd holes I personally chose to remove them and paint them myself. It came with a free Hamer gigbag lead and allan key, however I don't know if they all do. Please note one thing I have found is that mine and maybe others look slightly different to on Hamer's website. Mine is not as wide and has more pointed cutaway corners. // 9

Sound: I like a wide variety of music from cream to Guns N' Roses and Pearl Jam to The Who. The guitars tone is just so versatile it can handle any of those styles. You'd be surprised at the variety you can get even without an effects pedal. It reacts well to pedals so none of its soul is lost under the various disguises I personally use a Zoom G1 effects pedal nothing special but it still has about 70 or 80 different effects aswell as drumbeats, but hey thats another review. The Hamer can produce excellent clean tones aswell as bluesy even hard rocky sounds, despite 2 thirds of the guitar being hollow the sound certainly is not is incredibly full. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I cannot comment to much on how it was straight out of the factory as I know the shop do full checks and set ups ready to play straight away, but they keep getting them in so I can only imagine they are pleased with them. I have had no problems. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar non stop for about 8 months and there is not one scratch or anything despite its constant rocking. I have only had to replace strings from natural wear and tear, I use Ernie Ball super slinky mostly. // 10

Overall Impression: You know what I think? I think we have found a real Epiphone killer... // 10

XT EchoTone Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2012

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: local dealer

Features: The EchoTone is a 335 style semi-hollow made in Indonesia, I can't figure out the year it was made. Fat maple neck with bound rosewood fingerboard and 22 frets. Maple body (not laminated) with a mahogany center block. The "horns" are slightly sharper than the classic ES-335. Tune-O-Matic bridge, Tulip tuners, Duncan Designed pickups, 3-way switch, 2 volume, 2 tone controls. The standard dual pickup configuration. // 9

Sound: This is a really versatile guitar. I play pretty much every style of rock ranging from Cream, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix to the Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys... It's an excellent substitute for a Les Paul shaped guitar in terms of tone and can sustain for quite a while. Pretty deep but not as tight as an SG (or fenders, obviously), so not the best choice for funk or similar styles. Unplug it and you get yourself an acoustic at lower volume, be careful though when plugged to loud amps as this will feedback your brains out. I use it with a Blackstar HT-5 and a Fender Mustang III so I can still get away with the feedback. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came pretty much well set-up, the action was a bit to low for my tastes but that was easily fixed. There was a little dent/cut on the 15th and 16th fret below the b string but it doesn't really affect playing except that bending in that area needed some getting used to. The wood and finish are beautifully done on both the body and the neck (which is also sunburst). Also the binding around the whole guitar, fingerboard and f-holes is excellent. The tuners can hold tune for days with constant playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, the sound is a monster but the original electronics were horrible. All the pots failed after some time and replacing them on this type of guitar is a headache. The pups are fine though and I still use them, don't plan on changing them either. I think people at Hamer accidentally put their top secret indestructible finish on mine, it has survived quite few drops and bangs without a dent or a scratch. // 7

Overall Impression: I needed something versatile, and I got it. It was quite search though but in the end it fits my style perfectly. It had its few moments when it gave up on me (pots) but it wasn't a big deal since I don't gig. I have owned it for 3 years now and I don't think I will sell it any time soon if at all. It's big, it's simple and it's different, that why I like it so much. The only thing that I don't really like is the shape of the headstock but that's only a personal preference. Overall its my favorite and I use it more than my Epi SG or Fender HH Tele. // 9

More Hamer reviews rating category latest review
+ Slammer XP-1 Standard 7.9 Electric Guitars 12/18/2013