FV430 Review

manufacturer: Harley Benton date: 08/17/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Harley Benton: FV430
This guitar is suited to heavier styles of music. The guitar fits nicely with de-tuned songs.
 Features: 4.5
 6.2
 4.5
 7.8
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FV430 Reviewed by: Rock God #1, on november 20, 2006

Purchased from: www.thomann.de

Features: Then again, for an 80 quid guitar (now that is dirt cheap), what do you expect? Saying that, when I opened up the package, the guitar looked absolutely stunning. // 8

Sound: This guitar is suited to heavier styles of music. Therefore, I took it on as a challenge because I'd never really played heavy stuff before (Muse being the heaviest music I've played, especially Origins of Symmetry era). The guitar fits nicely with De-tuned songs (drop D in particular, although it takes some getting used to because of the action). At the moment, I've only used a 50 watt Marshall amp with it. On full volume and with a band to fill in the emptiness, it sounds quality. By design, it's a noisy guitar. I emphasise this though: you don't get any stray sounds from it. Once you play a string, you shouldn't here anything (or very little) from the other strings, so there is no need to palm mute some strings so that they don't sound, unlike on some guitars. It gives off a range of sounds, so it's hard to pin it to a singular. As I've said it can make a variety of sounds. The only problem I have with this is right and left hand tapping. Because of the action and the strings, not much sound comes out when you tap. Therefore, I suggest that you change the strings when you get them, as they are very Standard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The strings are a little too far from the fretboard for my liking. Because of this, you may sometimes hear a 'twangy/plasticy' sound (especially when striking the bottom E string when you're in Drop D or lower). Nonetheless, I've been playing it for about 3 months now, and have adapted to the action. To be honest, it doesn't really effect your playing (other than tapping, as stated earlier). The pickups are fine as far as I can tell, so it'll do for me. Everything is working fine (and believe me, I mean everything. When I first got it, I tried every note on every string to see if they played. I really didn't want a guitar that had a chink in the 19th fret that messed with the notage). One thing that did happen, funnily enough, was on the first day that I got it. I scraped it against a wall, and a piece of the plastic coating of the guitar came off, where the neck is joined to the body. With a bit of help from my friend, Mr. Superglue, the guitar was fine once again. This being said, I would have rather it not fell off in the first place. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made for live playing. I would rather use my other guitars for studio work, as they are crisper and clearer. But, this guitar is very good for Live playing as you can get a lot of sounds out of it and, because of it's shape, is easily maneuverable (i.e. you can swing it round your body/head, bash it against things and keep on playing). I think the hardware will last. No sign of rust yet and even the strings are holding well! The strap buttons on the guitar are very reliable. The strap hasn't broken free in the middle of a Live session yet. The guitar is dependable, although I would always take at least one back-up guitar to a gig, just in case a string or the guitar itself gets broken (the latter is only likely if you actually swing it into someone/something). The finish is great, although smudges from fingers can be seen clearly, as it has a black finish. I'm pretty certain it will last. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, my style of playing is very mellow stuff, and yet, because of the guitar, heavier songs just come naturally through it. Saying that, the guitar isn't limited to one genre. I've been playing for 5 years now and this is my 6th guitar (I have five 6-strings and one bass guitar). I won't go into great deal about them here, but I may write a review for them as well. This Harley Benton is my 6th guitar, and matches up to the other guitars (which is astonishing considering it's price). If I lost it or had it stolen, then I would definitely buy another one (since it's on the house insurance). I love the look of it overall, since that is what I bought it for. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I played it, I really didn't expect it to be that good (again, because of the price). For me, this was a preliminary purchase. I had heard of thomann and I wanted to see if an 80 quid guitar would live up to my standards. Thankfully, it did, and so I am probably going to buy a few more guitars from Thomann. This is a great guitar, for a beginner especially. My first guitar cost 160 from a retail shop. That was a Westfield Strat. Now, compared to that, this is amazing. Twice as cheap, thrice as good. // 8

FV430 Reviewed by: EasyMucy, on august 17, 2010

Price paid: € 130

Purchased from: dealer

Features: This guitar came with... hm... strings. No suitcase no gigbag not much of anything... Just the Standard piece of wood, two out-of-control out-of-scale humbuckers, bridge was screwed only half way in and the strings pulled it almost out. Typical Chinese handywork, but nice as an ornament on the wall. // 1

Sound: While she was stock... The humbuckers were off the scale. They simply screamed, distorted everything, it sounded like some punk band, you know - distortion effect to the max, amps to the max, guitar to the max... Uncontrollable sound. Then I got it overhauled inside out and fitted one Gibson and one Seymour Duncan pickup just to try it on. Things got much better, but as the sound became recognisable two things came out: it gets out of tune in 2 songs and no matter how gently you hold the neck and touch the strings, the neck is so soft it cannot hold a note. Play a note and it goes PYOOOIIINNNGGGG. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: The way this guitar is made - I'd say she's good to be hung on the wall of some bar - she LOOKS hot, but that's it. But even to carry the shape of the Gibson Flying V, a guitar has to be of SOME quality. So in the end I put some Korean (now THAT was an upgrade! - sarcasm) humbuckers that I took off an Epiphone and have it as a reserve guitar in case I tear a string on a concert or something. Bottom line: it's not worth the shape it's carrying. And even the low price is no excuse for this one. // 1

Reliability & Durability: This guitar... hm... if you're a punk band, go The Who on it and smash it at the end of the song. it will probably produce nice splinters. Oh, another good idea - take some white spirit and wipe off the Harley Benton sign and Put Gibson. Then nail it on the wall with a 9-inch nail and say to everyone that you can AFFORD to do that. This guitar is 25% show, 5% go and 70% firewood. // 1

Overall Impression: I am a rocker with thrash metal background. I also play a lot of blues but I like my guitar to sound like it's on steroids. This one - after installing some quality stuff and rewiring, it produced the SOUND, but it just can't hold a note, it can't stay in tune because the wood is so cheap and soft it bends too much. This guitar is just an ornament, a decoration, not an instrument. I wouldn't recommend it even to beginners - even from start you need an instrument that inspires you, not hold you back. My recomendation: go for an Epiphone, it costs just a little more, but at least you can play it and in time, when your knowledge goes forward, you can upgrade it with some serious pickups and wiring to a high-class guitar. This one gives you no perspective, I tried some top-of-the-line gadgets on it and it did nothing. It was like putting a V8 engine on a bycicle. // 1

More Harley Benton reviews rating category latest review