XT Standard Review

9.7
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
XT Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2008

Purchased from: Music Bay, Herne Bay

Features: It has 22 easy to access frets, the only problem with them is that they get small towards the end, but it doesn't really matter as the playability is still great. It is a solid top alder body guitar, but is very heavy, with a rosewood fingerboard and a maple neck. It is an Gibson Explorer styled guitar, with a TOM, stop tailpiece bridge. There is a three way pick up Switch for the two superb Hamer humbuckers and two volume controls and one tone. A gig bag also came free with this guitar, and since I Live in England and it costs 50 to ship a new one in I think I got this pretty good! All in all great money for the features! // 8

Sound: It suits my style well, it can play all of the lighter stuff with ease such as Audioslave, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Three Doors down etc. Sounds great on clean and gain! It has a massive range and one second I can be playing Elvis, then I can turn the Switch on my amp to Metal Stack effect, change the Switch to the right pick ups and start playing Iron Maiden, simple as. I use a Roland Cube - 20X that has a range of effects such as delay/reverb, flanger, chorus, tremelo and more. All of them go very well with guitar! The feedback is minimal on my Roland, but I find on bad amps the feedback can become quite high, but that's purely because my school amps are rubbish. It has a great rich sound that always brightens my day. Again a good range and capability for the money! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups were set perfectly, there is no other words. The guitar in general was also set amazingly! The action is pretty darn good and the bridge is good too. There were no flaws at all, everything was great. The finish is still shiny and it will be for sometime. Everything is smooth and the wood is top quality, the only negative is the frets and weight really. The controls are fitted on fine and the pickup selector is too. Everything was fitted really well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a rock, I mean it literally ways a tonne, but I love it and it is strong. I've dropped it by accident and it's hardly dented it. This guitar will definately withstand Live playing and already has at a smallish gig! The hardware is very good and will last for a long time to come and the strap buttons are sturdy, pity my strap is poor. I can depend upon it holey and would definately gig without a backup guitar, if you mean not taking another guitar with you, but wouldn't without rhythm, because you need rhythm guitar! The finish will last and I've only had this for like three quarters of a year, but I have put it through sooo much. Still looks amazing! // 9

Overall Impression: It is almost a perfect match to the style of music I play, everything light to heavy rock is fine. Once you get into the metal catergory it isn't as amazing, but it is still good by all means! I have only been playing about a year and I also have a Yamaha APX500 electro-acoustic guitar. If it was stolen I wouldn't get another one, but I'd get the next one up! It is really really good, but Hamer have a better one which must be mind blowing. I love the pick-ups it has great tone and delivers the sound beautifully. I don't like the small frets at the end, but every guitar's frets gets smaller at end these are just even smaller, still good though. I compared it to an Ibanez Les Paul styled guitar and an Epiphone SG. I chose this because of the wider tone and superior sound, also the Les Paul's always slip off me. I don't wish for anything else for it to have, I may put Nailbomb pick-ups on it in the future however. This is a great guitar and I highly recommend it to you! // 9

More Hamer reviews rating category latest review
+ Slammer XP-1 Standard 7.9 Electric Guitars 12/18/2013