HBMS620 Review

manufacturer: Harley Benton date: 01/22/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Harley Benton: HBMS620
E-Guitar, 2 Humbucker, Floyd Rose Licence-Tremolo, Basswood Body with arched quilted-maple top, Maple Neck with Rosewood Fretboard, Saddle width 44mm, 24 Frets, Scale 65cm, 1 Vol., 1 Tone, 3-way toggle-switch, gold Hardware.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 Features: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
HBMS620 Reviewed by: andrewpledger, on january 16, 2008

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: This guitar is made by a company called Harley Benton Who are the "own brand" for the guitars made by the German music shop Thomann. I am not when or where this guitar was made but it seems like it was made around 2004. It has jumbo frets, maple neck with a rosewood fret board and 24 frets. The neck scale is 65cm with a 44mm saddle width. It has a basswood body with a transparent red quilted maple top. The body shape is a double cutaway with an arched top and slightly arched back, the cutaways are also slightly bevelled on the top. It has a Floyd Rose licensed tremolo with a locking nut on the neck. It has 2 humbuckers with a 3-way selector plus 1 volume and 1 tone knobs. It also came with a guitar lead but I would prefer to use the one I already have (one with the springs on the cable near the jack). // 9

Sound: I mostly play metal and classic rock and this guitar seems able to produce any sounds I require (although this can take some time). I am playing it with the Harley Benton amp that came with the set (HB20G) and no effects in between. The guitar can be quite noisy if the gain is too high but that can be fixed is you turn OD off and use the tone knob. It has quite a bright sound but it lacks depth but I am sure it's the amp. The Floyd Rose is very versatile and can create a variety of sounds although the strings that come with it won't stand up to aggressive use. By combining the 3-way selector and tone you can create lots of different sounds without any effects. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box the action was a little high but that's more my personal preference. Other then that I didn't have to make any adjustments to the pickups or the bridge. The seems to be a few minor flaws in the finish of the wood but nothing to lose sleep over as I only saw them after close inspection. The only other flaw was that I had to give the base screw for the whammy bar because it kept coming loose but that was due to frequent use of the whammy bar( about every 5 seconds). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this guitar long but I think it will last for quite a long time and even if it doesn't Thomann provided an excellent 3 year no questions asked warranty! I don't really play gigs but I am in a Rush/Maiden/Floyd jam band. If I was to play a gig I would probably take a backup just in case but I think it would manage fine on its own. Please note my rating is taking the warranty into account. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this guitar is the perfect match for me as well as the styles of music that play. I have been playing for 1 year now but this is my first guitar. I have had this guitar for a few weeks now and if it was lost or stolen I would definitely buy the same one again. I like pretty much everything about this guitar including the colour, although more colour options would be better. This guitar would perfectly suit a beginner Who is into aggressive whammy use and fast guitar shredding but if their price range is much higher then buy an Ibanez S series. // 8

HBMS620 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2010

Purchased from: Thomanns.de

Features: This very pretty super Strat guitar comes with a licensed Floyd Rose and a wizard II stlyed Neck. I don't know what year it was made in but I do Know that it was made in China. The neck has 24 frets and is very thin. The only difference between this neck and the wizard II neck is that it isn't flat - insted it is just really thin. The neck is made out of maple and rosewood. The body is made from basswood and has a layer of maple on the top so that the transparent finish looks very, very nice. The licensed Floyd Rose is quite hard to use but that is the same with most floyd roses. As is custom with floyd roses it has double locking tuners and came with three allan keys. Also included was a strap and lead. // 10

Sound: I play mainly metal and hard rock but will also play lynrd skynrd style stuff. This guitar is very good for these styles but even better at the metal. I don't use any pedals but I do use a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp and sometimes my smaller Line 6 Spider III 15 watt. It sound really great through both of them. The basswood has a nice warm tone to which is why it can cope with clean settings and distorted ones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar wasn't set up brilliantly in the factory. The action was good and everything but it was terribly out of tune and being a Floyd Rose it is very reluctant to go back in tune however after a while it gave in and is now in tune. Also the wammy bar had quite a confusing way to be set up involving oening up the back of the guitar and screwing parts into place. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the guitar long enough to really say much about the reliability. It hasn't yet fell of it's strap or needed anything doing to it. I am currently considering weather to take this in to paly in esembly in a weeks time or to use my more expensive les paul. The advantage on taking in the Harley Benton is the Floyd Rose but if it goes out of tune or losses a string I'll be stuck. // 9

Overall Impression: Take note that all the ratings are relative to the price because a 4ooo Gibson Les Paul will significantly better. The ratings are vaule for money ratings. I have three guitars: this, a Tokai Les Paul, and a Washburn X10. My les paul is the best but this guitar thrashes the Washburn by miles. Also the Les Paul cost 4oo, this 112 and the Washburn 1oo. However if these guitars were to be sold according to the others it would cost around about 3oo - 350. My point proven when I took it into my guitar lesson my teacher's jaw literaly droped when I told him the price. If this guitar was to be stolen I would first spend the next ten years crying then get one million new Harley Bentons. // 10

More Harley Benton reviews rating category latest review