HBR7-450FR Review

manufacturer: Harley Benton date: 09/05/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Harley Benton: HBR7-450FR
Harley Benton HBR7-450FR 7-string electric guitar, alder body, maple neck with rosewood fretboard, 24 frets, 48mm neck width, 648mm scale, 2 humbucker pickups, 3-way switch, Floyd Rose licensed tremolo system.
 8.6
 7.3
review (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
HBR7-450FR Reviewed by: Sir Edwin CBE, on september 05, 2007

Features: This guitar features 24 frets, a double-locking Licensed Floyd Rose and two unbranded passive humbuckers. An alder body with a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard complete this guitar. It's Strat-like uniform black appearance is quite conservative, not metal-over-the-top so it's appearance wouldn't go out of place for any style you play. Also features 7-in-a-row non-locking tuners, one volume pot, one tone pot and a three way Switch for fine tuning to get the sound you're after. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Zoom G1X into an amp. The effects are my sound (amp has crap distortion). However it's pretty good on the clean channel (nice, clear, bright, shimmering sound). Pretty confident it would suit most styles (can get a few different tones from fiddling with the pickup selector and tone/volume pots). My only concern is that the pickups are a bit microphonic, I sealed them with a wood sealant solution and have noticed an improvement. Setting were also a contribution to the feedback I was getting and fiddling with them has made it much more controllable. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything came setup except the FR had fallen down at one side, a quick fix later (easier than you think) and it was up and playing with a low action for easy playing. There was a little scratch on the underside but that was my only concern aesthetically. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It'll withstand live playing and I'd only recommend the following be added for safety. I dropped my guitar and broke the plastic outer jack cover, replaced it with one that's a black metal one for durability. Thomann could've preempted this and provided bigger strap buttons like the individual ones they sell. // 8

Overall Impression: I play things from funk to hardcore punk to metal to jazz and would say it can handle all of these styles. I wouldn't recommend it for downtuning as it's an annoyance to tune it in between songs (I wouldn't even try it, same to any guitar with a Floyd Rose). I also felt that the low B string was too loose and would recommend a.60 or higher to guitarists Who wanna tune it to B. If anything I wish it was a HardTail for a bit more sustain and so I could mess around with tunings more, but that's just my preference. // 9

More Harley Benton reviews rating category latest review