HBS200 Review

manufacturer: Harley Benton date: 08/29/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Harley Benton: HBS200
Harley Benton HBS200BK double cutaway electric guitar - 2 humbuckers, 3-way toggle switch, 1x volume & 1x tone control, bolt-on neck with rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, nut width 44mm, scale 63cm, colour: Black.
 Reliability & Durability: 4.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 5.5
 5.4
 4.6
reviews (2) pictures (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
HBS200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2011

Price paid: € 120

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: The guitar was made in China and I have no idea when it was made.The body is SG type and has black finish. It has 2 noname passive humbuckers, 3-way toggle switch, 1x volume & 1x tone control, bolt-on neck with rosewood fretboard and 22 frets. Bridge is tune-o-matic type. Tuners are non locking. I got the set with harley-benton 20w amp, gigbag, tuner, strap, few alien keys and cables for around 120 euro. // 7

Sound: I mostly play punk, indie and some country. The guitar not really suits punk or indie, but sound arite with country. I'm using Marshall Jackhammer and Harley Benton practice amp with it. The guitar (and amp)seems to be pretty noisy. Sound is not reach, and gets mixed up. I use 0.12gauge strings, and it has good kind-a bassy sound. It's nearly impossible to make pitch-in (I believe due to crappy pickups). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was set up arite, I just had to adjust the pickups. The rod was set up perfect, frets were pressed ok, hardware was clean, but the 4th string tuning peg is getting stuck and hard to turn from the beggining. Finish was good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wont take this guitar for gig due to the poor sound. Hardware seemed to be arite but like i said, the 4th tuning peg is hard to turn and after a year of using bottom strap button fell off. Finish is easy to scratch, and put dents on it. // 6

Overall Impression: I'm playing for 1,5 yrs now. It`s not good guitar for my music style, but its my first one, and I have learned to play better with it anyway. If it get stolen or lost I wont but same one, I'd rather save some money and buy Epiphone or ESP ltd. Id say the guitar is good for begginers who love rock and country music. I compared it to Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and my HB has a little better finish and hardware, a bit better sound. I wish this guitar has more HOT pickups, but theres a few euro more expensive SG's on Thomann, and I say you better to buy one of those, if you want an a cheap SG type guitar. // 7

HBS200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2012

Price paid: € 95

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: 2 passive humbuckers (generic), 3-way toggle switch, 1x volume & 1x tone control, bolt-on neck with rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, Thomann nut width 44mm, scale 63cm, colour: Black. // 5

Sound: First off, my friend got one of these as his first electric guitar, and I am reviewing it of the impression I got from it. The sound is ok for beginners but I doubt experienced players would be happy. Although my friend is using the Harley Benton amp (which sounds horrible) he got with the guitar, it sounds a bit better when I plugged into my Marshall 15w. A horrible buzz from the guitar which goes away when you touch a screw on the amp or the pickup height adjusting screws. There was also literally no difference at all in tone when switching from bridge to neck pickup. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Playability was ok, but I didn't get a chance to see how level/unlevel the frets were and I don't know if the intonation was set (unlikely). My friend had some tone and volume problems with the guitar so I raised the pickup for him. The electronics are absolutely appalling on this guitar - I know from experience re-wiring my own guitars and I can tell a good from bad soldering job. The electronics are very cheap but worst of all is the soldering job. I never thought it was possible for it to be so bad. The wires are hardly soldered and one of the pickup ground wires is hardly soldered and most of it is hanging off the pot. I told my friend to upgrade the electronics and I'll rewire it for him (although these guitars and worth putting a lot of money into) which he said he wants to do. This will make a good difference and hopefully get rid of the buzz I talked about. The frets are dull looking and looked like there was kind of liquid dried onto them. There was a load of green gunk on the fretboard from the 17th-22nd fret. The control knobs are strat-style which look horrible and feel cheap. They are also just about touching the surface of the guitar. The control cavity looked like someone took a chisel to it around the components because the weren't long enough to fit through the body. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely not withstand constant live playing and I would never trust it. The hardware should last but the tuners could be upgraded and the electronics will definitely give way sooner or later. // 3

Overall Impression: I know that this review might sound like a hate message to Harley Benton, but I'm really giving my honest opinion of this guitar as someone with 6 years of experience. I'm not comparing it to any high-end guitars like Fender or Gibson either as I don't have any. I was going to buy one of the Harley Benton Les Pauls because they're so cheap, but after seeing my friend's SG, there's not a chance I would. I would highly recommend keeping your money and getting an Epiphone, Squire or another known brand guitar in the same price range. I wouldn't recommend this guitar for beginners, as you may not realise how poor the quality is. Again, it's nothing against the people who made the guitar, it's just very bad quality - at least the one I played was. // 4

More Harley Benton reviews rating category latest review